1871 - What Sort Of Housing Was This?

Guest David Corn

Guest David Corn

Hi all,

I am researching my family in Sheffield (before they emigrated to Australia in 1879) and was hoping someone could help me understand the type of housing that is indicated for them in the 1871 census.

The address seems to be 56 Charles Street and, as I read it, the houses are indicated as "Court 6, 1st House" (where my great grandmother is living as a 20 year old) and the next family at "Court 6, 2nd House" etc. If anyone would like to see the record it is attached.

Does anyone know what type of dwellings these were?

Many thanks.

David

Hi all,

I am researching my family in Sheffield (before they emigrated to Australia in 1879) and was hoping someone could help me understand the type of housing that is indicated for them in the 1871 census.

The address seems to be 56 Charles Street and, as I read it, the houses are indicated as "Court 6, 1st House" (where my great grandmother is living as a 20 year old) and the next family at "Court 6, 2nd House" etc. If anyone would like to see the record it is attached.

Many thanks.

David

Morning and welcome David

Court houses were built round a central communal yard or "court yard" and were very poor quality places. The houses and workshops would have shared toilets, washing facilities etc.

Here's a picturesheffield photo of one on Hollis Croft.

Court

You'll get a better idea by going back to picturesheffield search page. There are thousands of images on there.

Look under "H" - then "Housing" and then add "Court" to the 2nd search box

There's a discussion on the subject of numbering here:

Court Houses

Quite a long one as the numbering system seems a bit random at times and seemed to have been different in different locations..

I can't remember if it was ever resolved definitively.

Hi all,

Many thanks.

David

Hi David welcome to the forum and thanks for adding the image,

we have a Topic that tries to explain how court addresses work here .. How Did Court Addresses Work?

Here is a link to a photo showing the bottom of Charles Street at the junction with Brown St and Paternoster Row,

from what I can work out the houses shown are in the area of Courts 6 & 8.

Link .. Here

Thanks everyone - Your comments answered my question.

Many thanks,

David

Great that we can be of service.

Any questions about Sheffield History, - just ask.

Usually at least one of our members will know, or have an idea, or know where to start searching.

I have often been amazed at what information we have come up with in answer to local history questions.