Bendy Buses

Sheffield History

Guest transit

We need to id whcih one it is , as soom reports say it is 2012

...dont think it carries any id on the show (fleetnumbers or reg plates) so the only hope is to check the paintwork similarities????

Guest bus man

...dont think it carries any id on the show (fleetnumbers or reg plates) so the only hope is to check the paintwork similarities????

Not another cuban dominator job

Guest bus man

Managed to find this one from my arhive its the official launch of the FIRST BATCH thats why there are so many people aboutit was launched from the bus staion

Transit: you may know the young in the blue jacket and troucers on the left of the bus near the railings

Guest bus man

.....just as i said at 6.17 !! ;-)he he

Alright you ve got it right for once not bad once in 45 years is it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Some sites were reporting it was 2012 however from the evidance in the programe agaist our recoreds its 2011

Guest transit

....finally on tonight . Sun 8pm BBC 2 Top Gear - featuring ,amonst others the ex-SY BENDY 2011, - C111 HDT which was new to Mainline, and last with Stansted Travel (reregistered as BBZ 8051)

The bus was entered service -as most Sheffielders will remember- on the "clipper"route 500 , in the wave style livery ,similar to sisterbus 2002 (pic 1)...

Then 2011 had a repaint into the "meadowhall shuttle" livery in the early 90's (pic 2)....

The last few months of service with Stansted Travel before withdrawal (pic 3).....

Watch tonight as it gets smashed to bits -another preservation chance gone!!!!!! :(

....to watch again , just go on youtube , print in top gear bus , and watch the 7 minute clip . :o

....to watch again , just go on youtube , print in top gear bus , and watch the 7 minute clip . :o

They were not built for racing were they lol

Guest transit

They were not built for racing were they lol

....it must have been almost armour plated with all that paint ! - just found it in 2 more liveries to add to my last post!!!!....

Guest bus man

....it must have been almost armour plated with all that paint ! - just found it in 2 more liveries to add to my last post!!!!....

Not sure but i think the yellow one may have been on the dambusters special - can any one confirm this - YES I KNOW I WAS THERE but my memories are going

Managed to find this one from my arhive its the official launch of the FIRST BATCH thats why there are so many people aboutit was launched from the bus staion

Transit: you may know the young in the blue jacket and troucers on the left of the bus near the railings

Do we at Sheffield History know the dude in the blue crinoline suit? :)

Guest plain talker

*PT coughs, pointedly*

On the Pond Street Bus Station thread, someone had commented that it was a pity that we had no pics of the shops which were on the Gallery "deelie" above Pond Street. and here we are, *clap* - the Scoop and Save, the butchers, (which I am sure were a Dewhurst in years gone by) the bakers, the Amusements and "The Friery" (and no doubt Blaskeys, and the Minerva, just out of shot to the right...)

Guest transit

*PT coughs, pointedly*

On the Pond Street Bus Station thread, someone had commented that it was a pity that we had no pics of the shops which were on the Gallery "deelie" above Pond Street. and here we are, *clap* - the Scoop and Save, the butchers, (which I am sure were a Dewhurst in years gone by) the bakers, the Amusements and "The Friery" (and no doubt Blaskeys, and the Minerva, just out of shot to the right...)

......already posted PT (closer - WITH NAMES!!!!) under Pond St shops in Sheffield Chat . :rolleyes:

Guest plain talker

......already posted PT (closer - WITH NAMES!!!!) under Pond St shops in Sheffield Chat . :rolleyes:

Ouch! beaten to the punch! hehe

Guest bus man

Do we at Sheffield History know the dude in the blue crinoline suit? :)

When I first downloaded this I though it was philip (wont give surname) from bakewell however I dont think it is , i cant find the neq strip or print showing the bus next to the board as philip is on that I could check what he was wearing that day

SHOP QUESTION

What was scoop before it was scoop

Guest transit

When I first downloaded this I though it was philip (wont give surname) from bakewell however I dont think it is , i cant find the neq strip or print showing the bus next to the board as philip is on that I could check what he was wearing that day

SHOP QUESTION

What was scoop before it was scoop

...no Busman, i think i know who you meant , but i dont recognise who this is ! Maybe someone on here will !(rewind around 30 years!) - Dont know your shop question answer either , but check out my post in Sheffield History Chat -Pond Street Shops :unsure:

Guest bus man

...no Busman, i think i know who you meant , but i dont recognise who this is ! Maybe someone on here will !(rewind around 30 years!) - Dont know your shop question answer either , but check out my post in Sheffield History Chat -Pond Street Shops :unsure:

I have now found some more digitised photos of the event , and it is NOT philip as he is on the first bendi it could be someone from the press as they were there in large numbers

Guest rick9525

These were the second fleet of bendybuses to grace Sheffield's streets. The first ones were introduced on a purely experimental basis in about 1979-80 and

ran on the number 500 City Clipper for about a year, but were eventually sold on.

