Redgates

Sheffield History

Guest tsavo

As there are no trams or overhead power lines for them, must be the early 60s. At least you can see Redgates immediatly above Woolworths. Good find, Steve.

Guest kenfozzy

Hi Fellow SHs While chatting to a friend of mine i found out he used to work at Redgates on Saturdays as a boy due to his Father working there and he as lent me a photo to scan and show on this site sadly it is not THE MISSING fURNIVAL GATE PHOTO but it is an excellent photo of all the staff of the Moor shop and i am sure the Big Boys and Girls on this site will appreciate the Toys on display behind the group as well.

Thanks Syrup, My Dad also worked at Redgates,(All his working life) and I also worked there on Saturdays on the lead up to Xmas. In the photo my dad is on the far right hand side and the chap on his second left with the very broad smile was Jack Biggins, one who did not give up. (If you knew Jack you will know what I mean by that). He was responsible for building the very large Electric Train layout at the bottem of the basement stairs around to the left. Fantastic it was. I am wondering if this friend of yours was Jack's son, they lived at Crookes when I was a youngster in the mid 1950's.

Thanks again for the picture. Ken Foster.

Thanks Syrup, My Dad also worked at Redgates,(All his working life) and I also worked there on Saturdays on the lead up to Xmas. In the photo my dad is on the far right hand side and the chap on his second left with the very broad smile was Jack Biggins, one who did not give up. (If you knew Jack you will know what I mean by that). He was responsible for building the very large Electric Train layout at the bottem of the basement stairs around to the left. Fantastic it was. I am wondering if this friend of yours was Jack's son, they lived at Crookes when I was a youngster in the mid 1950's.

Thanks again for the picture. Ken Foster.

Hi Ken I spoke with my friend ( i use the term friend loosely) as he is an employee of one of my customers and to say he was stunned would put it mildly. But as far as i could gather you was right he is Jacks son Dave, His comment when reading your post which i printed for him was he obviously new my Dad, Perhaps when i see him again he might have more to say.

I'd hoped that there would be a photo in the "Sheffield shops and shopping " book that came out last year, but no luck.Ruth Harman who put it together was the senior archivist in Sheffield and had acess to the archives and local Studies collections,. Redgates being so famous in Sheffield, I can't believe she'd have missed it out if there had been a photo in either collection, and if they haven't got one, I doubt anyone else has!

Hi, I'm a new member, born in Crosspool, Sheffield.

Redgates was THE toy and model shop for me. My parents had a coffee bar in "The Moor", opposite the Locarno ballroom called May's Bar in the 1950's, and I used to pass Redgates on the tram going from the Town Hall to our cafe.

Here's a link to photo of a tram passing Redgates:-

http://www.tramway.co.uk/our-collections/87/photo-library-picture/2840/

Hi, I'm a new member, born in Crosspool, Sheffield.

Redgates was THE toy and model shop for me. My parents had a coffee bar in "The Moor", opposite the Locarno ballroom called May's Bar in the 1950's, and I used to pass Redgates on the tram going from the Town Hall to our cafe.

Here's a link to photo of a tram passing Redgates:-

http://www.tramway.co.uk/our-collections/87/photo-library-picture/2840/

Nice work ! Welcome to the site. Great picture.

Good stuff

We so desperately need a picture of the other Redgates....

*gets desperate*

Guest murray10

There were 2 Redgates shops when i was a kid,but at different times,the original one i remember was round the late sixties,based in an arcade at the bottom of the moor,i don't know wheather it was in the same covered arcade where Johnny Fanthams barbers was, or wheather it was the next one down to it,then they moved to the big and last site on furnival street.

I think ,but not certain,the reason they moved to the larger site was due to a fire,but recalling redgates brings back very happy memories,going down on a saturday,buying the latest corgi and dinkey toys,airfix models,subbuteo and the icing on the cake..the large lego window displays.

Being a Gleadless lad I was told when i was younger that the family who owned redgates lived adjoining Lees hall golf course,a large house setback from the road,

Guest Loconinja

I too joined this forum just looking for pictures of Redgates! I have fond, fond memories of the shop, particularly at Christmas time. I feel a deep sadness that it no longer exists.

I am now 41, so it is the Furnival Gate shop (Redgates MK 3) that I must remember. Indeed, until reading this thread, I had no idea that Redgates had two previous locations.

My memories of Christmas as a young child are totally dominated by Redgates, in particular the white paper bags covered in the Redgate logo that you would carry your new toys home in.

My family moved away from Sheffield in 1974, and I am totally unfamiliar with the town centre now. I would love to see a picture of Redgates in the 70s. My parents may have some, I shall ask them.

The quest continues!

Regards,

Alex Roebuck.

Hi Alex and welcome to sheffieldhistory,

a photo of Redgates in the 70's would be great!

But don't worry to much if you can't find one

as any photos and comments to do with Sheffield past and present are thankfully accepted on here,

And I'm sure you will find lots of other Topics on here to keep you interested.

Enjoy the site,

Steve

I think Redgates had four locations in all Alex.

The first was the shop at Moorhead which got burned out during the blitz in December 1940 so I'm sure there will be many Sheffielders alive who remember that shop.

The second is the Redgates I knew as a child, at the bottom of Ecclesall road in the late 1940s. This was just a stop-gap until the Moor was rebuilt.

They next moved to brand new premises on the Moor - next to Woolworths.

And finally they took on the building that later became Sunwin House on Furnival gate.

I think Redgates had four locations in all Alex.

