Threpeney Bit Kiosk on Pond Street

Guest shezza91

Guest shezza91

Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 21.42.40.jpg

Everyone must remember this and also does anyone remember that thing on the hill just up from the kiosk where you pushed buttons and it lit up which platform your bus was going from (I think!!).

Remind me about the kiosk - it sounds familiar ?

was it buttons - with a description - that lit up white lamps showing where it was ?

I remember that kiosk (would love a picture) and the lightie-uppie-thingie, great post :rolleyes:

Welcome to, er, here :rolleyes: and thanks for reminding us of that !

Guest shezza91

Do you think that was the technical name for it - "The lightie-uppie-thingie"?

lol

Nice one mate, would love to see a picture of it.

It overlooked the penny black pub, just at the top of those steps.

Sure that illuminated street map on Flatt Street, wasn't the only one in Sheffield. Cannot recall where I remember others!

Maybe Fargate?

I asked about the thrupney bit kiosk on the most wanted photo forum.

Here is a great picture from J R Wrigley's book "A Sheffield Camera". You can see the "Threepenny bit Kiosk" to the right and the "Pressie-buttonie-lightie-uppie-map-thingie ' to the left

Here is a great picture from J R Wrigley's book "A Sheffield Camera". You can see the "Threepenny bit Kiosk" to the right and the "Pressie-buttonie-lightie-uppie-map-thingie ' to the left

Great stuff...

The site was almost cleared for the building of the new sorting office, the old City of Sheffield housing office is still in place, SUT office etc.

My guestimate on date is somewhere in the period 1964-6. Anyone got a closer date?

Great stuff...

The site was almost cleared for the building of the new sorting office, the old City of Sheffield housing office is still in place, SUT office etc.

My guestimate on date is somewhere in the period 1964-6. Anyone got a closer date?

The exact date of the photo is August 14th 1965

"The pressie-buttonie-lightie-uppie-map-thingie near the thrupenny Kiosk fella"

Quality posting, as always !

Guest tsavo

The building works in the foreground, are the building of the Pond Street multi storey carpark, Fiesta and Cinecenta etc.

Guest transit

The building works in the foreground, are the building of the Pond Street multi storey carpark, Fiesta and Cinecenta etc.

....and of course, the infamous building what was to become Top Rank / Roxys / Steeleys /and recent reincarnation as the Music Academy! I remember the street map which showed most of Sheffield , with a big arrow and a small flashing bulb in the centre stating"you are here"!

Guest tsavo

Had an experience with one of those maps, trying to navigate with caravan around Roscoff France, in the dark. Found a lovely map as you describe but the "You Are Here" arrow was curled up in the bottom of the frame. About as much use as a......!

Guest carlie167

<_< Here is a not marvellous pic of the Threpenny Bit kiosk. Dont know if anyone can make it a bit better, if you can then feel free.

Guest shezza91

<_< Here is a not marvellous pic of the Threpenny Bit kiosk. Dont know if anyone can make it a bit better, if you can then feel free.

That brings back great memories. Thanks.

Guest tsavo

Tweaked a bit.

Guest carlie167

Thanks Tsavo, looks a bit clearer now. Wonder why that little van is trying to get into the bus station!!!!!!!!

I remember "The pressie-buttonie-lightie-uppie-map-thingie near the thrupenny Kiosk fella" please note I was only young but I remember it. I tried to light up as many as I could with the help of a friend. he helol he he

That must have been a Morning shot because the Hot Chestnut Man is not there, You could not get better roast chestnuts.

Guest carlie167

Yes it was Sheaf Valley Baths, and also Claywood flats in the background. Ooooh the chestnut man, I remember him, I used to buy chestnuts to eat on the bus on my way home from work. Lovely stuff!! lol lol

Yes it was Sheaf Valley Baths, and also Claywood flats in the background. Ooooh the chestnut man, I remember him, I used to buy chestnuts to eat on the bus on my way home from work. Lovely stuff!! lollol

Are you sure they were chestnuts ? Just found this

23 Flat Street, Kelly's 1973, Hester Lester, Cannibal Poodle-Castrator

possibly ...