Bendy Buses

Sheffield History

There is a photo in the star archives of one stuck on the roundabout at top of church st

I was working the city clipper route with a bendy that day. When the fitters arrived they were told in no uncertain terms to cut down the railings that the bus was stuck up against so it could be driven forward and out of the way. Imagine the same thing happening today, no one would want to take responsibility for a decision likethat anymore.

I can also remember during the summer of 1983 or pos 1984 a horse drawn version that took people from Moorfoot to the other end of town and was known as:-

The City Clopper :rolleyes:

The city centre plants did well that year I think?

Guest bus man

I was working the city clipper route with a bendy that day. When the fitters arrived they were told in no uncertain terms to cut down the railings that the bus was stuck up against so it could be driven forward and out of the way. Imagine the same thing happening today, no one would want to take responsibility for a decision likethat anymore.

I understood that the bus was backed off after the "stops " had been removed by someone going underneath to do it , the bus concerned was a MAN. The leylands had the same facility but this was a switch in the cab which was accesable by lifting a flap

Guest plain talker

Yes they were free they each had names like Sir Lancelot, can't remember the others though, but all had registrations C***HDT, after being taken off the city clipper service they were put on the 501 Sheffield to Meadowhall express service.

Many Sheffield schools had dibs in naming the clipper buses, my (step) son's school, St John's Park, named one of the buses (but I'm not sure which).

They were (to my remembrance)

The Cutty Sark (of course!)

Fiery Cross

Sir Lancelot

The Flying Cloud

Great Republic

and I'm sure that there may have been others named

Eureka and Enterprise

Guest transit

Many Sheffield schools had dibs in naming the clipper buses, my (step) son's school, St John's Park, named one of the buses (but I'm not sure which).

They were (to my remembrance)

The Cutty Sark (of course!)

Fiery Cross

Sir Lancelot

The Flying Cloud

Great Republic

and I'm sure that there may have been others named

Eureka and Enterprise

....yes the 3rd style bendibuses were named -mostly with the "clipper" (as in maritime) connection , complete with wave-style livery . They carried a mock brass nameplate above the drivers cab and front entrance on the outside as can be seen in pic 1 .. although they lost their names several years later when they were resprayed in standard or overall ad livery before their early withdrawal ..pic2 (by the way , i also went to St Johns - when it first opened when brand new in '72 - so sad to see its gradual decline and final arson attack to what was a super modern building at the time - now all gone in less than 40 years! :( )

Guest bus man

Cutty Sark was named by the PTE the rest as others have said by schools, one of the name plates went back to the school who named it as they requested it the others are in a private collection, but have been on public display .

At the launch there were people dressed in period dress, 2001 cutty sark did of course meet its name sake when it was on loan to London official photos were taken with them together - I think it was very good of some one to name a ship after a PTE bendi bus he hehe hehe hehe hehe hehe hehe hehe he he he

Guest transit

...seem to remember the name "City Clipper" was also named by a winning woman passenger , after a competition by Sypte when the route was first announced - likewise the "Early Bird" early 80's.

Guest plain talker

....following my earlier post yesterday , heres the first and second gen style bendy's...

I've just cottoned on to where the second photograph was taken! *duh!* it's outside the Penny Black on pond hill!

(and weirdly enough two of the passengers boarding the clipper, look like me and my sister !)

Guest bus man

Both the photos links above show the first generation bendis.

One is a M.A.N and the other is a Leyland. The second generation were badged as Leylands

Guest transit

Botht he photos links above show the first generation benis one is a man and the other is one of the leylands the second generation were badged as Leylands

.....quite right busman ! - but i meant the 3 types of bendibus styles/models which the "general public" would remember. I dont think we will see the likes of them again in Sheffield following all the recent bad press mostly from London.

Guest transit

Some of them did end up with B.B.C though?.....Im sure I read about them going there in one of the bus mags.....whether they went there directly from First or not.

The rest of the information in my post came straight from the horses mouth as it were....whilst down at OG one weekend I was told the tale about not letting other operators have old First Group vehicles....and again I'm sure B.B.C was mentioned. I seem to remember that they were repainted a burgundy and cream, or the ones I saw in the article were.

I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong, bus man.

...this one of them???

