Threpeney Bit Kiosk on Pond Street

Guest shezza91

"The pressie-buttonie-lightie-uppie-map-thingie near the thrupenny Kiosk fella" would today be known as an "Interactive Map" or an "I-Finga" - how dull !

Guest shezza91

"The pressie-buttonie-lightie-uppie-map-thingie near the thrupenny Kiosk fella" would today be known as an "Interactive Map" or an "I-Finga" - how dull !

he hehe hehe he he he

Guest carlie167

Are you sure they were chestnuts ? Just found this

23 Flat Street, Kelly's 1973, Hester Lester, Cannibal Poodle-Castrator

possibly ...

Whatever, they were hot and yummy, so who knows!!!!!!!! :P:P :P

Guest transit

That must have been a Morning shot because the Hot Chestnut Man is not there, You could not get better roast chestnuts.

I :unsure: seem to remember him being there from around bonfire night , up to Christmas. He was usually "pitched-up" at the bottom of the steps , beside the"map".

I remember getting hot chestnuts on our way down to see Santa in his grotto on The Moor - must have been mid to late sixties as I was about 9 or 10 . Going to see Santa wasn`t for me by the way but my 3 year old sister at the time - oh and my 15 year old brother lol.

I suppose that's inevitable when your bus station becomes a "Transport Interchange"

Another couple of photos including one showing Pond Street in earlier times.

Yes it was Sheaf Valley Baths, and also Claywood flats in the background. Ooooh the chestnut man, I remember him, I used to buy chestnuts to eat on the bus on my way home from work. Lovely stuff!! lollol

little bag of chestnuts for an old six pence!

Bargain

I love chestnuts, must be my Sheffield upbringing

I remember that kiosk (would love a picture) and the lightie-uppie-thingie, great post

Having just got Tsavo a picture of the Carlton cinema from my archive (reputedly the only one known to exist!) he encouraged me to scan other old negatives and post them. Here is a picture of the kiosk (at least half of it!) outside the bus station in Pond street taken by me in 1973 or 1974. It offers a closer view of the detail on the kiosk and those yhings that look like cigarette machines / chewing gum machines on the outside. I also have 2 other negatives of the kiosk (all of it this time) dated 1969 1970 but these are so underexposed that they don't show any detail in the scan, but when I have time I will work on it. In the meantime, enjoy this shot.

Great pic Dave, I still prefer monochrome shots for their inpact. You appear to have a pile of little treasures, so keep on posting them!

Guest transit

Having just got Tsavo a picture of the Carlton cinema from my archive (reputedly the only one known to exist!) he encouraged me to scan other old negatives and post them. Here is a picture of the kiosk (at least half of it!) outside the bus station in Pond street taken by me in 1973 or 1974. It offers a closer view of the detail on the kiosk and those yhings that look like cigarette machines / chewing gum machines on the outside. I also have 2 other negatives of the kiosk (all of it this time) dated 1969 1970 but these are so underexposed that they don't show any detail in the scan, but when I have time I will work on it. In the meantime, enjoy this shot.

....great pic ! - do you have anymore which may feature local buses/trams ect?

....great pic ! - do you have anymore which may feature local buses/trams ect?

My days of photographing odd bits of Sheffield start in 1967 (Norfolk school photo club) and end around 1986 (got married and had a family to photograph instead). So proper trams ended before I started (1960) and Supertrams started after I had moved on (1994). I have not specifically photographed buses, only if they were passing and just happened to appear in the shot, so I can't say what might turn up on one of my old negatives.

You seem quite a transport buff, and as a member of Sheffield Steam Society for the last 17 years (since 1991) I have hundreds of pictures of traction engines at various steam rallies and these pictures may feature old cars, motorcycles and commercial vehicles. Obviously on this site I would only post such pictures that had a definate Sheffield connection.

I have hundreds of pictures of traction engines at various steam rallies and these pictures may feature old cars, motorcycles and commercial vehicles. Obviously on this site I would only post such pictures that had a definate Sheffield connection.

Don't wory about a Sheffield connection, Dave, that's what the "Non Sheffield Chat" section is for. I'd love to see some steam engine shots and can get quire nostalgic about old cars............!

