Threpeney Bit Kiosk on Pond Street

Guest shezza91

Or, as it was vox that was asking

Was it the Autumn Almanac as favoured by the Kinks?

Autumn Almanac

Well done for remembering that one Dave - I'd forgotten all about that song.

Well done for remembering that one Dave - I'd forgotten all about that song.

So who's Almanac was it that he was selling an out of date version of?

You seem to have a few options now.

So who's Almanac was it that he was selling an out of date version of?

You seem to have a few options now.

I have to admit that untill now I've never known what an Almanac was.

It was 45/50 years ago. I was on my own and didn't have my mom with me to drag me by and tell me "you don't want one of those" so I bought one out of curiosity. It was "last years" and seemed to be just a load of figures and lists. I probably left it on the bus or something.

If no one else remembers him all I can say is it was an almanac and probably cost me a few pennies.

He was there quite regularly and after that I used to wonder how he got away with it for so long without getting "run out of town" by someone a bit bigger and older than me. B)

I have to admit that untill now I've never known what an Almanac was.

It was 45/50 years ago. I was on my own and didn't have my mom with me to drag me by and tell me "you don't want one of those" so I bought one out of curiosity. It was "last years" and seemed to be just a load of figures and lists. I probably left it on the bus or something.

If no one else remembers him all I can say is it was an almanac and probably cost me a few pennies.

He was there quite regularly and after that I used to wonder how he got away with it for so long without getting "run out of town" by someone a bit bigger and older than me. B)

Can't imagine it being Whitaker's Almanac, which is (or was, in the late seventies when I had a copy) a wedge of a book, over 1000 pages long and quite costly.

Old Moore's Almanac, as favoured by my grandfather, was a thin volume full of "useful" information such as tide times, sunrises & sunsets etc, as well as a lot of other less useful stuff. I have a feeling it was actually called Old Moore's Almanack.

Having searched the Internet I am convinced that it was Old Moores Almanac that was sold on the streets as this front cover looks very familiar of the style that blokes on the street tried to push at you.

This one has 2 unusual features :

A]

Its 1849 date means that this one is well out of date if sold now, and its cover design is exactly as I can remember more recent issues.

B]

Why is the first word at the top of the page VOX :o

Guest Paul Buckley

I used to work in the Threepenny bit in 1977.

It was John Menzies newsangents (I was a trainee manager). John Menzies also had another "branch" on platform E and a warehouse in the old buildings at bottom of the bus station behind the SUT? building. Those buildings have long since been demolished.

I remember being called out after a break in at the Threepenny bit. I ended up serving people at 4am with papers and fags through the broken window. People would not accept that we weren't open.

It used to get really busy on saturday afternoons when footie fans congregated on their way home from the match waiting for the Green Uns to arrive.

I also remember the pushie-lightie-uppy- thingy.

Can't imagine it being Whitaker's Almanac, which is (or was, in the late seventies when I had a copy) a wedge of a book, over 1000 pages long and quite costly.

Old Moore's Almanac, as favoured by my grandfather, was a thin volume full of "useful" information such as tide times, sunrises & sunsets etc, as well as a lot of other less useful stuff. I have a feeling it was actually called Old Moore's Almanack.

I remember it as a paper backed booklet.

According to tsavo's link below:

Almanac is the Irish publication

Almanack is the British publication

QUOTE (tsavo @ Jul 6 2009, 10:00 AM) It would have been "Old Moores Almanac". Don't know if it's still published.

Info; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Moore%27s_Almanac

So this pictuire must be of an Irish one from 1949

Having searched the Internet I am convinced that it was Old Moores Almanac that was sold on the streets as this front cover looks very familiar of the style that blokes on the street tried to push at you.

This one has 2 unusual features :

A]

Its 1849 date means that this one is well out of date if sold now, and its cover design is exactly as I can remember more recent issues.

B]

Why is the first word at the top of the page VOX :o

************* VOX STELLARUM************Voice of the stars ?***************

************* VOX STELLARUM************Voice of the stars ?***************

It's a misprint WE

It should read VOX STELLA

(after all - I am but one) :rolleyes:

It's a misprint WE

If you are but one, how come you can be seen lurking furtively in so many places at once ? W/E.

It's a misprint WE

If you are but one, how come you can be seen lurking furtively in so many places at once ? W/E.

No vox you don't want to be a star!

When I am teaching physics / astronomy I will often say to an over talkative or non attentive student "you're a star"

The kid will invariably take this as a compliment until I point out what a star is,

Something that is full of hot gas and far away.

