Redgates

Sheffield History

And the winner is .......Transit. At last a picture of Redgates and its the proper one as well not the Furnival gate location. lol

WARNING: As I understand it, just crediting a photographer's name doesn't automatically make it OK to post their photographs. The photographer in question may think it's fine, but that's up to them. (Though in practice, they'll probably never know anyway). I just mention it so that people can be aware of the fact - copyright belongs to the photographer until they decide to assign it to someone else, and technically, they are the only ones who can decide how and where their pictures appear, credit or no credit.

Agreed - and good advice

hi

i've joined the forum just to see pics of redgates!!!!!!!!!!!

oh happy happy times of childhood - many thanks for all the wonderful posts on here that for an evening took me back to the 70's & 80's when i used to go in there... i remember seeing darth vader in there too.

and heres a mention of the girly things ... my little pony, care bears, dolls and their prams etc... i would do anything just for a moment back in there. it really was a truly fantastic place, and cos of this forum, i've found out that it was around for years before me, which makes me even sadder that it should have closed. it really was an institution.

does anyone have a photo of the sunwin house redgates? circa 1980?

hi

i've joined the forum just to see pics of redgates!!!!!!!!!!!

oh happy happy times of childhood - many thanks for all the wonderful posts on here that for an evening took me back to the 70's & 80's when i used to go in there... i remember seeing darth vader in there too.

and heres a mention of the girly things ... my little pony, care bears, dolls and their prams etc... i would do anything just for a moment back in there. it really was a truly fantastic place, and cos of this forum, i've found out that it was around for years before me, which makes me even sadder that it should have closed. it really was an institution.

A new challange people lol

Guest mackyD

Another girly "thing" from Redgates in the 70's were "Sasha dolls" - does anyone remember them? They were lovely and I remember going to Redgates and gazing at these quite expensive dolls. They looked like real children and that was the only place I've been that sold them. (Though I have since found them on the internet and it seems they are now collectors items)

Another memory of Redgates is one Christmas around 1975/76 my dad decided, I NEEDED a dolls house for Chrimbo. I actually wasn't interested in the slightest, but he thought every little girl ought to have one. SO, I got one! Looking back it was quite the business in the early 70's with electric lights and all! We went every week from probably early November and every week we would buy another couple of pieces of furniture or people to go in this house (which I still have in my loft!)

Because of this, whenever I hear 'Redgates' - I automatically think, dolls houses!

Hi Bats,

That's the million dollar photo at the moment - we've tried for months now with no luck whatsoever...

(thanks for joining by the way - enjoy !)

Now I wonder how the photographer feels now, knowing that 33 years later, people would be screaming "Turn round, turn round, it's behind you !!!!"

From Remember Sheffield in the 50's, 60's and 70's

Picture one J. R. Wrigley !!!!!!!!

Guest plonko51

My most vivid recollection of Redgates was the helicopter they had downstairs. Like the kids ride machines you see outside shops today, it had 2 levers which you operated yourself (up and down) I have no idea why my parents put me in it as I hated as I was sure it was going to go through the roof. This nightmare scenario and fear of heights has remained with me to this day and even now I get nervous if I put 2 pairs of socks on. BTW What about Wilson Gumperts in Fitzalan Square - another famous Sheffield toy shop.

Another photo of the remains of Redgates after the bombing from "Sheffield at War" The Star

My most vivid recollection of Redgates was the helicopter they had downstairs. Like the kids ride machines you see outside shops today, it had 2 levers which you operated yourself (up and down) I have no idea why my parents put me in it as I hated as I was sure it was going to go through the roof. This nightmare scenario and fear of heights has remained with me to this day and even now I get nervous if I put 2 pairs of socks on. BTW What about Wilson Gumperts in Fitzalan Square - another famous Sheffield toy shop.

Wilson Gumperts was owned by Redgates I believe

Guest mickc

when they were converting the moor shop from what it was before to the current sports shop, for a while you could see where the redgates lettering had been as the facia was cleaner where it had been covered by the letters.Wish I'd taken a picture now!

I found this - this is the Moor shop? but it said it was 1957. Was it rebuilt on the Moor before moving to Furnival Gate ?

What a great picture(Memories flooding back as I write). On my recent visit home I went into the sports shop that is now there and was suprised how small the downstairs area seems now. To answer your question yes it was rebuilt on the moor then moved to Sunwin house.

IT'S HERE! I have a picture of Redgates!

