Sypte Experimental Livery

andyrad

not sure if this has been posted before but here is a picture of 657BWB in an experimental livery at Rutland Road paint shop prior to coffe and creme colours, cant put a year to it tho, can anyone help?

Guest transit

...Andy , the year was probably around 1980 when the SYPTE started to experiment in altering the rather bland cream with brown skirt and roof !

Although this combo didnt get used , and only saw daylight at the Rutland Way Paintshop, - they did retain the Brown engine bustles (slightly darker brown than previous) and black bumpers , and the new style fleetname - although repositioned above the front doorway / drivers cab. This then became the standard livery on future buses (Metrobuses/Doms) when ordered new from 1980/1 on.

Another bus , Fleetline 711 was also put in service for a few weeks with another experimental livery , although that also didnt last ! -( pm sent !)

Guest alexander

...Andy , the year was probably around 1980 when the SYPTE started to experiment in altering the rather bland cream with brown skirt and roof !

Although this combo didnt get used , and only saw daylight at the Rutland Way Paintshop, - they did retain the Brown engine bustles (slightly darker brown than previous) and black bumpers , and the new style fleetname - although repositioned above the front doorway / drivers cab. This then became the standard livery on future buses (Metrobuses/Doms) when ordered new from 1980/1 on.

Another bus , Fleetline 711 was also put in service for a few weeks with another experimental livery , although that also didnt last ! -( pm sent !)

I took the photograph after spotting it as I passed the paint shop on a 42/53 bus , I had to do a quick return home to fetch my camera

Guest transit

I took the photograph after spotting it as I passed the paint shop on a 42/53 bus , I had to do a quick return home to fetch my camera

...yes hi Stuart ,and welcome aboard ! good to see you Sat at the show .- Great pic ! , - i can remember it in SYTG mag - and am sure you may have many more you could share !? Plenty on here to keep you interested for months !, and also look forward to more posts from you to reactivate some other topics, and keep our grey matter active !

...yes hi Stuart ,and welcome aboard ! good to see you Sat at the show .- Great pic ! , - i can remember it in SYTG mag - and am sure you may have many more you could share !? Plenty on here to keep you interested for months !, and also look forward to more posts from you to reactivate some other topics, and keep our grey matter active !

So who took the photo, confused

Guest bus man

BIT OF BACKGROUND

When the pte was set up they wanted a livery which was differant from other operators , ideally they wanted red in the livery for political reasons. Unfortunatley there were several independants which used red.

Therefore brown and cream was used as this was differant

By the time of the photo the pte wanted to change the livery the bus 1357 was taken to rutalnd way and was "played with" it had various lvieries inlcuding bournmouth dark blue/ yellow and black.

It ended up in the livery in the photo the pte rejected it and decided not to allow it out in that livery it got PTE livery and went in the training fleet it was then preserved at sandtoft - who when stripping found lots of colours of paint

So who took the photo, confused

Stuart took the picture AKA Alexander, he kindly gave a copy to my Dad and i raided my Dads photo collection the other night! lol

Stuart took the picture AKA Alexander, he kindly gave a copy to my Dad and i raided my Dads photo collection the other night! lol

I knew there would be a simple answer, I'm easily confused lol

sorry maybe I should have credited the picture to Stuart (aka alexander) for the picture in the first place! thanks stuart (or is that alexander?) lol

Guest alexander

sorry maybe I should have credited the picture to Stuart (aka alexander) for the picture in the first place! thanks stuart (or is that alexander?) lol

Thanks andyrad

Guest plain talker

Oi! We'll have less of that! I'm the blonde around here! lol lol ;)

Guest seanybaby

Can't remember that at all, but it does look awful. Then again it is better than what came after, Coffee and Cream... YUK!

Guest bus man

Can't remember that at all, but it does look awful. Then again it is better than what came after, Coffee and Cream... YUK!

You wont remember it as it was "secret" so secret it was parked in the back yard at rutland road and they couldnt understand how the local anoraks knew about it lol lol

Guest transit

...SYPTE Coffee and Cream livery was already around since '74 ! - this was an experimental livery to improve it ! ,... although only the fleetname (relocated above the front door / drivers cab window) , brown engine cover ,and black bumpers were adopted to become standard .

...SYPTE Coffee and Cream livery was already around since '74 ! - this was an experimental livery to improve it ! ,... although only the fleetname (relocated above the front door / drivers cab window) , brown engine cover ,and black bumpers were adopted to become standard .

Are there any photos out there of the experimental liveried Mainline buses ? W/E.

Guest transit

Are there any photos out there of the experimental liveried Mainline buses ? W/E.

...think this was the only one !?......

...think this was the only one !?......

I think most will agree that 2401 in that guise could not be improved upon. Going back though to the late 80s when Mainline was in the planning stages, at least two Atlanteans were used as guinea pigs to try out different colour schemes before yellow and red were finally decided on. Only the top half of the buses had been painted, both with red roofs, one having pale green sides,and the other pale blue sides. As Herries was to be the first Mainline operated garage these two buses were stacked in the third bay at Herries Road and as far as I know never left the garage, they were there just to generate comments from staff for the new Mainline livery. The red/ blue did not look too bad but the red/green was terrible. Our opinions were given to Dave Hearson the Herries engineering manager and to Mr Duff the Herries Road operations manager at that time. This led to the yellow replacing the green that was ultimately used for the lifetime of Mainline. If anyone is still in contact with the ex Herries painter Eric Wells hopefully he should be able to confirm this. W/E.

....could the green have been a trial colour for the Doncaster Mainline area ?

Could well have been ! All I know is that red was already decided on. echo's of the red flag flying from the Town Hall days perhaps. W/E.

Guest transit

... a pic of the three Mainline regional colours chosen ....

http://regionalbusphotosyork.fotopic.net/p67113899.html

Guest transit

I think most will agree that 2401 in that guise could not be improved upon. Going back though to the late 80s when Mainline was in the planning stages, at least two Atlanteans were used as guinea pigs to try out different colour schemes before yellow and red were finally decided on. Only the top half of the buses had been painted, both with red roofs, one having pale green sides,and the other pale blue sides. As Herries was to be the first Mainline operated garage these two buses were stacked in the third bay at Herries Road and as far as I know never left the garage, they were there just to generate comments from staff for the new Mainline livery. The red/ blue did not look too bad but the red/green was terrible. Our opinions were given to Dave Hearson the Herries engineering manager and to Mr Duff the Herries Road operations manager at that time. This led to the yellow replacing the green that was ultimately used for the lifetime of Mainline. If anyone is still in contact with the ex Herries painter Eric Wells hopefully he should be able to confirm this. W/E.

...not confusing the Mainline green livery with this Leeds visitor at Midland Rd Guided Bus test are you (top left) ;-) ? - (copy and paste into your browser) .....

file:///C:/Users/Chris/Pictures/sy%20exp.htm

...not confusing the Mainline green livery with this Leeds visitor at Midland Rd Guided Bus test are you (top left) ;-) ? - (copy and paste into your browser) .....

file:///C:/Users/Chris/Pictures/sy%20exp.htm

Sorry 'transit' I don't know how to copy and paste. I am sure that if one of the buses had been a stranger in camp we would have known about it. W/E.

Guest transit

Sorry 'transit' I don't know how to copy and paste. I am sure that if one of the buses had been a stranger in camp we would have known about it. W/E.

...best i can do !! - sorry about the quality - hence the previous link! ;-) ...