Redgates

Sheffield History

Is this the neareast someone has got of redgates?

nay nay, nah coom on lass - tha's not been lookin thru t' thred rate good as thee?

gu back thru t'thred till tha gets to May 30th last year - tha'll see a rate gud pic of redgates

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

nay nay, nah coom on lass - tha's not been lookin thru t' thred rate good as thee?

gu back thru t'thred till tha gets to May 30th last year - tha'll see a rate gud pic of redgates

Nah then cocka, I ment tha furnival gate one if tha get me meanin, I dunt fink tha is one luckin ars uppards ta front ways so gu n tek mick art o sum one elses town! lol amonly larkin seeya!

Is this the neareast someone has got of redgates?

THat's a cracking pic

Is there a bigger version ?

Am keen to know what those buildings on the left are..

The whitish building on the left centre is the Palace, Union Street, Sheffield's first purpose build cinema. It alao was the first with Cinemascope and magnetic sound, I think.

THat's a cracking pic

Is there a bigger version ?

Am keen to know what those buildings on the left are..

The very last building on the left (domed building, now the site of Currys) I remember as "The Moor Sales Rooms" in the 1960's. If I remember right it was similar to as Argos is now, items on display with just one long counter.

Nah then cocka, I ment tha furnival gate one if tha get me meanin, I dunt fink tha is one luckin ars uppards ta front ways so gu n tek mick art o sum one elses town! lol amonly larkin seeya!

eeh tha'rt nowt but a nipper. I ment real redgates - not moden un which were all Star wars. No offence tekken - ah'l just gu and gi me clogs a sharpn on't cawsy edge

Great to read "old Sheffield" being used in posts, but maybe we should have a translation into basic English for any non Sheffield Members and visitors?

:rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

eeh tha'rt nowt but a nipper. I ment real redgates - not moden un which were all Star wars. No offence tekken - ah'l just gu and gi me clogs a sharpn on't cawsy edge

"Nar den de, what da wittering about lad. ah meight not av git me-sen a afta niner bus pass as yet thee, buh it twas space 1999 an star trek when I werra chab see not starwars! no offence tekken oreight. lol

Great to read "old Sheffield" being used in posts, but maybe we should have a translation into basic English for any non Sheffield Members and visitors?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

eee what a rate set o' charmers!! - whats point havin tykes board if tha canut speak lingo? - if tha' cant stand eet then get thissen aht o' furnice lad :) - and tek thi cuoat off while thart inside - tha'll not feel benefit when tha gus aht agin.

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

eee what a rate set o' charmers!! - whats point havin tykes board if tha canut speak lingo? - if tha' cant stand eet then get thissen aht o' furnice lad :) - and tek thi cuoat off while thart inside - tha'll not feel benefit when tha gus aht agin.

Thee tel em me lad! weel mek moor sense yodellin' up ah own ass to em! nah im off t to see a man abart a dog. Asthagorratenner?

Guest witch74

My memories of redgates are going in every saturday and looking at all the star wars figures with my brother! I wasn't that bothered about going upstairs to all the barbie stuff! I was more excited with the prospect of him getting the newest princess leia figure! Great days!!

anuvver Star wars??? How about six million dollar man and evil kneval!! I remember my mum looking everywhere for the monopoly game board for me around christmas and the damn game was sold out everywhere!! even redgates. Even though I am a girl I wanted the six million dollar man figure, which when you pulled up the fake rubber skin on the arm and leg it showed all the mechanics which made steve austin the half robot he was. Brilliant!

Guest witch74

Think everyone has memories of the star wars figures draco cos as i remember it was a pretty big thing at the time! So as a result it had a very prominent display in redgates and rightly so! You couldn't really ignore it...and who'd want to it was brilliant!!

I know witch74..I also remember the starwars but wasn't into it as much as some...the last time I remember Redgates being open was when SLIME was being in craze. I remember rushing to town to Redgates early Saturday Morning and buying the stuff before it sold out. It was green, slimey with rubber worms mixed in a green tub. That is the last time I remember Redgates for all its worth!

Guest witch74

Sad thing is Draco i can't remember my last ever visit to redgates! I know i went to see a barbie fashion show but i can't remember if that was when it became zodiac!

I found this - this is the Moor shop? but it said it was 1957. Was it rebuilt on the Moor before moving to Furnival Gate ?

Hi Fellow SHs While chatting to a friend of mine i found out he used to work at Redgates on Saturdays as a boy due to his Father working there and he as lent me a photo to scan and show on this site sadly it is not THE MISSING fURNIVAL GATE PHOTO but it is an excellent photo of all the staff of the Moor shop and i am sure the Big Boys and Girls on this site will appreciate the Toys on display behind the group as well.

Hi Fellow SHs While chatting to a friend of mine i found out he used to work at Redgates on Saturdays as a boy due to his Father working there and he as lent me a photo to scan and show on this site sadly it is not THE MISSING fURNIVAL GATE PHOTO but it is an excellent photo of all the staff of the Moor shop and i am sure the Big Boys and Girls on this site will appreciate the Toys on display behind the group as well.

FANTASTIC Photo, and yes the toys I had both one of the rifles as well as the Cowboy outfit he he

I wonder how much money that stuff on the wall (photo) would go for these days?

Incidently, I walked past sunwin house the other day and it looked like TK Max were moving in.

Was Redgates the one with the train track attached to the ceiling?

I remember the planes and subbuteo stuff, but I was really little at the time.

Yes - if I had to pick one great memory of living in England as a kid it was those amazing train tracks hanging on the roof of Redgates. They were absolutely brilliant. RIP Redgates, never to be bettered.