Redgates

Sheffield History

Not so long ago - they published the top viewed thread on their site - by a long way it was the one about Redgates.

Guess what? - here we are, similar site (no comparisons - they are both great) and the thread on Redgates now has over 2000 views which, after doing a quick scan of the other threads, puts it way ahead on this site

Admin, I stand to be corrected, and you probably can check this far easier than me, but if this is correct, what was it about that place that attracts so much interest? Not knocking it, I loved the place to bits when I was a nipper but it does say something, given all that Sheffield has and was , that the most popular thread on both sites is about a toy shop.

In answer to docmel's question it has to be that people tend to remeber the happy events of their childhoods (long hot summers, holidays etc) so I am sure that a trip to a toy store especially one that had two or three levels (depending what era and which location) wuold tend to stick as a happy memory for most people.

Admin, I stand to be corrected, and you probably can check this far easier than me, but if this is correct, what was it about that place that attracts so much interest? Not knocking it, I loved the place to bits when I was a nipper but it does say something, given all that Sheffield has and was , that the most popular thread on both sites is about a toy shop.

I would also say that it's all about memories

I don't remember the customer service, I don't remember the health and safety aspects of the place, I dont' remember the security of the place

I do remember some of the prices (£12.99 for a Luger gun - full sized - made completely out of Steel/Metal and really well made - back in the early 80's)

But I do remember three floors of toys (well - one of the floors had prams didn't it ? but was still classed as a toy floor)

And even better I remember the jars and trays and boxes all opened up and available to put your hand in and play with - full of marbles, toy soldiers etc

So the displays were 'interactive' I suppose - where you could play with the marbles, and toy soldiers and other bits and bobs

HUGE shop to kids - and the way the layout was, with other floors, corners, hidden parts etc always makes a place more magical (ask any garden designer - who will tell you to put similar features in to maintain interest)

I thought it was magical

I bet if we went back in time as grumpy old adults we'd spend most of the time in there moaning

lol

I walked from Gleadless a short time after the blitz and made my way to Redgates at the top of the Moor, and was so distressed to see in what was left of a window, a shattered model of the Hornsby "Princess Elizabeth". I had always wanted such a train, and was guttered when I saw the one so damaged. I was 13 at the time

Many memories of this place (I am talking about the one at the top of the Moor.

Downstairs where all the model kits were - some on display built by a guy in a wheelchair - occasionally he would be out on the shop floor giving demonstrations - his attention to detail was incredible and made those models look brilliant.

At some time Redgates took delivery of a garden model railway - by that I meant you could actually sit on the thing and drive it round on its own track, rather like the minature trains you sometimes see st seaside resorts or steam fairs etc - it must have cost a fortune and the lucky kid who eventually got it must have had a pretty big garden

When I was really small riding on the helicopter that was downstairs - that was a real big treat for me

Garden model railways & helicopters - you can see why it was so popular for us kids. The Hamleys of the north in the 1960s perhaps?

If I ever went to town with mum or dad in the early 60s I would have a major strop if I couldn't go to Redgates and when I got a little older would often go on my own. I think my favourite section were the model railways which were downstairs and to the left. There was nothing they didn't have and that included all the loco books, especially Ian Allen.

It is from a book I own about Sheffield, made in 1969. A truly wonderful book, it was found in a second hand store about 3 years ago.

Nice work Zoe, may I enquire what the name/author etc of the book is please ?

Looks like Redgates Mark II, near Woolworths to me, great picture !

I stand corrected - I always thought that Redates Mark I moved up from the bottom of the Moor up to the top during WW2 - but that is the Crimea Monument in the picture which was at Moorhead

Still a great pic though - I love this guys work

Guest basketcase23

Hi Guys

Ive just registed, what a great site! Congrats to whoever started it! Been a nostalgia freak, Redgates was the first thing i looked for on this... I have such great, but fleeting memories of this place. As a youngster coming from Wath, a trip with my mum to Sheffield meant only one thing- Redgates! You see its quite simple, i was a Star Wars child, and the display of toys they had there was heaven to my young eyes! I vividly remember a HUGE display on the downstairs section round about the time Empire Strikes Back came out. All the figures neatly presented reanacting scenes from the films.... Great days... A few years ago i went inside to the funiture shop it is now to try and stir a few memories! Daft bugger! ;-)

Welcome to the site Basketcase (great username !)

Glad you enjoy the site and it looks as though you're as big a lover of Redgates as we are !

Welcome to the site Basketcase (great username !)

Glad you enjoy the site and it looks as though you're as big a lover of Redgates as we are !

I seem to recall there was (60's/70's) a toy shop in Fitzallan Square, I can not remember the name. I think it had some link with Redgates though.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Redgates on the Moor had a great model railway department downstairs.

HI Stuart,

I'm sure someone will be able to help with the name of the Fitzalan Square shop

Where abouts was it - was it on the corner near the cineman (that's now a bingo hall)

HI Stuart,

I'm sure someone will be able to help with the name of the Fitzalan Square shop

Where abouts was it - was it on the corner near the cineman (that's now a bingo hall)

If you walked from the corner away from C&A towards the Odeon, it was halfway along that block of shops.

I think there is a Tags models there now.

The name ....... Wilson Gumperts!

You're almost right with the Tags Model shop ..... it was next door, now Colonade Insurance. On the ground floor was the girlie stuff, downstairs (no upstairs) was the boys stuff.

Excellent

Sheffield History's fantastic members solve another riddle !

Well done everyone !

Of course Wilson Gumperts, remember now.

Another Redgates memory.

After the new shop opened on Furnival Gate (Sunwin House) I seem to recall that the old shop on the Moor remained open and there was a link between them at basement level.

Can anybody confirm this?

Of course Wilson Gumperts, remember now.

Another Redgates memory.

After the new shop opened on Furnival Gate (Sunwin House) I seem to recall that the old shop on the Moor remained open and there was a link between them at basement level.

Can anybody confirm this?

the 'old' shop became first lonsdale univeral and later quadrant staTioners. There was certainly a link. walking down the stirs of the old shop, you went straight ahead into the link. On the left there was a small hatch/counter where the hornby/scalextrix repairs were (done by a man in a wheelchair if my memory and some of the threads onn the Sheffield forum are correct). The larger Galt toys and slides were on display here i think. There was a slight bend to the left, then into Sunwin house basement.

I seem to recall there was (60's/70's) a toy shop in Fitzallan Square, I can not remember the name. I think it had some link with Redgates though.

There was some link - the back entrace to the sunwin house site had the brass plaques showing the limited companies at that address, and Wilson Gumpert was one of them.