The first was the shop at Moorhead which got burned out during the blitz in December 1940 so I'm sure there will be many Sheffielders alive who remember that shop.

The second is the Redgates I knew as a child, at the bottom of Ecclesall road in the late 1940s. This was just a stop-gap until the Moor was rebuilt.

They next moved to brand new premises on the Moor - next to Woolworths.

And finally they took on the building that later became Sunwin House on Furnival gate.

Dunno about Number One Gramps - but the rest - spot on

Admin

Much as I really appreciate your comments, they only serve to confuse old son. Your comment here implies that there was only ONE Redgates when in fact this thread has covered all three.

So to get matters straight

First Redgates - (pre war and post World War 2 ) - bottom of Moor - no real reference now as it has been redeveloped so many times since. Cannot find any details about inside

Second Redgates ( and for some the ONLY one!) 1957 - about 1969 -ish - top of Moor BUT ON THE MOOR - just above Woolies

When I was a lad - the bikes and prams were on the ground floor with all the toys, games models etc downstairs. there was a tranistional period when it also became a staioners and a 'tunnel' was opened downstairs, but I forgot what was sold down there.

Third Redgate (from 1969 ish) Furnival gate. Three floors - cool lift - and I guess for a lot of peole who are under 50 their only memory of this great legend of a toy store,

Sorry to be pedantic, but it has happened a couple of times where THE xxx pic is the definative one just becasue that is their only memory. I include myself in this - I stated on the other Sheff site (Sheffield Forum), funnily enough about the same topic, that the second redgates was THE one and there was none before it - if it did exist before the war then it was on the same site - not true, said someone far older and wiser than me - and posted the pics of the shop at the bottom of the Moor.

To be really pedantic, make it 4. The first was near the top of the Moor and was destroyed in the Blitz. It then re-opened at the bottom of Ecclesall Rd, just off the bottom of the Moor, before moving back to the old site near the top of the Moor, then to Furnival Gate.

To be really pedantic, make it 4. The first was near the top of the Moor and was destroyed in the Blitz. It then re-opened at the bottom of Ecclesall Rd, just off the bottom of the Moor, before moving back to the old site near the top of the Moor, then to Furnival Gate.

I have a copy of the same photo that StevHB has already posted, this may be the best we get of The Moor Redgates.

It also shows Woolworths, also now gone

Guest Gramps

Which is what I said on Bonfire Night, although I hope I wasn't being pedantic. I was just trying to be informative ;-)

Some dates would be useful, although my only memory of the shop was when it was at the bottom of Ecclesall road, and I think would be 1947-49.

The quest is is to find a photo of Redgates Furnival Gate, and of course other branches.

To remind you of the buildings here are some photos taken today

Furnival Gate

The Moor

Fitzalan Sq

Am I mistaken I think I remember the Moor and Furnival gate being one store, joined by a tunnel in the basement?

The moor was the original store of the 2, then Furnival Gate was built and yes they were linked at basement level. I think even into Quadrant Stationers days. I am not sure when this link was closed. Did it survive into Co-op days, probably not.

A couple of Redgates adverts, I came across in an old mag: (1970),

hopefully one step nearer to finding a 'Furnival Gate' photo

And another!

Guest scakbbn07

just thought i'd add my twopenneth in to the frame i remember redgates oh too well when i was a kid redgates used to be like a second home for me every saturday all day school holidays just going in there and marveling at all the great stuff that was in there picking out the things i knew i was'nt going to get for christmas also remember being sent down there by my r.e teacher to fetch accessaries for dolls houses that we were refurbishing for nspcc plus paint for toy cars that needed that little bit of tlc one of the saddest days of my life when that second home closed it's doors to us kids and even the big kids r.i.p redgates

This is Redgates, 5 to 7, The Moor after bombing. Sorry it's not the one we're all looking for but will keep on searching.

Picture courtesy of Picture Sheffield.

Hello,

My earliest recollection, as a very, very small child was looking at toys in shop with an entrance way that was a small arcade.

From descriptions of the store by older cousins and other family members, it was most likely the orginal Redgates shop at 5-7

The Moor, the location shown in this picture. It had to be sometime before the Blitz (December 12, 1940).

Even at that age, I was capitvated by a series of windup cars made by a Germany co. called Shuco (Not sure about the

spelling) and Redgates were the one and only source in Sheffield. They weren't cheap but the detail was fantastic.

I don't think the company ever recovered from the war.

Being born in the late 1930, when I was old enough for real toys, there weren't any. I had to make do with hand-me-downs

from different family members. By the time toys became available again, I was too old. At least that what my parents said.

Regards

Picture Sheffield has come up with a photo of Redgates on Furnival Gate.

Not a fantastic view but its 'Redgates' never the less ...

Well done Steve, let be the 1st to congratulate you, the requirements was a photo of Redgates Furnival Gate, thets meets them.

Well done Steve, let be the 1st to congratulate you, the requirements was a photo of Redgates Furnival Gate, thets meets them.

Ah! but was it the first post a photograph of Redgates or the first to post a link to someone else's photograph of Redgates.

As you well know I am all in favour of our "home grown" resources and encourage members to search their own archives of pictures and post them (just as me and you have been doing for the last few months). I know that me and you haven't got personal pictures of Redgates otherwise they would probably be on here by now, - but you never know one of our members MAY still have a personal picture of Redgates that we can use directly.

{Sorry SteveHB, no discredit to you for finding this but earlier today I found out I was not the only person in trhe world to have a picture of the Carlton cinema, - picture sheffield has one but the only way I could legally put it in the Carlton thread was by using a link!!}