Redgates

Sheffield History

The moor was the original store of the 2, then Furnival Gate was built and yes they were linked at basement level. I think even into Quadrant Stationers days. I am not sure when this link was closed. Did it survive into Co-op days, probably not.

The tunnel still survived as a storage area in the co-op but was bricked up at the far end, the co-op did want to by the store on the moor but the price was too expensive at the time.

IT'S HERE! I have a picture of Redgates!

Taken at its home on the top of the moor. It is from a book I own about Sheffield, made in 1969. A truly wonderful book, it was found in a second hand store about 3 years ago. I think despite it not being a photo from the front it's the best we've got guys!!

Is this from the book Sheffield Emerging City? if so my Nan bought me this book in 1969 when I was off school with measels, I was wishing for a toy, so at the time the book was real dissapointment, not anymore though, as you say a great book with some excellent images.

It appears to me that we have had a picture of the Furnival gate store on here for quite some time. Take a look at the picture below and tell me that that is NOT Furnival gate. This was first posted in August of 2007 By Zoe.

It appears to me that we have had a picture of the Furnival gate store on here for quite some time. Take a look at the picture below and tell me that that is NOT Furnival gate. This was first posted in August of 2007 By Zoe.

Well yes that is Redgates Furnival Gate..

Well yes that is Redgates Furnival Gate..

Definately Redgates on Furnival Gate, no doubt about that.

Looks like Zoe has belatedly won the "find a photograph of Redgates" prize.

Redgates gone?

This saddens me. When I found out that Taggys was no longer around I was pretty devastated. Now Redgates?

How many landmarks have to disappear before Sheffield is no longer Sheffield? See, MY Sheffield has Redgates in it, and Taggys ice cream vans roam around Heeley and Graves Park. Without them, the real Sheffield isn't quite the Sheffield that I have in my mind.

What next? Will they pull down the statue of Vulcan? I don't want Sheffield to be just another city, indistinct from Birmingham or Leeds. I wish some government body could step in when such places were in trouble, and take them over as historical landmarks and run them as a non-profit so that our Sheffield could stay as it was - pristine and romantically nostalgic.

going on to the next store on Arundel Gate-(now Sunwin House) ((late 70s?)) can anyone remember the Ferrari replica which was in the window prior to Christmas costing back then around 10 Grand! It was around 8 foot long and a a perfect copy of the real thing,but smaller, and like the real car-out of reach for the general public, but again, drew in the crowds for weeks ,- WHICH MAKE LIFETIME MEMORIES -something which the" today " toy shops (Toys r us!!!!!!!) would,nt even think about!

No, but in the 1950's when Redgates was on The Moor there was a model car in the window for Christmas. In the days when even a basic tin pedal car was probably out of reach for most kids, this one had an electric motor, proper seats, dashboard, lights, the lot. I think it was £100 which might as well have been £10,000 for all the chance of owning it. My spendo was probably about 1/- a week at that time.

Guest pigger

A new challange people lol

omg were you there when darth was too??? i think it was about 1980 cos i got a signed luke skywalker from empire strikes back,really wanna see some instore photo's,somebody has to have got some,darth got me by the neck,very scary lol

Guest pigger

hi can anyone remember the sports section upstairs in the redgates at the top of the moor??? i got a sledge from there,im sure it was a the very top cos can remember seeing high buildings outside lol,great store really do miss it,the displays were great,they really made it special.

Stupid question after 3 billion hits, when did Redgates open at this site, when did it close ?

Guest charliesharkey

I never got through the door, mum said it was "too bl**dy dear!",

I remember stood lookin in the window, redgates seemed like a paradise!!

Guest argdon

Eyup everyone,

By the way this is a great site for bringing up old memories. :)

I think Redgates shut in 1984 as I remember being disappointed as a kid, then it reopened breifly as Hamley's ( a branch of one in London) and soon shut down. Sunwin House opened in 1986, I think as my mum got a job there in the restuarant when t first opened. I hope that helps.

Hey Guys

I walked past the sunwin house location the other day and its now deserted and in darkness. I remember Redgates becoming Hamleys in the mid 80s sometime and it gained two more floors but somehow it wasn't the same. My most poignant memory as a child was being bought a Darth Vader Star Wars figure whilst on a shopping trip with Mum and Dad and then accidently sticking the force beam in my eye when we were having lunch at the Golden Dragon which is also called something else..... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and I just realised I'm middle aged.

