Fletchers Van

Guest shezza91

Guest wayneybabes

Just found this post and really do remember them, mum used to leave me 13p for an elephants foot for my lunch during the aschool holidays. A big chouix pastry bun filled with cream and coated on the top with chocolate!

cooplands sell them as fresh cream puffs but the chocolate is different

One picture care of Picture Sheffield pity its not in colour.

This was the Fletchers Van that delivered near me.

I lived on Halifax Rd, at the top of Deerlands, across from what is now Antiquity fireplace showroom. The last block of council houses before the bungalows of Grenoside start. Looking at the picture, this picture was taken on that very same slip road, but further up outside one of the bungalows.

This guy was in service from at least 1997 when i moved there, until when i left that house in 2002. Nice guy, apart from i once caught him picking his nose then serving someone, without washing his hands.

(apologies if the Fletchers van driver reads this, I say it out of humour more than anything else, it never stopped me buying from you).

Remember the van round worrall right up to the early 90's.

Does anyone know when the Fletchers shop on Middlewood road shut down? I always got my bread from there.

Regards.

does anyone know where this picture was taken?

Hi wayneybabes. It was taken at Lowedges terminus I think mid 80s. I only took it because of the rainbow over the shops, its faded now, but if you look look closely youcan just see it. W/E.

i live at parson cross/southey green and we get a bread van come round everyday and he sells products from fletchers, i remember the old bloke that did it before he did on our road he was called bill he live on herries drive, he packed it in when his wife died and the man that does it now bought the business off him.

back in the 90's when i was a kid i use to run to the bread van for a brandy snap mmmmmmmmm where can you buy those now?

Hi wayneybabes. It was taken at Lowedges terminus I think mid 80s. I only took it because of the rainbow over the shops, its faded now, but if you look look closely youcan just see it. W/E.

And when I edited you're photo a couple of weeks ago,

was thinking it was taken in the Parson Cross area.

I have one somewhere, will this do to be going on with ?

Is it parked outside the shops / bus terminus at Low Edges?

Sorry, just seen the answer

back in the 90's when i was a kid i use to run to the bread van for a brandy snap mmmmmmmmm where can you buy those now?

Roses the bakers sell Brandy Snaps filled with fresh cream, yummy.

Guest Tamworthowl

I remember the Fletcher's van coming round our estate, Whitwell in Stocksbridge, when i was a kid back in the 70s. No-one has mentioned the tune, a bit like an ice-cream van, but distinctly different. Was this just our local van, or were they all the same.

I remember this vividly when a new kid moved to our street, he heard the Fletcher's van announcing its arrival. Despite us telling him it wasn't an ice-cream van he ran home for some money and dashed after the van. His disappointment and embarrassment as he came back empty handed was classic.

Guest andydeda

I remember the Fletchers van on Shiregreen estate 1972 to1979 my next door neighbour use to run it ....I helped on Saturdays, he use to pay me in elephants feet less than minimum wage but I had no complaints... lol

No-one has mentioned the tune, a bit like an ice-cream van, but distinctly different. Was this just our local van, or were they all the same.

ours we had in the 90s and the one we have now it has a air horn.

Guest whyme

Not so much a place that has gone but an institute that brings back very fond memories.

Hope someone else remembers this, the van used to drive up our street (late 70's I guess). and all the kids on the street used to run in and plead with their moms for a bun.

The van had a red cab and a cream coloured backend with the Fletcher man on the side.

It was a regular service and a lot of people bought fresh bread from it.

Great memories.

Sorry if this is wrong forum, can i suggest one called "Childhood Memories".

My mouth is watering just remembering the Fletcher's van in the 70s.

I can remember the Fletchers van stopping outside our house (St Matthias Road, Deepcar) in the early 70's to mid 80's ?

We used to buy quite a bit off him, can't remember his name, Dave possibly, it was a long time ago & I was pretty young at the time.

Hi Repo, Welcome to the Site and Thank you for posting - have a hunt around and please contribute where you can.

I can remember the Fletchers van stopping outside our house (St Matthias Road, Deepcar) in the early 70's to mid 80's ?

We used to buy quite a bit off him, can't remember his name, Dave possibly, it was a long time ago & I was pretty young at the time.

Mr. George Henry Fletcher, the bloke who set up Fletcher's Bakery was a life-long communist. He wrote a book about his life experiances which was called something like " Leaven of Life" .

His son Paul used to provide the local party with a small van I was once told.

HD

Guest acman

Seem to remember where I grew up, Norfolk Park, a similar van coming around but it was the B&C (co-op), doing general groceries I think, the vans were red in colour as I recall, this would have been mid to late 60's.

Regards,acman

The earlier Fletchers' bread vans had timber bodies. When my father wanted a new garden shed, in the early 1960's, he bought a disused Fletchers' bread van body, which was a lot more soundly constructed than any modern garden shed that I have ever seen and lasted, with little attention, until well into the very late 1990's. It came complete with all sorts of fancy shelving and cast iron, top ventilators, which I now regret never having salvaged.

Does anyone else remember "Fletcher's Bread tastes like lead. When you eat it, you drop dead"??? We, juvenile deliquents always used to sing it, whenever we saw a Fletcher's bread van.

Fletcher

Mr. George Henry Fletcher, the bloke who set up Fletcher's Bakery was a life-long communist. He wrote a book about his life experiances which was called something like " Leaven of Life" .

His son Paul used to provide the local party with a small van I was once told.

HD

Part of the Fletcher's Van fleet

Just as a point of interest to the Bedford Vans in this Picture the last two vans went out of service the same day one writen off by myself which i managed

to drive back to the depot to be greeted by the Management in the entrance arch and while asking me what happend the other Bedford pulled up behind

and as it stopped all the front suspension collasped thus the end of the Bedfords.

My Van was fleet number 13 and when i recieved my new Ford Transit Automatic ( all the Transits were Automatic ) it was also fleet number 13.