Fletchers Van

Guest shezza91

Guest shezza91

Not so much a place that has gone but an institute that brings back very fond memories.

Hope someone else remembers this, the van used to drive up our street (late 70's I guess). and all the kids on the street used to run in and plead with their moms for a bun.

The van had a red cab and a cream coloured backend with the Fletcher man on the side.

It was a regular service and a lot of people bought fresh bread from it.

Great memories.

Sorry if this is wrong forum, can i suggest one called "Childhood Memories".

I remember these

Bought bread, potatoes, sweets, crisps from there as well as fresh cream buns ?

I remember the red and cream coloured vans, door at the back shelves down either side holding those big wooden bread trays.

Guest shezza91

I remember the red and cream coloured vans, door at the back shelves down either side holding those big wooden bread trays.

I can still remember the smell as you climbed the steps at the back.

HEAVEN!!!!!

I wonder what year they finished running.

Was this just a Sheffield thing??

MMMMmmmmm My favorite was the individual baked custard tart or if they had sold out a blackberry and apple charlotte.

As I remember we used to sing a song to the delivery drivers

"Fletchers Bread - tastes like lead

If you eat it - you drop dead!"

Which obviously wasn't true - though we never brought bread just custard slices?

Has anyone got any photos of the vans in question?

One picture care of Picture Sheffield pity its not in colour.

Guest mackyD

Don't know when they stopped runnning, but my nan used to get a bread van on her road in the mid 90's ~ not sure if it was Fletchers though.

MMMMmmmmm My favorite was the individual baked custard tart or if they had sold out a blackberry and apple charlotte.

Did you have to mention those ? lol

Guest mega_monty

Look at the state of the road !

That road surface looks quite good when compared with sheffield's roads of today

I did a job for a bloke who worked at Fletchers once who told me that Fletchers moved away from local domestic bread production to concentrate on making bread for the likes of Mac Donalds and such like.

When they made the move they also got rid of the vans, mostly by selling them to their drivers, who for some time carried on doing their rounds but buying the products from else where.

I seam to remember this was about 1996 so it was sometime before that when they stopped being offical Fletchers vans.

Guest welly owl

I used to live near the Birley pub on Birley Moor Rd & I can always remember on Saturday dinnertimes (I think) the car park used to be full of Fletchers bread vans.I'm sure there used to be 10 to 20 of 'em.

Obviously having a well earned pint after a busy week!! lol

Just found this post and really do remember them, mum used to leave me 13p for an elephants foot for my lunch during the aschool holidays. A big chouix pastry bun filled with cream and coated on the top with chocolate!

One of their drivers is still doing the round in the Parson Cross area.

Fletcher's individual Bakewells were my favourite.

Has anyone got any photos of the vans in question?

I have one somewhere, will this do to be going on with ?

Ahhhhhhhhhh them were the days.................

Stepping onto the back of the van for a medium white sliced loaf for my mother and an elephants foot for me.

The smell in the van was amazing! A mixture of fresh bread mixed with a sweet bakewell tart. If you could bottle it you'd make a fortune!

Our local bread man lived on the next road. The drivers were given the option to buy the vans from Fletchers and run it as their own business. Thats when the "Agents For" sign appeared just above "Fletchers" on the side of the vans.

I remember if the driver thought my mother might need a loaf but she wasn't at home he'd leave one on the step and get the money the next time he saw her. I don't think Tesco offer such a service as yet.............