Redgates

Sheffield History

James I think you are mistaken about the history of Redgates. The business was founded by Councillor Nunn and was named after the maiden name of his wife who was a Miss Redgate before marriage. I'm sorry but I don't know Councillor nunn's first name. The business continued in the ownership of the Nunn family until its closure and was never sold out of the family. One of the Nunn family was a member of the Sharrow Cycling Club and a friend of my father's, I knew him as a child as Uncle ***** Nunn and later as a member of the club who was always present at the club's annual dinners.

Uncle Bill possibly ???

William Samuel Nunn, Perambulator manufacturer (The Redgate Co.), h 62 Carter Knowle Road (White's 1911)

William Samuel Nunn, Managing Director The Redgate Co. (Sheffield) Limited, h. 68 Carter Knowle Road (White's 1919)

William Samuel Nunn, JP; Managing Director (The Redgate Co. (Sheffield) Ltd.), h. 68 Carter Knowle Road (Kelly's 1925)

James I think you are mistaken about the history of Redgates. The business was founded by Councillor Nunn and was named after the maiden name of his wife who was a Miss Redgate before marriage. I'm sorry but I don't know Councillor nunn's first name. The business continued in the ownership of the Nunn family until its closure and was never sold out of the family. One of the Nunn family was a member of the Sharrow Cycling Club and a friend of my father's, I knew him as a child as Uncle ***** Nunn and later as a member of the club who was always present at the club's annual dinners.

Thanks for that information. I just remember him being referred to as Councillor Nunn. I remember his son, "Uncle" Frank, being in the Fitzallan Square shop until it closed and was told that before that he had run the Chesterfield shop. After Fitzallan Square closed he was in the Moor shop and then the new shop round the corner. I understand the Nunn family kept the shop on the Moor and rented it out to the stationers. I say family because there were so many members of the Nunn family associated with the Redgates business.

Yes, though more of we’d these days, call, a ‘model’ shop. 
Not very big but stocked great stuff. 
Recall the name from the 50s/60s as ‘Gordon & Joel’ though - I always assumed the fore-names of the proprietors though could, just as easily have been their surnames. Can’t just recall when they ceased trading which is odd as I was a ‘keen regular’.
Even now, I often think about them and their delights!
One of those sad losses which comes with age....