MACES Pet Shop.

Guest shezza91

Guest shezza91

s01974.jpg

MACES PET SHOP

Haymarket, Sheffield City Centre 

Near the Sheaf and Castle markets, they had a mynah bird called Henry that used to talk to you upstairs.

At least I don't think its still there, Apologies if it is. I haven't been down that way for years.

It's gone

It changed to a clothes shop for a while

I remember Mace's

HUGE bags of food downstairs - up the (very tight and dangerous !) stairs to the upstairs that was crammed with animals !

Guest shezza91

It's gone

It changed to a clothes shop for a while

I remember Mace's

HUGE bags of food downstairs - up the (very tight and dangerous !) stairs to the upstairs that was crammed with animals !

Thats right, every sort of pet upstairs. Puppies, Kittens, Loads of birds and pigoens. Fish and terepins etc.

How did they fit them all in up there. I wouldn't imagine they'd get away with it these days.

Do you remember Henry?

I certainly do remember Henry - great fun !

I remember the steps up to the top floor - curving round to the right

Very very steep, very narrow and very dangerous

Just trying to remember what was on the walls on the way up..

Guest shezza91

I certainly do remember Henry - great fun !

I remember the steps up to the top floor - curving round to the right

Very very steep, very narrow and very dangerous

Just trying to remember what was on the walls on the way up..

I seem to remember those plastic moulded pond liners hung on the walls on the stairway.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just a memory of Maces

After we had been married a few months, we aquired a kitten from a friend, unfortunatly it was killed a few months later by a speeding motorist (and we lived on a cul de sac!!) -anyway, my wife was absolutly heartbroken and we thought it a good idea to get another kitten as soon as possible, so we went of to RSPCA and got a little black and white kitten.

A week or so later the brother in law and I had several bevvies too many one lunchtime session and arrivng back at our place, late - ish afternoon, he took one look at our new kitten and said, with all the aquired knowledge that only many pints of Stones' can give you - "that little bugger is lonely - lets go and get it a mate from Mace's "

Now only two pissed guys would get on a bus at Woodseats at about 3:30 in the afternoon to go into town to get a kitten from a pet shop -and there was ONLY one shop in our minds - just to give you some idea of the fame of the place

So we got there around 4:00, staggered upstairs and explained to the assistant we were looking for a kitten, preferably black and white, to match the one we had already got. She was extremly patient cus i do remember the brother in law taking a fancy to the minha bird or something and wanted to buy it - at the same time working out how he could explain THAT one to his missus - reckoned that he wanted to teach it to speak in a yorkshire accent and he stood there for ages

saying "Eyup polly" - the girl must have said that it wasnt for sale so we got back to the important job in hand...

Don't remember picking him, but somehow we got the little black and white thing, in its box, back on a bus and home before the wife got back from work.

When she got home and saw our new aquistion we thought we were in for major brownie points - but no - she bollocked both her brother and me for being so stupid -why did we think we needed TWO cats? - to top it all it had a manky weeping eye, it shook, and it dribbled when you stroked it.

The brother in law said he would have it, but the wife pointed out that his wife was allergic to cats, which he did recall so he sloped off to let me face the rest of the concert that the wife gave me.

It all turned out all right tho - both cats took to each other and became just like two brothers - and despite his shortcomings the Maces cat outlived his partner by a couple of years and passed away at the ripe old age of 15.

I am sorry to hear that Maces has closed - when you were a young kid in the 60's and just making your first 'solo' trips into town it was always one of the places you HAD to visit.

I got a rescue dog from the RSPCA and on the anniversary of getting him I used to buy a big bag of complete food from Maces to donate to the RSPCA.They always used to give me another free to donate.Used to love going round looking at the wonderful animals there.

to top it all it had a manky weeping eye, it shook, and it dribbled when you stroked it.

gahahahahaha !!!!!

lol

Guest mackyD

I remember dragging my mum round Mace's every Saturday afternoon during the 70's! (And being told by my dad before we went, "Don't bring anything back!") One Saturday, quite late, just before closing, we went in as usual and in the corner of one of the cages was a tiny ginger and white kitten sitting all alone looking really sad. Of course, I HAD to have it but my mum said no cause my dad would go mad! I got it anyway - then spent the journey home worrying that my dad would freak! Anyway he did! But it didn't make any difference cause I still kept the cat!! And I swear that cat knew my dad wasn't impressed by him because it hated my dad!

