Catastorths, Griffs, Riggs And Stopes

Guest Gramps

Guest Gramps

Perhaps only in Stannington could you find four such odd names in close proximity to each other. On the 1850s OS map they appear as distinct locations but even today three of the names are perpetuated in Griffs House, Stopes road and Riggs High and Low roads.

From Wiki I gather that stopes are the underground galleries of a mine. The only reference to griffs as a landscape term I found via Google in a paper entitled 'Narrow Glacial Channel and Griffs' - a discussion about changes to landsacpe features in the Newtondale area in N. Yorks Riggs seems to refer to the very rough ground between the Riggs High road and the Riggs low road. The area has a long history of clay mining so perhaps these 'riggs' might be the result of open-cast clay diggings.

The only location without a modern reference is Catastorths; this is now entirley covered by Dysons Refractories, and Wiggin Hall has also disappeared without trace. Not shown on this section of the map and a little further west is a little lane, now just a track-way, called Pudding Poke. :)