The ones pictured above entered service in 1986, again on the Clipper, which if memory serves was always free, until the abolition of SYCC coupled with deregulation later that same year forced the introduction of a 5p flat fare, followed by the route's demise a few years later.

I remember them being launched with a big open day event at Greenland Road garage (long since demolished to make way for B&Q), when they operated a

shuttle service between the depot and Pond Street. At least one or maybe two out of the batch were also painted in "Fastline" livery, had coach-type seating

and two doors instead of three, and were based at Rotherham for use on the X91 (also now defunct).

Towards the end of their use they occasionally cropped up on other routes as well - I definitely remember one turning up on the 287 one morning.

The clipper was indeed always free and after a long days shopping we used it to get back to where the car was parked usually from Waingate up to Charter row which at that age (5) was a very long way. I remember the pictured bendy bus and used to always sit on the bendy bit. I remember them last on the Batemoor route though by then I had moved but came to Sheffield quite often to visit grandparents in Ecclesall.

Guest plain talker

The clipper was indeed always free and after a long days shopping we used it to get back to where the car was parked usually from Waingate up to Charter row which at that age (5) was a very long way. I remember the pictured bendy bus and used to always sit on the bendy bit. I remember them last on the Batemoor route though by then I had moved but came to Sheffield quite often to visit grandparents in Ecclesall.

(My bold) The city clipper actually cost, at first, when the Leyland National single deckers were on the route.

It only became free after the bendibuses started serving the route, because of the laws around charging for passengers on an articulated vehicle. I remember about fifteen years ago the bendibuses serving Jordanthorpe on the ?505? route that ran out to Meadowhall (or Mad-As-Hell, as I call the place!)

Guest littlemalc

I well remember the excitement when we first started with the bendi's, Alec Lee who was head of the driving school at that time, was one of the driving school inspectors who actually drove one back from I think Dover, they were very advanced for that time, with a turbo twelve litre engine, one of the features that I have not seen mentioned on this post, was a fuel fired heating system which could be lit up in a morning to get the interior warm before going into service.

The first attempt we had at reversing these at the driving school at Greenland, was an aquired art, getting used to the steering rear axle was certainly different.

When they went into service on the clipper, the left turn from Castlegate into Haymarket could be a shock for any motorist in the offside lane alongside the bus, as the rear end used to swing out, many a minor shunt took place there.

They also took one or two motorists by surprise at the speed at which they could get off the mark from lights etc, not what most car drivers at that time were used to from a bus.

From an engineering point of view they were well in advance of what we were used to then, Leylands, Daimlers etc, and as one old driver remarked, from the same bloody firm that made u-boat engines!

I well remember the excitement when we first started with the bendi's, Alec Lee who was head of the driving school at that time, was one of the driving school inspectors who actually drove one back from I think Dover, they were very advanced for that time, with a turbo twelve litre engine, one of the features that I have not seen mentioned on this post, was a fuel fired heating system which could be lit up in a morning to get the interior warm before going into service.

The first attempt we had at reversing these at the driving school at Greenland, was an aquired art, getting used to the steering rear axle was certainly different.

When they went into service on the clipper, the left turn from Castlegate into Haymarket could be a shock for any motorist in the offside lane alongside the bus, as the rear end used to swing out, many a minor shunt took place there.

They also took one or two motorists by surprise at the speed at which they could get off the mark from lights etc, not what most car drivers at that time were used to from a bus.

From an engineering point of view they were well in advance of what we were used to then, Leylands, Daimlers etc, and as one old driver remarked, from the same bloody firm that made u-boat engines!

Hi `littlemalc`. Ironically, the first bus to be converted to diesel in Sheffield [Karrier fleet No 139] was powered by a Mercedes engine. W/E.

Guest littlemalc

As York is now my nearest city for shopping etc, we see the FTR regularly, it's a superb futeristic looking machine, but the thing that perplexes me, is the drive chain, the Volvo engine is in the rear trailer driving the rear wheels, I should think in wintery weather this could be a recipe for jack-knifing, anyone know anymore about this drive layout?

And here's another Mainline livery carried by 2012:

And here's another Mainline livery carried by 2012:

Found another livery on a bendy bus whilst going through my old photos: this one is the standard yellow and red Mainline livery with additional lettering for the 501 Meadowhall Shuttle service they migrated to after Mainline lost the City Clipper contract in the early deregulated era. At some point the 501 was extended to Batemoor and Jordanthorpe, and I recall the bendy buses being used on the 552 (as mentioned previously) and on morning peak hour extras on the 51.

The names given to the second batch of bendies (the Danish built Leyland-DABs) were

2001 Cutty Sark

2002 Samuel Plimsoll

2003 Storm King

2004 Fiery Cross

2005 Sir Lancelot

2006 Flying Cloud

2007 Pegasus

2008 Queen of Clippers

2009 Challenger

2010 The Great Republic

the three coach-seated ones for the X91 don't appear to have been named.