Slum Clearance 1960

Guest Ricardotheplayer

Guest Ricardotheplayer

I am new to the site so may be going over old ground-literally-here but am interested if there any photos of this area before or during the slum clearance which made wat for the tower locks below the arts tower.

I am new to the site so may be going over old ground-literally-here but am interested if there any photos of this area before or during the slum clearance which made wat for the tower locks below the arts tower.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Have you tried Picture Sheffield ( Link ) ? A search on there under Brook Hill brings up 111 hits. (If you haven't used it before, you need to click on 'Search Picture Sheffield' on the left of the first screen, then 'Search database' at the bottom of the next screen. On the next screen Click on B, then from the pulldown menu click on Brook Hill (NB ignore the first bit of the sequence, scroll right down until you find Brook Hill. Click on Search to the right of the list (not the one at the bottom) and hey presto!) However, if it's the tower blocks area you're after you might be better searching for Netherthorpe or St Philips Rd. (Netherthorpe brings up 1211 hits!)

Guest Ricardotheplayer

Hi and welcome to the forum. Have you tried Picture Sheffield ( Link ) ? A search on there under Brook Hill brings up 111 hits. (If you haven't used it before, you need to click on 'Search Picture Sheffield' on the left of the first screen, then 'Search database' at the bottom of the next screen. On the next screen Click on B, then from the pulldown menu click on Brook Hill (NB ignore the first bit of the sequence, scroll right down until you find Brook Hill. Click on Search to the right of the list (not the one at the bottom) and hey presto!) However, if it's the tower blocks area you're after you might be better searching for Netherthorpe or St Philips Rd. (Netherthorpe brings up 1211 hits!)

Thanks Bayleaf,I have seen most-but not all-of these in the City library archives.They tend to be more of the main roads,shops etc whereas I was looking for the slum housing blocks -the Courts-of Sarah St & other streets just off Brook Hill where my ancestors lived.They seem pretty scarce.

Guest skeets

Hi Ricardotheplayer Welcome indeed, but would you like to start again, beginning with an easier user name, only joking skeets