Guest lesvegas

I remember it well

I remember being disgusted at the faunarium full of locusts

Has the city centre even got a pet shop now??/

to top it all it had a manky weeping eye, it shook, and it dribbled when you stroked it.

Sounds like the wife :rolleyes:

Guest parkwooder

I remember Maces when it used to be in the wicker. Me and my brother used to buy peanuts to feed the monkeys.

Guest christopher

My friend's mother used to work in Maces and we used to get dog biscuits from her.

I would like to know who your friends mother is as I worked there for some time and may know her.

I look back at my days there and think. It was hard work, but I was only young then and enjoyed it.

Guest janice844

I've found a black and white photo from the 60's, by the look of it, (I'd put it on here but I'm not sure about copyright???)

The pet shop on the corner of the Wicker and Stanley Street was called J Hutchinson, I used to know a lad called Kim who

worked there in about 1971.

Has the city centre even got a pet shop now??/

There's one off the bottom of the Moor on Suffolk Road, Middleton's? Not just pets though, pet food etc and gardening on the ground floor, pets upstairs.

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

Looking backwards I saw this topic..I loved Maces as a kid..the one and only Petshop in sheffield town centre at the time. WE used to coo and arrrrhhh over the pet mice, Mina birds and dogs, (my dad was allergic to dogs, so I never got one when I was a child..except for gerbils instead from Maces) in fact as soon as I left home I went to maces and got myself a dog. She was a Black cross labrador, runt of the litter but lived until 20 years old bless her! I miss her so much, but now have another from a petshop in Maltby...a cross rotty called Rogue (my son named her after the girl in XMen).

John Mace Ltd., Exchange st, Sheffield, and Branches. Phone 24671.

The Maces that I remember best was the one located in cellars under the Norfolk Market Hall. You went through a small doorway in Exchange Street and down some steep stone steps. Hanging from the ceiling above the steps on bits of string were various galvanised chicken feeders, water troughs etc. The only thing to show on Exchange Street was the sign-board and I think a small "blind" display window. The thing I remember about the place was the whitewashed walls and the smell, not unpleasant, from the sacks of animal feed and plant seeds. No trip to town with my mother was complete without a look at the grass snakes, rabbits and budgies and canaries. The only thing I ever bought was a champaign coloured hamster. During the summer months it was kept in a small hutch outside. It eventually bit it's way out and escaped. We thought that was the end of it until the neighbour complained that a little furry thing was digging holes in her rockery. A careful watch confirmed that it was the escapee but we couldn't catch it. I don't think it survived the winter because it wasn't seen again.

When the Market Hall was demolished Maces moved into the new shop on two levels over the way. It didn't seem the same.

HD

I went there for the tropical fish. But they were not very good at keeping them alive, so unless it was a fish that I wanted I didn't like buying from there. But I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that the place smelt awfull :wacko: The stories I've heard of cats and dogs being sold as flea infested sick animals, doesn't surprise me why it's not still there.

I went there for the tropical fish. But they were not very good at keeping them alive, so unless it was a fish that I wanted I didn't like buying from there. But I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that the place smelt awfull :wacko: The stories I've heard of cats and dogs being sold as flea infested sick animals, doesn't surprise me why it's not still there.

It was a different kettle of fish :) in the old days ! Maces started going down hill after they had moved from the old Norfolk market hall. W/E.

John Mace Ltd., Exchange st, Sheffield, and Branches. Phone 24671.

This was when Maces was situated under the Norfolk Market Hall I bought my first Grass Snake from there.

This was when Maces was situated under the Norfolk Market Hall I bought my first Grass Snake from there.

Could never afford a Grass Snake nor a Green Lizard come to that,

had to settle for a Crested Newt from their shop at the Castle Market. :(