In another strand somewhere of a more technical nature we have covered VOX amplifiers in relation to vox (amp in upper left of picture)

But who is this 1960's looking group?

Is our vox in it?

In another strand somewhere of a more technical nature we have covered VOX amplifiers in relation to vox (amp in upper left of picture)

Is our vox in it?

No Dave - I don't know who they are, but I'm in this one - 1963 aged 14 in the Locarno Ballroom.

I'm the left hand one of the 2 short ones in the middle.

Watkins Rapier guitars and Watkins Bass. RSC Valve Amplifiers from RSC (Used to be next door to where Mace's pet shop was)

Reslo ribbon mics.

P.S.

VOX is a double reference:

It not only applies to my love of the AC30.

But also Vox is what is written on mixing desks to signify Vocals. (Guit for Guitar - Sn for Snare etc.)

Is our vox in it?

Sadly no. Its Ray Gibson and the Wanderers with new vocalist Barry Ford, pictured mid 60s at the Shiregreen Hotel.

Sadly no. Its Ray Gibson and the Wanderers with new vocalist Barry Ford, pictured mid 60s at the Shiregreen Hotel.

Now I have heard of Ray Gibson and the Wanderers, didn't recognise them though and I was put off by the word "Barry" at the bottom of the picture.

No Dave - I don't know who they are, but I'm in this one - 1963 aged 14 in the Locarno Ballroom.

I'm the left hand one of the 2 short ones in the middle.

Watkins Rapier guitars and Watkins Bass. RSC Valve Amplifiers from RSC (Used to be next door to where Mace's pet shop was)

Reslo ribbon mics.

P.S.

VOX is a double reference:

It not only applies to my love of the AC30.

But also Vox is what is written on mixing desks to signify Vocals. (Guit for Guitar - Sn for Snare etc.)

I have put some stuff in another thread, I think its OCSK one about different acts that appeared at the City Hall, which sort of betrays my love of Jazz and Swing as well as 60's pop.

In it RichardB copied out an entire Jazz orchestra and I explained all these sorts of abbriviations in a post, you know (c.) = clarinet, (as.) = alto sax, (tb.) = trombone, (p.) = piano etc.

Interestingly the abbreviation used for a vocalist is (voc.) rather than vox so I missed that connection as well.

Interestingly the abbreviation used for a vocalist is (voc.) rather than vox so I missed that connection as well.

It's probably only the last 10 - 20 years that Vox has been used. Probably not universally either, I can only speak for the live band scene and recording studos that I've been in. Mixing desks have a little strip which the engineer "tapes up" and writes the instrument that the channel is currently assigned to below each slider.

Everyone must remember this and also does anyone remember that thing on the hill just up from the kiosk where you pushed buttons and it lit up which platform your bus was going from (I think!!).

Does anybody of more senior years remember the similar device that used to stand in the Exchange Street entrance to the Norfolk Market Hall. The entrance stood a few yards away from the whitewashed steps that led down into the celler premises of Maces Pet Store, a magnet for every young lad of the baby-booming generation. When the market hall was demolished they de-camped across the road, but by then grass snakes and hamsters didn't have the same attraction.

Guest jonceebee

I also recall Pond Street "Nora" we always used to walk past her in pond Street en route home from the Esquire Club on to Bridge Street Bus Station and yes her language was exceptional. I also remember she was always shouting "ashes", I never worked out what she meant by this.But what a difference a few decades make-she would have been physically abused these days and never left alone. We often missed the last bus (150 ex-Bridge Street ) back to Shiregreen and would walk all the way home from the City passing placed like Spital Hill, Pitsmoor, Firvale and Firth Park without being threatened or in trouble with anyone. Great memories and I feel proud to have been part of the 60's generation

.But what a difference a few decades make-she would have been physically abused these days and never left alone. We often missed the last bus (150 ex-Bridge Street ) back to Shiregreen and would walk all the way home from the City passing placed like Spital Hill, Pitsmoor, Firvale and Firth Park without being threatened or in trouble with anyone. Great memories and I feel proud to have been part of the 60's generation

Over the last few decades the root of family life has gradually been eaten away, and that was the basis of the greatness of this country. We have lost those happy days forever. W/E.

Sorry to drag this old thread up but i have a somewhat unusal angle picture if this location...this was approx 1987 judging by the bus liveries

Sorry to drag this old thread up but i have a somewhat unusal angle picture if this location...this was approx 1987 judging by the bus liveries

Sorry to drag it up!!! :blink:

That's a brilliant post andyrad and a fantastic picture.

Just the sort of stuff we like members to post ;-)