Top Gear Mentions Sheffield & Filmed In Sheffield

Jeromey Clarkson banters on about Sheffield. (Failing at the accent too)

And JC also filmed in Sheffield on Top Gear Episode 1 Series 15

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3nY8bHYPsA

Part 2 (???) :rolleyes:

Hi Kane

Welcome to the site, you may be our youngest member.

I watched Top Gear last Sunday, when you know the area its dead easy to pick up on the continuity errors, of which there were loads, but to a non Sheffielder it just looked like a typical Top Gear mayhem.

Like one minute they are on Sussex St then the bottom of Woodseats Rd.

Hi Kane

Welcome to the site, you may be our youngest member.

I watched Top Gear last Sunday, when you know the area its dead easy to pick up on the continuity errors, of which there were loads, but to a non Sheffielder it just looked like a typical Top Gear mayhem.

Like one minute they are on Sussex St then the bottom of Woodseats Rd.

I can't stand Clarkson!

I comes across as an absolute arrogant big head.

Only HE thinks he is a good driver, he isn't

A National newspaper once photographed him arrogantly using a mobile phone while driving a big 4 x 4 thing through London so he obviously is one of those drivers that thinks he is so good that the highway code, speed restrictions and motoring law don't apply to him.

However, in this issue of Top Gear he proves to us all that he can't even drive a 3 wheeler Reliant Robin.

I drove one (as Stuart knows) for about 7 years in all weathers and road conditions. I never managed to roll it over or have silly accidents in it. It never felt "unsafe", in fact once you were driving along it felt no different to a small, normal 4 wheel car, like a mini.

So Clarkson drives like a pratt, rolls it over repeatedly and then tries to blame the cars poor design for the shortcomings of his own driving skills.

To be honest, all the top gear presenters are useless, -

Clarkson, an arrogant, conceited big head

May, a little boy who never grew up, or never had a haircut or brush. He still plays with toys (bet he still lives with his mum)

Hammond, a man who thinks that a normal car driving licence empowers him to drive a rocket on wheels and then seems amazed when he nearly kills himself.

The Stig ??? well he never says anything, acts strangely and looks like an alien from outer space, - perhaps he is.

Hi there Kane

I don't know what happened to it, but I posted a reply yesterday which seems to have disappeared. One of our site's gremlins.

Don't take any notice of DaveH's rant, a lot of us are just "Grumpy Old Men" on here.

I must (secretly) admit to quite liking Clarkson.

Anyway welcome on here. I hope you find plenty of stuff to interest you, and look forward to reading any further posts you make.

Both Clarkson and James May have links with South Yorkshire.

Clarkson was born and educated in Doncaster and was a journalist on the Rotherham Advertiser.

James May, although he was born in Bristol, he went to Oakwood Comp in Rotherham , along with Dean Andrews (D.I. Carling) from Ashes to Ashes.

I thought the piece was brilliant! I haven't laughed so much in ages. Getting the local "celebs" in to help him was a nice touch.

Does anyone remember Clarkson's chat show when he did a travel show spoof about having a holiday in Rotherham?

There's a copy on youtube but it's not very good quality.

I think Dave might be confusing Top Gear with a serious programme B) It was filmed back in May this year and used several vehicles by all acounts with a couple of stunt drivers undertaking most of the rolling scenes.

Hi there Kane

I don't know what happened to it, but I posted a reply yesterday which seems to have disappeared. One of our site's gremlins.

Don't take any notice of DaveH's rant, a lot of us are just "Grumpy Old Men" on here.

Anyway welcome on here. I hope you find plenty of stuff to interest you, and look forward to reading any further posts you make.

OK Vox, if it's 'coming out 'time, I'll admit to a reluctant liking of Clarkson too! I don't think he treated Sheffield too badly on Sunday, though he didn't do it any favours. What did rankle was when he made fun on an earlier programme of the new Formula 1 team coming from, guess where? Sheffield (cue hysterical laughter). In fact they're from Dinnington, a distinction he should know well as a lad from Rotherham or Doncaster, I can't remember which, and you think he might be proud of a local team making it to Formula 1.

I guess he sold his northern soul when he moved to the Cotswolds (and the Isle of Man now as well).