Taken at its home on the top of the moor. It is from a book I own about Sheffield, made in 1969. A truly wonderful book, it was found in a second hand store about 3 years ago. I think despite it not being a photo from the front it's the best we've got guys!!

Flip me !!

WELL DONE !!!!

So far that's the closest we've got to a full picture of Redgates !!

I can't believe it's took this long - NICE ONE !!

I found this - this is the Moor shop? but it said it was 1957. Was it rebuilt on the Moor before moving to Furnival Gate ?

Yes, this was the shop after the war and the site was re-developed around 1959. I think the current (?) Woolworths store is now roughly in the same position and the pictured Redgates.

Great to see both sites at last, but how about holding out for a full colour shot? There's got to be one somewhere!

Great pictures. The first one with the two trams is interesting as the two trams are numbered 149 and 150 I wonder how many times they were together like that. Not many I would think.

Guest crookesmoorlad

Yes, this was the shop after the war and the site was re-developed around 1959. I think the current (?) Woolworths store is now roughly in the same position and the pictured Redgates.

Great to see both sites at last, but how about holding out for a full colour shot? There's got to be one somewhere!

tsavo , the Woolworths store was lower down - next to the Redgates store. It was built at the same time as was Alexandre's tailor shop and Redgates as was the whole block , from Furnival Gate to Matilda Street . I used to go in the shop with my mother every Saturday to look , and when money allowed I would add to my callection of " Dinky " toy cars . The shop which was Redgates became the stationers . If you look at the photo submitted by cheekymonkey , you can actually see the top end of Woolworths store. I hope we see a colour photo of the scene but I don't think it will be an easy thing for anyone to find. I don't suppose the average person would have been able to afford such a camera then.

We bought our first pram (high slung ) which cost I think 17 guinees and her cot and Terry towelling nappies from the baby department in the basement at Redgates for our eldest daughter in 1964 , you could get every thing you needed for your new baby as well as toys. And we bought countless toys after that for all three of our children. It was a truly magical shop , especially at Xmas time.

Fantastic pics by the way !!!

Oh dear, the mention of high slung prams stirred a few memories. I volunteered to take our first daughter out for a walk and returned with the pram loaded with high density chipboard. (I was building a speaker unit and needed the heavy stuff to increase the bass) Never was allowed to forget it as after that, the Silver Cross pram had a permenant list to port! (Speaker worked well though!)

Thanks for putting me right about Woolies, time and distance have dulled some details I reckon.

Welcome to the site:

:rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest crookesmoorlad

Oh dear, the mention of high slung prams stirred a few memories. I volunteered to take our first daughter out for a walk and returned with the pram loaded with high density chipboard. (I was building a speaker unit and needed the heavy stuff to increase the bass) Never was allowed to forget it as after that, the Silver Cross pram had a permenant list to port! (Speaker worked well though!)

Thanks for putting me right about Woolies, time and distance have dulled some details I reckon.

Welcome to the site:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

lol could have been worse tsavo, you could've pinched the wheels for a trolley lol .

I think we all suffer the old grey matter depletion don't we . At least you have the nice sunshine where you are. Thanks for the

welcome ;-)

Flip me !!

WELL DONE !!!!

So far that's the closest we've got to a full picture of Redgates !!

I can't believe it's took this long - NICE ONE !!

Admin

Much as I really appreciate your comments, they only serve to confuse old son. Your comment here implies that there was only ONE Redgates when in fact this thread has covered all three.

So to get matters straight

First Redgates - (pre war and post World War 2 ) - bottom of Moor - no real reference now as it has been redeveloped so many times since. Cannot find any details about inside

Second Redgates ( and for some the ONLY one!) 1957 - about 1969 -ish - top of Moor BUT ON THE MOOR - just above Woolies

When I was a lad - the bikes and prams were on the ground floor with all the toys, games models etc downstairs. there was a tranistional period when it also became a staioners and a 'tunnel' was opened downstairs, but I forgot what was sold down there.

Third Redgate (from 1969 ish) Furnival gate. Three floors - cool lift - and I guess for a lot of peole who are under 50 their only memory of this great legend of a toy store,

Sorry to be pedantic, but it has happened a couple of times where THE xxx pic is the definative one just becasue that is their only memory. I include myself in this - I stated on the other Sheff site (Sheffield Forum), funnily enough about the same topic, that the second redgates was THE one and there was none before it - if it did exist before the war then it was on the same site - not true, said someone far older and wiser than me - and posted the pics of the shop at the bottom of the Moor.

Very true, Docmel, we all exist in different 'age zones' and it's easy to forget that.

Shades of Dr. Who! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: