1940 Kelly's Directory

RichardB

1940 Kelly's (Shouldn't they have been fighting a War at this point, not printing directions to steel works/factories/Mrs Miggins Pie Shoppe (a little known, but, very important Wartime nosh-provider - the spam, powdered egg and Guinness pie was a war-time marvel, I remember it well ... despite not actually being born until 1962 !

Bidding; if I'm up against anyone here please let me know.

'Kelly's Directory of Sheffield and Rotherham and Suburbs...1940' published in London by Kelly's Directories Ltd. This the Sixtieth Edition. A substantial volume.

We have been unable to locate a collation with which to compare, it appears that the majority of the text is complete, possibly lacking some advertisement leaves before the titlepage and potentially a couple of leaves lacking at rear. Our collation reads: xcvi, 1756 pp. There are no maps present if called for.

Thick 8vo, bound in very faded period publishers red cloth, lettered to all surfaces.

3 days plus to run.

---------------------------------------------

from the photos, it seems like you also get some fingers, a wrist and a red tablecloth ... which is nice.

Outbid, not going over £45 cuz I don't have it; would have had to sell the wife as it was ...

Outbid, not going over £45 cuz I don't have it; would have had to sell the wife as it was ...

That's a shame :(

But it would have been a hell of a job for Stuart,

scanning the 1757 pages.

<_<

scanning the 1757 pages.

<_<

I was pondering on that, him being away and stuff ...

there is a 1965 for sale but I can't be bothered, that ain't history to me - now 1837 - whose Directory covers that year ? Not a buying question, I think it was White's, but, I've got data from a Scottish Pigot's which also includes Sheffield - just how sad is my life ??? Answers on a postcard please.

scanning the 1757 pages.

<_<

I was considering delivering the contents of my "study" and "garage" to Stuart while he was away ... neither contains anything you would expect.

I was considering delivering the contents of my "study" and "garage" to Stuart while he was away ... neither contains anything you would expect.

I thought your garage contained a new, tall, green, French car <_<

No car in my garage, green or not (definitely not French; never owned anything car-wise that would make it safely through a car-wash) - lot of books/papers/Gatty's is in there - somewhere.

there is a 1965 for sale but I can't be bothered, that ain't history to me - now 1837 - whose Directory covers that year ? Not a buying question, I think it was White's, but, I've got data from a Scottish Pigot's which also includes Sheffield - just how sad is my life ??? Answers on a postcard please.

Just bought/won that 1965 Kelly's, £21.50 inc p&p

:)

Just bought/won that 1965 Kelly's, £21.50 inc p&p

:)

If you still have that Kelly's Directory for 1965 could you have a look for any KEETONs listed in Sheffield but not Eckington. Thanks in anticipation!

If you still have that Kelly's Directory for 1965 could you have a look for any KEETONs listed in Sheffield but not Eckington. Thanks in anticipation!

Here you go,

the first one is how it reads, no area number.

Keeton A. 59 Station Rd.

Keeton Alfd. 119 Derbyshire Ln, 8

Keeton Chas. 6 Hallgate Rd. 10

Keeton Colin. 28 Winchester Rd. 10

Keeton Edgar. 27 Plymouth Rd. 7

Keeton Miss L F. 90 Abbey View Rd. 8

Keeton Paul. 115 Norton Ln. 8

Keeton Vernon, 489 Stradbroke Rd. Woodhouse.

Commercial & Professional.

Thanks for those. Keeton and Sons was founded by Paul Keeton my great grand father. Trying to track the whereabouts of his son Charles!!!

Here you go,

the first one is how it reads, no area number.

Keeton A. 59 Station Rd.

Keeton Alfd. 119 Derbyshire Ln, 8

Keeton Chas. 6 Hallgate Rd. 10

Keeton Colin. 28 Winchester Rd. 10

Keeton Edgar. 27 Plymouth Rd. 7

Keeton Miss L F. 90 Abbey View Rd. 8

Keeton Paul. 115 Norton Ln. 8

Keeton Vernon, 489 Stradbroke Rd. Woodhouse.

Thanks for those. Paul is my late father!!!!

Thanks for those. Keeton and Sons was founded by Paul Keeton my great grand father. Trying to track the whereabouts of his son Charles!!!

You are welcome,

so do you have Charles Keeton, engineer,

212 Ecclesall Road in 1925?

You are welcome,

Thanks, yes I do. He divorced his first wife Amelia, nee Jones, not tracked that down yet as to the date, he lived at Hill Crest Thornhill, Bamford until 1951!

You are welcome,

Are you deliberately ignoring Robert E Keeton of 90 William Street (1925) ?

and, of course, their workmate Frank Hunton of 346 Bluebell Road, Shiregreen ??

Of course, they probably bought the place from James Fieldsend (1911-1919), Pawnbroker who probably got it from William Brownill (1893).

Are you deliberately ignoring Robert E Keeton of 90 William Street (1925) ?

and, of course, their workmate Frank Hunton of 346 Bluebell Road, Shiregreen ??

Robert Eades KEETON was my grandfather and a bit of a rogue!

Don't know anything about Frank HUNTON!!

Guest soooz1

Robert Eades KEETON was my grandfather and a bit of a rogue!

Don't know anything about Frank HUNTON!!

Im sorry i am dragging this up from last years posts but i could not atleast try to find the person in question who was the relation of the keetons.

I am also a relation of the Keeton's.

My Grandma was the daughter of Ethel Keeton. Charles, Robert and Emily's sister.