Threpeney Bit Kiosk on Pond Street

Guest shezza91

I have really struggled to get these last 2 negatives of the kiosk to give a decent picture, mainly because they were taken late on in the evening in December 1970 when it was already dark. So what does a lad with a 35mm camera and a new wide aperture f2 lens do to try it out? take picture in very low light levels of course! The first picture shows the darkness of the evening but again only shows half the kiosk. the second shot shows all the kiosk, most of it in shadow and to make things worse the negative itself appears to have partially solarised, a condition in which it reverses itself to become a positive. Notice although the buses are OK the kiosk appears negative. i have taken the step of scanning the negative as a negative image for the third picture, notice that now although the buses are in negative the kiosk looks OK! I can't win with this one so I'll leave these as the best of a bad job for now.

WOW!!

I had scanned these negatives on a HP scanner with a "transparent materials" scanner built into the lid and HP imaging software, BUT, I have just tried out a new dedicated negative and transparency scanner which can scan to 5M-pixel quality and automatically adjust everything, even using different settings for different parts of the same negative. What a fantastic difference it makes.

Oh and by the way, that kiosk appears to be octohedral (8 sided)

Those of us who were handling money before decimalisation in February 1971 can remember that a "thrupenny bit", the old 3 pence, or 3d as it was, was in fact dodecahedral (12 sided).

So more correctly this kiosk was a very early "octagon centre".

Oh and by the way, that kiosk appears to be octohedral (8 sided)

Those of us who were handling money before decimalisation in February 1971 can remember that a "thrupenny bit", the old 3 pence, or 3d as it was, was in fact dodecahedral (12 sided).

So more correctly this kiosk was a very early "octagon centre".

Just found this old B/W photo lurking in a drawer, similar viewpoint as DAVEH's photo but perhaps from a lower level.

Not sure of the year yet but I note there are South Yorkshire Logos on some buses.

Just found this old B/W photo lurking in a drawer, similar viewpoint as DAVEH's photo but perhaps from a lower level.

Not sure of the year yet but I note there are South Yorkshire Logos on some buses.

I suppose there is a possibility we were in town together and both took similar pictures on the same day but I can't actually remember this. Mine is taken from the CineCenta level landing while yours seems to be from further up Pond Hill.

Bringing this photo upto date

Looks like another good one for the THEN and NOW thread to me.

Yes I am going to do that

today's shot was taken from the 1st floor level, if you go up to the 2nd level 'Cinecentre' there are barriers all over the place, can't see Pond Street. There are a lot of renovations going on, will try at a later date.

This photo is taken from the stairs going upto level 2

Guest transit

Yes I am going to do that

today's shot was taken from the 1st floor level, if you go up to the 2nd level 'Cinecentre' there are barriers all over the place, can't see Pond Street. There are a lot of renovations going on, will try at a later date.

This photo is taken from the stairs going upto level 2

....if only you took a "today" shot of this , to your left ????Looks like the same position , late 60's , showing the "you are here" machine!....

....if only you took a "today" shot of this , to your left ????Looks like the same position , late 60's , showing the "you are here" machine!....

Not quite but near enough

The later addition to the HPO building has now been demolished.

Not quite but near enough

This isn't a then and now shot, but if you take transits picture from post#58 and my own from post#47 of this thread and compare them then -

1) Transits is from the walkway below the Top Rank Suite and mine is from the footbridge over to Pond Street but the viewpoints are only yards apart.

2) Transit says "late sixties" for his and I know mine is December 1969 / January 1970 so in terms of time they are also very close.

Are there any significant differences between these 2 pictures which indicate any changes between the dates?

"The pressie-buttonie-lightie-uppie-map-thingie near the thrupenny Kiosk fella"

I don't half talk some tosh !

We were going to mention that :)

That's not a load of tosh at all,

Every Sheffielder of a certain age would know instinctively what "The pressie-buttonie-lightie-uppie-map-thingie near the thrupenny Kiosk fella" was if you were talking about the old Pond Street bus station.

Then again, to anyone else from anywhere else, it is as you say merely a load of tosh.

That's not a load of tosh at all,

Every Sheffielder of a certain age would know instinctively what "The pressie-buttonie-lightie-uppie-map-thingie near the thrupenny Kiosk fella" was if you were talking about the old Pond Street bus station.

Then again, to anyone else from anywhere else, it is as you say merely a load of tosh.

"I knew I was sane !"

Peter Lorre - Sheffield Bus Station - 1973

Guest roger mortis

Hi the thing i remember about the light up map thingy was me and a wednesdayite mate lighting up

both hillsborough and bramall lane up so the map did'nt just contain the town center.

Also seem to remember a chocolate machine next to it at sometime mid to late 70s ?

threpnybit? kiosk? used to buy my daily newspaper from there when i started work at royal mail 1979

also if you look at the royal mail building that incorperates the penny black pub on the pond street side high up

on the wall is a stone kettle this was to commemerate a bussiness that was on the site it was built on that

apparently made kettles also for those who have access to the inside of the building there is another kettle

built into the wall on the 4th floor where the old canteen used to be.

Also a memory of pond street was after swimming at sheaf valley baths going to the cafe on one of the platforms

probably E? right inbetween the ladies and gents bogs :rolleyes: but you could get some lovely greasy chips with

ketchup and a milk shake :P MMMmmmmmmmmm

Also a memory of pond street was after swimming at sheaf valley baths going to the cafe on one of the platforms

probably E? right inbetween the ladies and gents bogs :rolleyes: but you could get some lovely greasy chips with

ketchup and a milk shake

Great standards of hygene, health and safety then lol

Guest roger mortis

when i say between the bogs :rolleyes: the toilets where actually underground you had to go downstairs to use them

so it was actually above them ;-) maybe thats even worse lol

And very often standing near the "You Are Here" machine was a bloke selling -- The something Almanac which was always at least a year out of date.

Then in winter there was the hot chestnut man with his barrow on the corner just below.

It would have been "Old Moores Almanac". Don't know if it's still published.

Info; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Moore%27s_Almanac

Learning all the time!! I often wondered what it was used for.

Wiki says it is still published.

I remember buying one from him out of curiosity 40 odd years ago and not really making any sense of it. (Quite apart from it being out of date.)

Is there still a chestnut man on the corner in winter?

I don't go down there anymore.

Guest transit

This isn't a then and now shot, but if you take transits picture from post#58 and my own from post#47 of this thread and compare them then -

1) Transits is from the walkway below the Top Rank Suite and mine is from the footbridge over to Pond Street but the viewpoints are only yards apart.

2) Transit says "late sixties" for his and I know mine is December 1969 / January 1970 so in terms of time they are also very close.

Are there any significant differences between these 2 pictures which indicate any changes between the dates?

...an earlier view - as trams were abolished in 1960 (the old type!) then this must be mid -late 50's as the featured tram was new in 1952 .........