I have hundreds of pictures of traction engines at various steam rallies and these pictures may feature old cars, motorcycles and commercial vehicles. Obviously on this site I would only post such pictures that had a definate Sheffield connection.

Don't wory about a Sheffield connection, Dave, that's what the "Non Sheffield Chat" section is for. I'd love to see some steam engine shots and can get quire nostalgic about old cars............!

Remind me about the kiosk - it sounds familiar ?

was it buttons - with a description - that lit up white lamps showing where it was ?

HI ADMIN Yes l recall these things , it lit up showing the platform number of your chosen destination, all those phone boxes. a big post box[one could almost climb in], Star seller, hot chestnut man, and always people waiting for someone,a busy corner in those days. Cheers Skeets.

Guest plain talker

Remind me about the kiosk - it sounds familiar ?

was it buttons - with a description - that lit up white lamps showing where it was ?

There was the newsagent kiosk, with a funnily-shaped roof, reminiscent of a threepenny bit, that stood outside platform A at the bus station, just before flat street started climbing toward FitzAlan Square, and the GPO.

A few yards further on, up the hill from the thru'ppeny bit Kiosk, there was a metal display case, which held a map of the city centre.

There were little torch sized lights, on the map, which lit up when you pressed one of a row of buttons across the bottom of the case. for example the button labelled "market" would light up a bulb on the map corresponding with where the market was located.

The two items feature large in the psyche of most Sheffielders, as much as the Famous fish tank under the hole-in-the-road.

A few yards further on, up the hill from the thru'ppeny bit Kiosk, there was a metal display case, which held a map of the city centre.

There were little torch sized lights, on the map, which lit up when you pressed one of a row of buttons across the bottom of the case. for example the button labelled "market" would light up a bulb on the map corresponding with where the market was located.

The map had one little torch light which was on all the time and was prominently labeled "YOU ARE HERE", the bulb obviously being positioned at the Pond street location on the map and presumably very useful to someone arriving in the City by bus and not knowing their way around

I seem to remember, from The Star or Radio Sheffield, that when it was removed it was sold off privately to become someones personal play thing. I wonder how much that would have fetched on eBay?

I also have 2 other negatives of the kiosk (all of it this time) dated 1969 1970 but these are so underexposed that they don't show any detail in the scan, but when I have time I will work on it. In the meantime, enjoy this shot.

I have really struggled to get these last 2 negatives of the kiosk to give a decent picture, mainly because they were taken late on in the evening in December 1970 when it was already dark. So what does a lad with a 35mm camera and a new wide aperture f2 lens do to try it out? take picture in very low light levels of course! The first picture shows the darkness of the evening but again only shows half the kiosk. the second shot shows all the kiosk, most of it in shadow and to make things worse the negative itself appears to have partially solarised, a condition in which it reverses itself to become a positive. Notice although the buses are OK the kiosk appears negative. i have taken the step of scanning the negative as a negative image for the third picture, notice that now although the buses are in negative the kiosk looks OK! I can't win with this one so I'll leave these as the best of a bad job for now.

"The pressie-buttonie-lightie-uppie-map-thingie near the thrupenny Kiosk fella"

Finally a picture of the "you are here" map as we used to call it.

This picture was also taken in 1970 through the window of the Pond Street overpass from the Cinecenta / Fista site to the Central Bus Station. as it is taken through a window there are a few shadows, ghosts and reflections.

the picture is shown twice, the upper one marking the position of the illuminated map.

Even managed to rescan and clean this one up a bit, hope it looks much better now.

Even managed to rescan and clean this one up a bit, hope it looks much better now.

In The Sheffield Star book "Sheffield in the Seventies" by Peter Goodman, there is, on page 80 a photo of Pond Street Bus Station taken in 1974. This includes the Threepenny Bit Kiosk

In The Sheffield Star book "Sheffield in the Seventies" by Peter Goodman, there is, on page 80 a photo of Pond Street Bus Station taken in 1974. This includes the Threepenny Bit Kiosk

OK Stuart, I suppose there is a chance that you were actually there with me when these photo's were taken, or even developed in the school darkroom, its so long ago I can't really remember much about then to the extent that I don't really know what I am going to find in the next negative wallet.