(Oh, and welcome Kane, nice to have some young blood on here! )

I can't help that vox, - it's my age.

...and the fact that a lot of stuff they put on TV these days is put out deliberately to annoy me. :angry:

Now that's the sort of thing you should keep secret!

Like Richard and his taffeta ballgown lol

Both Clarkson and James May have links with South Yorkshire.

Clarkson was born and educated in Doncaster and was a journalist on the Rotherham Advertiser.

James May, although he was born in Bristol, he went to Oakwood Comp in Rotherham , along with Dean Andrews (D.I. Carling) from Ashes to Ashes.

Clarkson also appeared on the geneological TV series, appropriately named in his case "Who do you think you are?" and he certainly had local roots.

It turned out that one of his Victorian ancestors was a very wealthy mill owner.

But of course all Mr big head was bothered about was where is his money now and how do I get my hands on it?

I think Dave might be confusing Top Gear with a serious programme B)

Lost me there mike142sl

I wonder what serious programme I am confusing it with? :unsure:

OK Vox, if it's 'coming out 'time, I'll admit to a reluctant liking of Clarkson too!

What have I started off here?

I'm beginning to wish I had kept my gob shut about Clarkson

...and in amongst all that "rant" I forgot to welcome Kane onto Sheffield History as well!!

Sorry Kane, welcome to the site ;-)

What did rankle was when he made fun on an earlier programme of the new Formula 1 team coming from, guess where? Sheffield (cue hysterical laughter). In fact they're from Dinnington, a distinction he should know well as a lad from Rotherham or Doncaster, I can't remember which, and you think he might be proud of a local team making it to Formula 1.

I guess he sold his northern soul when he moved to the Cotswolds (and the Isle of Man now as well).

I believe the Formula One race team from Dinnington are called the "Manor" team (Manor Motors?)

Now if you are going to name a race team after an area of Sheffield (S2) which already has a reputation for a "team" of lads racing around in stolen cars musch to the consternation of the police and the general law abiding public then surely they are setting themselves up for confusion.

I believe the Formula One race team from Dinnington are called the "Manor" team (Manor Motors?)

Now if you are going to name a race team after an area of Sheffield (S2) which already has a reputation for a "team" of lads racing around in stolen cars musch to the consternation of the police and the general law abiding public then surely they are setting themselves up for confusion.

Is this a record, 6 replies to one topic at the same time (or nearly the same time)

Even Jezza could not manage something like that with all his skill and talent

Is this a record, 6 replies to one topic at the same time (or nearly the same time)

Even Jezza could not manage something like that with all his skill and talent

Well, 6 points seem to get raised at once and they all deserved a reply.

Looks like I've cracked the problem of people not posting enough to keep the site going.

Just say something that turns out to be controversial like,-

"In my opinion Jeremy Clarkson is a total pratt"

Then it gets them all posting stuff in and "coming out of the closet" about being secret Clarkson fans.

Now, -what highly controversial rant can I come out with to inspire new posts next? <_<

Well, 6 points seem to get raised at once and they all deserved a reply.

Looks like I've cracked the problem of people not posting enough to keep the site going.

Just say something that turns out to be controversial like,-

"In my opinion Jeremy Clarkson is a total pratt"

Then it gets them all posting stuff in and "coming out of the closet" about being secret Clarkson fans.

Now, -what highly controversial rant can I come out with to inspire new posts next? <_<

There was a piece on Radio Sheffield this morning about the phasing out of £20 notes with Sir Edward Elgar on the the back,

there was a bit of a discussion about who should replace him, I think I know who should be the new face of the £20 note.

any guesses

There was a piece on Radio Sheffield this morning about the phasing out of £20 notes with Sir Edward Elgar on the the back,

there was a bit of a discussion about who should replace him, I think I know who should be the new face of the £20 note.

any guesses

Well not B***** Clarkson for a start! :angry:

Well not B***** Clarkson for a start! :angry:

Ideal bloke, seems popular, well by the majority in this topic anyway

Ideal bloke, seems popular, well by the majority in this topic anyway

About as popular as Peter Sutcliffe the Yorkshire Ripper driving around Sheffield in a car on dodgy number plates as far as I am concerned.

