Was this ?

dunsbyowl1867

Affirmative, used to pass it on my walk to work in the 70s. It went downhill quite quickly after all the housing thereabouts was demolished. You can see the Bowling green at the bottom of the hill but the pub known as the Beehive just round the corner was demolished long ago.

Affirmative, used to pass it on my walk to work in the 70s. It went downhill quite quickly after all the housing thereabouts was demolished. You can see the Bowling green at the bottom of the hill but the pub known as the Beehive just round the corner was demolished long ago.

Thanks Gramps - I'm quite interested in the area as my Great Grandad's family lived on Grimesthopre Road (round about 1900) with the junction of Botham Street and he married my great Grandma ( as he would) who live on Botham street about 30 yards away. Do you recall these houses - I assume brick terraces ? Any other memories?

I only passed through the area on my way to work but knew a few people who had lived in the area. The road from that junction down to Carlisle street was popularly known as 'Crown Hill, because I think the pub on the corner was called the Crown Hotel, proper name was Carlisle road. I often called in the Alexandra at the bottom of the hill, for a pint on my way home, which was always crowded with Firth Brown's men.

All the housing had come down before my time there, probably late 60s - early 70s. There is a huge thread on the Sheffield forum inhabited by old Grimesthorpians - in fact the first post mentions Botham street. It will take a while to read it though...5,000 posts and counting lol

This map would probably reflect how it was in your g-grandfather's time.

I only passed through the area on my way to work but knew a few people who had lived in the area. The road from that junction down to Carlisle street was popularly known as 'Crown Hill, because I think the pub on the corner was called the Crown Hotel, proper name was Carlisle road. I often called in the Alexandra at the bottom of the hill, for a pint on my way home, which was always crowded with Firth Brown's men.

All the housing had come down before my time there, probably late 60s - early 70s. There is a huge thread on the Sheffield forum inhabited by old Grimesthorpians - in fact the first post mentions Botham street. It will take a while to read it though...5,000 posts and counting lol

Thanks Gramps - I have read that thread but decided life was too short!

<br />Thanks Gramps - I have read that thread but decided life was too short!<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

HI Dunsbyowl l found that thead was starting to be boring, theres a section of them who are just posting anything, just to increase the numbers ,Skeets

&lt;br /&gt;I'm sure I went here once - I think it is called Upwell Street. Now a &amp;quot;hotel&amp;quot;&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />HI This photo is the old Grimesthorpe Club re; your family they would be nieghbours of the local shop run by George Gleadhall ,who also had a piggery on top of the old quarry, oposite the shop lived pals of mine Charlie Lowe ,Jeff Bingley and families. Skeets

&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />HI This photo is the old Grimesthorpe Club re; your family they would be nieghbours of the local shop run by George Gleadhall ,who also had a piggery on top of the old quarry, oposite the shop lived pals of mine Charlie Lowe ,Jeff Bingley and families. Skeets

Thanks Skeets - my Great Grandfathers name was Whitaker ( one of them had a joinery business in the area) and my Great Grandmother's surname was Morris.

Cheers for your memories

Thanks Skeets - my Great Grandfathers name was Whitaker ( one of them had a joinery business in the area) and my Great Grandmother's surname was Morris.

Cheers for your memories

Robert L WHITAKER Joiner 94 (back of) Upwell Street; h. 860 Grimesthorpe Road Kelly's 1925

A relation perhaps ?

Robert L WHITAKER Joiner 94 (back of) Upwell Street; h. 860 Grimesthorpe Road Kelly's 1925

A relation perhaps ?

Yes thanks Gramps that was my grandfather's brother!

'Dunsbyowl' post. Thanks Skeets - my Great Grandfathers name was Whitaker (one of them had a joinery business in the area) and my Great Grandmother's surname was Morris. Cheers for your memories.

CORRECTION TO HEADING "WAS THIS GRIMESTHORPE CLUB" I SAID IT WAS GRIMESTHORPE CLUB, SKEETS