Hey Guys

I walked past the sunwin house location the other day and its now deserted and in darkness. I remember Redgates becoming Hamleys in the mid 80s sometime and it gained two more floors but somehow it wasn't the same. My most poignant memory as a child was being bought a Darth Vader Star Wars figure whilst on a shopping trip with Mum and Dad and then accidently sticking the force beam in my eye when we were having lunch at the Golden Dragon which is also called something else..... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and I just realised I'm middle aged.

I always thought Hamleys took over part of the old Robert Brothers store when they closed and split the store into smaller units

I remember going there when I was a kid (when else?). My mum took me and my brother on my birthday. We took a no75 bus and got off outside Castle Market and walked all the way to the top of the Moor. All the way I kept asking "is that it?" with my mum saying "no, we've got a while to go yet." I was very dissappointed when I found out the Eggbox wasn't Redgates. When we did get there I was amazed at all the stuff thereand eventually left with a Batmobile (the one that fired little plastic missiles out the back) which I managed to ruin within 2 hours of getting home (not on purpose).

Guest waltonadam

Redgates was taken over by Zodiac Toys Ltd. The store was renamed Zodiac Toys about 1987ish, the company sadly went into administration and closed 1989/1990. Zodiac was a national toy retailer with about 90 stores accross the UK. They spent a lot of money extensively refurbishing the old Redgates store. Zodiac's expansion plans were buying up established independent toy retailers to add to their chain.

Hamleys was located on the Moor, in Rockingham House, 34-36 The Moor. Where MK One used to be. Before that it was part of the old Robert Brothers department store. Robert Brothers closed in the early 80s and all Rockingham House where it was housed was subdivided into seperate units including Habitat, Hamleys and Argos. Hamleys closed around the beginning on 1990 if I remember correctly.

Hope that helps. :)

Eyup everyone,

By the way this is a great site for bringing up old memories. :)

I think Redgates shut in 1984 as I remember being disappointed as a kid, then it reopened breifly as Hamley's ( a branch of one in London) and soon shut down. Sunwin House opened in 1986, I think as my mum got a job there in the restuarant when t first opened. I hope that helps.

Welcome to the Site, Thanks for your post.

Redgates was taken over by Zodiac Toys Ltd. The store was renamed Zodiac Toys about 1987ish, the company sadly went into administration and closed 1989/1990. Zodiac was a national toy retailer with about 90 stores accross the UK. They spent a lot of money extensively refurbishing the old Redgates store. Zodiac's expansion plans were buying up established independent toy retailers to add to their chain.

Hamleys was located on the Moor, in Rockingham House, 34-36 The Moor. Where MK One used to be. Before that it was part of the old Robert Brothers department store. Robert Brothers closed in the early 80s and all Rockingham House where it was housed was subdivided into seperate units including Habitat, Hamleys and Argos. Hamleys closed around the beginning on 1990 if I remember correctly.

Hope that helps. :)

Great stuff, Welcome to SheffieldHistory the more posts from new members the better the place gets. Us "old established members" need new input to keep us going.

Thank you.

Hey Guys

Welcome to SheffieldHistory Jontym - don't panic, you're nowhere as middle aged as me - I'm 47, despite my age I'm the most middle aged person around. Post up 11,000 plus then you know you are middle aged and have no life at all !!! lol

Check the Merry Christmas 2009 thread, SteveHB and me have been working hard, I'm away within 20 pages of the finish; Steve's hard on my heels - only taken 8 months or so - should be a magnificent posting come December.

Guest westy77

Hi, I just joined as I was searching for pics of Redgates, I only remember the last one in the Sunwin house building. Was a fantastic place, I got my first new bike, a red Raleigh Burner from the top floor, also many toy cars from just right through the doorway and this little lot.

From memory Hamleys opened a shop on the Moor in the 80`s, Redgates seemed to close soon after then Hamleys closed up shop soon after that, at the time it looked like Hamelys just opened up to get Redgates to close?

Some pics of Redgates I've just found.

Ooops already posted on here.

Welcome to Sheffield History OWL2011

Don't worry about the use of previous images, - things get pretty big, complicated and mixed up on here at times and it is hard to try and keep track of everything.

Thank you for posting it, many new members never make a post but you have and I hope you will continue to do so in the future.