Guest bus man

I have had an unconfirmed report that the trailers for the current series of top gear features a bus race. My correspondant reports that one of the buses used is an Ex SYT bendi bus - one of the DABs - Sorry not seen trailer nor do I have further details

Guest transit

I have had an unconfirmed report that the trailers for the current series of top gear features a bus race. My correspondant reports that one of the buses used is an Ex SYT bendi bus - one of the DABs - Sorry not seen trailer nor do I have further details

...yes , i've seen a quick glimpse of the trailer , and thats what i thought !!!!- will be watching each sunday 8pm BBC 2 ! :o

Guest transit

...yes , i've seen a quick glimpse of the trailer , and thats what i thought !!!!- will be watching each sunday 8pm BBC 2 ! :o

....FOUND IT BUSMAN !!!!!!! - go on youtube , print in Top gear series 12 ,(click on the clip posted by porschelieber ,3rd from top) and watch! Looks like its the BBC Bendy like the photo i posted above , though no reg plate! ;-)

Guest transit

....FOUND IT BUSMAN !!!!!!! - go on youtube , print in Top gear series 12 ,(click on the clip posted by porschelieber ,3rd from top) and watch! Looks like its the BBC Bendy like the photo i posted above , though no reg plate! ;-)

..the SY bendy featured was last used by Bath, and was supplied by Stansted Transit to the BBC. The other 3 buses featured are Dennis Dart , Metrorider , and NC Olympian supplied by Ensignbus! --- whilst on the subject of bendybuses , take a look at this latest creation - albeit destined for Las Vegas . ----

Guest plain talker

..the SY bendy featured was last used by Bath, and was supplied by Stansted Transit to the BBC. The other 3 buses featured are Dennis Dart , Metrorider , and NC Olympian supplied by Ensignbus! --- whilst on the subject of bendybuses , take a look at this latest creation - albeit destined for Las Vegas . ----

They look incredibly like the FTR that's in use in l**ds and York.

http://www.goftr.com/york/view.php

Guest transit

They look incredibly like the FTR that's in use in l**ds and York.

http://www.goftr.com/york/view.php

.... yes they are - bodied by Wrights (www.wrightbus.com) .The "purple caterpiller" was trialled in York (after having a brief visit to Canklow,Rotherham!)and was called officially the ftr bendibus (future travel). Most Wright bodied vehicles carry a "W" style symbol moulded in the bodywork under the windowscreen . The Las Vegas one is the latest offering and was recently exhibited at the Euro 2008 show , and is just a LHD version of the ftr with some more " tweaks" for improvement. See below other wright bodied buses -the d/d is very familier in Sheffield !....

Guest transit

...no show of the "bendy" in last nights Top Gear (9 nov) - so will watch next week , as i always do anyway ! lol

Guest plain talker

.... yes they are - bodied by Wrights (www.wrightbus.com) .The "purple caterpiller" was trialled in York (after having a brief visit to Canklow,Rotherham!)and was called officially the ftr bendibus (future travel). Most Wright bodied vehicles carry a "W" style symbol moulded in the bodywork under the windowscreen . The Las Vegas one is the latest offering and was recently exhibited at the Euro 2008 show , and is just a LHD version of the ftr with some more " tweaks" for improvement. See below other wright bodied buses -the d/d is very familier in Sheffield !....

the Wrights Gemini?

I didn't actually notice the trademark "W" on the front of the Vegas bus, till you just pointed it out! duh!

Guest transit

Found this photo

Taken whilst on trials in 1977

....yes ,that was the demonstrater that started the whole bendibus revolution in Sheffield and later beyond ! It was obviously LHD as was destined for foreign use , and was painted yellow. Got a colour pic somewhere ...

Guest bus man

....yes ,that was the demonstrater that started the whole bendibus revolution in Sheffield and later beyond ! It was obviously LHD as was destined for foreign use , and was painted yellow. Got a colour pic somewhere ...

It was used in public service running "tours" from the bus station to the bus station the passangers were given a question aire some where I have the ticket taht was issed . The operation was specially licenced by the DOT for the bus to be used

Guest transit

....finally on tonight . Sun 8pm BBC 2 Top Gear - featuring ,amonst others the ex-SY BENDY 2011, - C111 HDT which was new to Mainline, and last with Stansted Travel (reregistered as BBZ 8051)

The bus was entered service -as most Sheffielders will remember- on the "clipper"route 500 , in the wave style livery ,similar to sisterbus 2002 (pic 1)...

Then 2011 had a repaint into the "meadowhall shuttle" livery in the early 90's (pic 2)....

The last few months of service with Stansted Travel before withdrawal (pic 3).....

Watch tonight as it gets smashed to bits -another preservation chance gone!!!!!! :(

Guest bus man

....finally on tonight . Sun 8pm BBC 2 Top Gear - featuring ,amonst others the ex-SY BENDY 2011, - C111 HDT which was new to Mainline, and last with Stansted Travel (reregistered as BBZ 8051)

The bus was entered service -as most Sheffielders will remember- on the "clipper"route 500 , in the wave style livery ,similar to sisterbus 2002 (pic 1)...

Then 2011 had a repaint into the "meadowhall shuttle" livery in the early 90's (pic 2)....

The last few months of service with Stansted Travel before withdrawal (pic 3).....

Watch tonight as it gets smashed to bits -another preservation chance gone!!!!!! :(

We need to id whcih one it is , as soom reports say it is 2012