Characters Of Sheffield

Guest SuzyC

Guest SuzyC

As I am new to the site don´t know if this hasn´t already been started but who remembers......

Lizzy in Pond Street Bus Station, greeting all newcomers with a string of profanities.

I think he was called American Joe, certainly he was a "*****" driving round in a big Yankee car in the 60´s with a straw Panama hat on and smoking whatever. Think he was a bouncer somewhere and had been a wrestler.

On Norfolk Road alone, in my childhood, we had Mervyn and ginger Roy who were definitely barking but friends of mine. It wouldn´t happen now would it??

As I am new to the site don´t know if this hasn´t already been started but who remembers......

Lizzy in Pond Street Bus Station, greeting all newcomers with a string of profanities.

I think he was called American Joe, certainly he was a "negro" driving round in a big Yankee car in the 60´s with a straw Panama hat on and smoking whatever. Think he was a bouncer somewhere and had been a wrestler.

On Norfolk Road alone, in my childhood, we had Mervyn and ginger Roy who were definitely barking but friends of mine. It wouldn´t happen now would it??

Is Lizzy the same person referred to here as Pond Street Nora? Seems to have the same characteristics.

Guest SuzyC

Is Lizzy the same person referred to here as Pond Street Nora? Seems to have the same characteristics.

Sounds like the same person, but I always thought she was called Lizzy (this would be in the 60´s). I understood she lived on a council estate at Parson Cross and the house was really dilapidated with a very overgrown garden.

Sounds like the same person, but I always thought she was called Lizzy (this would be in the 60´s). I understood she lived on a council estate at Parson Cross and the house was really dilapidated with a very overgrown garden.

So if "Pond Street Nora" (as I always knew her) and "Lizzy" are the same person (not heard of Lizzy before, - you learn something new every day!)

Nora?

Lizzy?

What exactly was her real name?

I am sure we have answered this one on here somewhere before, - I think we got her real name from some obituary or death record somewhere.

Mervyn and Ginger Roy?

Well at Norfolk School you could have had to put up with those 2 well know Sheffield characters DaveH and Stuart0742.

Both barking, but both friendly, and we're still around.

So it probably would happen now ;-)

Welcome to Sheffield History SuzyC

Notice that you have made a few interesting posts already, - just what we need, someone to make new posts and get our interest back in things we had almost forgotten.

Nice to have you on board.

So if "Pond Street Nora" (as I always knew her) and "Lizzy" are the same person (not heard of Lizzy before, - you learn something new every day!)

Nora?

Lizzy?

What exactly was her real name?

I am sure we have answered this one on here somewhere before, - I think we got her real name from some obituary or death record somewhere.

Here you are

Pond Street Nora

More Specific

Real name Nora Kathleen Welbourne

So she has to be a "nora" then, - Pond Street Nora.

Now, is Lizzy the same person.

If not, who was she?

If she is the same one, who, other than SuzyC, has heard of her being called "Lizzy"? (I hadn't)

Perhaps Lizzy was a name given to her by people who didn't know her real name was Nora.

After all, if you were minding your own business waiting for a bus in Pond Street and she turned up she would certainly make herself noticed.

But she would hardly be likely to tell you her name would she.

Guest SuzyC

Mervyn and Ginger Roy?

Well at Norfolk School you could have had to put up with those 2 well know Sheffield characters DaveH and Stuart0742.

Both barking, but both friendly, and we're still around.

So it probably would happen now ;-)

Welcome to Sheffield History SuzyC

Notice that you have made a few interesting posts already, - just what we need, someone to make new posts and get our interest back in things we had almost forgotten.

Nice to have you on board.

Hi DaveH . I should perhaps clarify these two characters, Mervin was a chap in his early 20´s I would guess, who used to pretend to be a motorbike all the time. Ginger Roy was a mysterious character who always wore a huge belted mackintosh whatever the weather with the collar up and was always looking round suspiciously as if he was being followed and sniffing at something in his hand. Weird or what, however, they were always friendly. :)

I think Lizzy must be Nora and I got the name wrong, there couldn´t be two of them surely.

I must say this site has provoked many memories for me, including stuff I hadn´t thought about for 40 years or more. All the posts are so interesting.

1960s - Often to be seen out walking was another character by the name of Ron ( I think that was his name) who covered great distances on his daily patrols. Ron took on the role of the bobby on the beat with his mackintosh, policeman like, folded neatly across his shoulder. Everyone knew him and he would cheerfully acknowledge their greetings with a quick perfectly executed salute. If he was going your way he would accompany you and should you want to cross the road - well no problem at all. Smartly Ron would stride out into the middle of the road, hold his hand up to stop the oncoming traffic and wave you safely across the road. Once your feet stepped onto the opposite pavement he would then allow the vehicle to continue on its way. Ron seems to have been around forever. From the early days of my own and my husband's childhood, through our courting years and through our marriage. In Jan 1992 when it was my dad's funeral, as the hearse made its way down Spital Hill, there to our surprise was Ron smartly standing to attention and saluting. We hadn't seen him for years and it was nice to know that he was still around. Just a few years ago (1997) we saw him walking up Barnsley Rd towards Firs Hill. Thinner and gaunter now and his tread much slower. Both Alan and myself looked at each other in surprise. We have never ever known were he lived or anything of his origins which is a real shame.

Someone please tell me his real name and story.

Lyn

Hi DaveH . I should perhaps clarify these two characters, Mervin was a chap in his early 20´s I would guess, who used to pretend to be a motorbike all the time. Ginger Roy was a mysterious character who always wore a huge belted mackintosh whatever the weather with the collar up and was always looking round suspiciously as if he was being followed and sniffing at something in his hand. Weird or what, however, they were always friendly. :)

I think Lizzy must be Nora and I got the name wrong, there couldn´t be two of them surely.

I must say this site has provoked many memories for me, including stuff I hadn´t thought about for 40 years or more. All the posts are so interesting.

Glad you are really enjoying the site SuzyC

I don't think me and Stuart are as "barking" as the pair you have just described.

But there are some who would say otherwise.