May, a little boy who never grew up, or never had a haircut or brush. He still plays with toys (bet he still lives with his mum)

Ooh, ooh, Sir, Sir, I know the answer to this one:

"He lives in London with his partner, the dance critic Sarah Frater"

What stakes did you put on that bet?

Ooh, ooh, Sir, Sir, I know the answer to this one:

"He lives in London with his partner, the dance critic Sarah Frater"

What stakes did you put on that bet?

No stakes, - he just looks a bit of a mummy's boy, and of course like Peter Pan he never grew up. On top of that his unkemp appearance which women would not take to seemed to indicate that he had no female "partner".

I notice that she is a "partner" and not a wife. The word partner covers a lot of meanings, - she could merely be a business partner and nothing more.

I can't stand Clarkson!

I comes across as an absolute arrogant big head.

Only HE thinks he is a good driver, he isn't

A National newspaper once photographed him arrogantly using a mobile phone while driving a big 4 x 4 thing through London so he obviously is one of those drivers that thinks he is so good that the highway code, speed restrictions and motoring law don't apply to him.

However, in this issue of Top Gear he proves to us all that he can't even drive a 3 wheeler Reliant Robin.

I drove one (as Stuart knows) for about 7 years in all weathers and road conditions. I never managed to roll it over or have silly accidents in it. It never felt "unsafe", in fact once you were driving along it felt no different to a small, normal 4 wheel car, like a mini.

So Clarkson drives like a pratt, rolls it over repeatedly and then tries to blame the cars poor design for the shortcomings of his own driving skills.

In the following weeks episode Clarkson, not wishing to look a total incompetent pillock for rolling a Reliant Robin several times must have payed the Stig a hefty backhander bribe to test drive a Reliant around a race track and deliberately roll it over as a stuntman out of the A-team would have done to try and "prove" that it wasn't Clarksons crap driving skills, it really was the car at fault.

Clarkson then gets mummys boy May to drive an Isetta bubble car and display its shortcomings in garage parking as it has no reverse gear and a door which opens from the front. (Something which was well known to all Isetta owners and easily avoided). Clarkson finds this all highly amusing and delights in ridiculing and rubbishing the Isetta, but he fails to mention that, -

THE ISETTA BUBBLE CAR WAS DESIGNED AND BUILT BY BMW

In another part of the programme when Clarkson and his cronies are tear-arsing down a German autobahn at around 140mph in fast German cars he can't help but praise the superioir qualities of the "boy racer" BMW.

What a contradiction,

In one breath BMW are ridiculous rubbish, and the next they are practically the best cars ever made.

Makes you realise that he must talk a loud of rubbish and what he has to say about cars isn't worth hearing.

When I was at Firth Park Grammar we had a brand-new-from-college history teacher who turned up in an Isetta. On a number of occasions he was ambushed on arrival by a group of unkind pupils who pushed the car with him in it nose first up to the wall and ran away. Of a Friday evening when on occasions he worked late, the school scout troop would delight in lifting it up and carrying it to a new parking space in the sunken quadrangle (only accessible by steps). Fortunately he took it all in good part, and was a popular teacher with all and sundry.

When I was at Firth Park Grammar we had a brand-new-from-college history teacher who turned up in an Isetta. On a number of occasions he was ambushed on arrival by a group of unkind pupils who pushed the car with him in it nose first up to the wall and ran away. Of a Friday evening when on occasions he worked late, the school scout troop would delight in lifting it up and carrying it to a new parking space in the sunken quadrangle (only accessible by steps). Fortunately he took it all in good part, and was a popular teacher with all and sundry.

Just remember it was a BMW ;-)

The problem with the original Issetta with parking in a garage or close to a wall was that the only door was at the front and opened like this

However, there was a modification in which the whole bodywork pivoted on the chasis so that it would still be possible to get out.

This picture shows a modern custom Issetta in which the original 350cc BMW engine has been replaced with a Suzuki Hayabusa 1300cc engine with a 6 speed gearbox (but still no reverse!)

Now with that size and power of engine in a microcar of the Isettas weight it is capable of a real turn of speed and acceleration. Capable of some real boy racer tear-arsing!

I wonder what Clarkson and his narrow minded car mad top gear mates would make of that!