Threpeney Bit Kiosk on Pond Street

Guest shezza91

Guest transit

....found this pic of the kiosk from the mid 80's !!!!

Note also the "consevatory" style ends had also been added to the station buildings.

http://bit.ly/pblhnJ

....found this pic of the kiosk from the mid 80's !!!!

Note also the "consevatory" style ends had also been added to the station buildings.

http://bit.ly/pblhnJ

Great picture transit, and now we have it in colour as well.

Guest transit

Great picture transit, and now we have it in colour as well.

...yeah Dave - now that WAS a bus station eh !? ;-)

"The pressie-buttonie-lightie-uppie-map-thingie near the thrupenny Kiosk fella"

Do you mean "You are here" near the fifty pence piece as it was called after decimiisation

Do you mean "You are here" near the fifty pence piece as it was called after decimiisation

50p has 7 sides,

3d had 12 sides,

How many sides did the kiosk have?

50p has 7 sides,

3d had 12 sides,

How many sides did the kiosk have?

The pictures in this topic suggest it had eight sides, so neither 3d nor 50p :blink:.

The pictures in this topic suggest it had eight sides, so neither 3d nor 50p :blink:.

That's funny.

Before they rebuilt the school I work at the old school had a couple of freestanding octagonal classrooms round the back.

Even up to the day they were demolished in 2003 they were referred to by everyone (including kids born after decimalisation) as the "threepenny bit rooms"

Over the years I got tired of telling people they were wrong, the rooms were octagonal and a 3d coin was duodecagonal. :angry:

I used to work in the Threepenny bit in 1977.

It was John Menzies newsangents (I was a trainee manager). John Menzies also had another "branch" on platform E and a warehouse in the old buildings at bottom of the bus station behind the SUT? building. Those buildings have long since been demolished.

I remember being called out after a break in at the Threepenny bit. I ended up serving people at 4am with papers and fags through the broken window. People would not accept that we weren't open.

It used to get really busy on saturday afternoons when footie fans congregated on their way home from the match waiting for the Green Uns to arrive.

I also remember the pushie-lightie-uppy- thingy.

My brother David, also worked as there as trainee manager, probably about 79/80, later moved onto manage stores in Dewsbury and Lime Strret, Liverpool.

I remember that kiosk (would love a picture) and the lightie-uppie-thingie, great post :rolleyes:

Welcome to, er, here :rolleyes: and thanks for reminding us of that !

Here's an old photo - not very clear though

All contributions gratefully received Organgrinder, Thank you.

Any idea of the year of the picture please ?

Here's an old photo - not very clear though

All contributions gratefully received Organgrinder, Thank you.

Any idea of the year of the picture please ?

Not sure of the year but it shouldn't be hard to find out - they are obviously in the early stages of building the college and I'm sure I have it down somewhere when this was .

Most likely mid or late 50's, I would think.

Will get back with the date when I find it.

Good - gives everyone else a chance to chip-in ...

Not sure of the year but it shouldn't be hard to find out - they are obviously in the early stages of building the college and I'm sure I have it down somewhere when this was .

I have another photo from a different angle which is dated 1960 - they were building Arundel gate at the same time.

A few days ago member Henry Pond posted a link to Pete Hill's photo site, on which can be found this photo.

Not many colour photos of this about, excellent, some great photo's on the site

Good - gives everyone else a chance to chip-in ...

In the background mist that looks like Park Hill Flats

If so that would push the picture into the early 1960's, Park hill was built in 1959 and opened in 1961

The college(now Hallam university) is being built in the foreground.

I seem to remember the college, still under construction, was damged in the 1962 Sheffield gale (something to do with a crane being blown over, see the Pathe news video in the Sheffield gale topic)

So I will edge my bet at a date between 1959 and 1961.

I have another photo from a different angle which is dated 1960 - they were building Arundel gate at the same time.

Thanks organgrinder, your date of 1960 fits my estimate in the previous post perfectly.

Not many colour photos of this about, excellent, some great photo's on the site

So what is the date on this more modern colour photograph?

Or is it also a 1960 photo, - but in colour?

So what is the date on this more modern colour photograph?

Or is it also a 1960 photo, - but in colour?

A clue is the (what looks to me like) Kennings "all over livery" bus

One of the transport people will Know the dates for those.

Kennings bus

Furthermore you can see the top of a Blue and cream bus (right hand side) as well as one of those beige coloured ones (on Pond Hill.)

That should make it easy for someone

Kennings bus

Furthermore you can see the top of a Blue and cream bus (right hand side) as well as one of those beige coloured ones (on Pond Hill.)

That should make it easy for someone

I don't think the bus you mention is Blue/Cream

This photo is not that old, the land has been cleared in the middle distance for Ponds Forge, the modern extension to Pond Street between the old bus station and the Station is built, but Sheaf Valley baths is still there.

I would say late 80's.

Could do with Transit/Bus Man on this one they'll know

It's probably only the last 10 - 20 years that Vox has been used. Probably not universally either, I can only speak for the live band scene and recording studos that I've been in. Mixing desks have a little strip which the engineer "tapes up" and writes the instrument that the channel is currently assigned to below each slider.

There's a stop on pipe organs labelled "VOX HUMANA" (latin for human voice) which makes a sound like a massed choir when accompanied by other stops.

Your reference to RSC amplifiers brought back unhappy memories. I used to spend hours repairing the damned things for friends and relatives who were on the club circuits.

They were made down to a price with inadequately rated components and appeared to have been soldered together by chimpanzees. Usually running a pair or quad of EL34 output valves they produced so much distortion that the fashionable at the time distortion pedals were un-necessary. The output bottles often ran so hot that the anodes glowed red-hot and the vacuum shrunk the melting glass envelopes onto the anodes. I remember paying more for a pair of decent HI-FI quality output transformers than I would have paid for an entire RSC amplifier.

HD

Here is a great picture from J R Wrigley's book "A Sheffield Camera". You can see the "Threepenny bit Kiosk" to the right and the "Pressie-buttonie-lightie-uppie-map-thingie ' to the left

Excellent !