Greenland Road Garage Open Day 1983

andyrad

Guest transit

...great pic Andy , really captures the atmosphere of that great day !!!

me thinks another one is long, long overdue in this area, - ( i'd settle for an OD at either Olive Grove, Leicester Avenue or Midland Rd ! ) but since overtook by the "big 2" who tend to show little interest for enthusiasts or previous transport history milestones ect , i think its like fighting a losing battle . Plus nowadays regarding H&S , commercial viability ect ect .....which seem to be the main priorities in most projects these days , an OD like Greenland Rd was probably the last unfortunately ? - or is it ?!! ( not forgeting the last local one at Suprtrams Nunnery depot in '94?)

Guest jimmy75

totally agree with wot u say there transit health and safety issues plus wether they wud cater for the enthusiast s i know stagecoach in cumbria had open day not long since and went out of there way big time to vechile owners who urned up by given them fuel for using there vechiles on shuttle runs to from the town centre to the depot but it wud be nice if any of the big 2 did hold a open day i remember going to east bank open day aswell think was in 85 or 86

Guest transit

....i remember going to Central Works (Queens Rd) Open Day back in '75 , and that for me (schoolkid) was brilliant !!! To see all the various bays / areas for each stage of maintenance was amazing, as it gave a great insight to all the "behind the scenes" of maintaining the buses for service.(upholstery dept , mechanical dept , paintshop , even ticket macine repair room ! ) and from that visit , it became this lifelong interest which i still have some 30+ years on !!!!!

Guest alexander

....i remember going to Central Works (Queens Rd) Open Day back in '75 , and that for me (schoolkid) was brilliant !!! To see all the various bays / areas for each stage of maintenance was amazing, as it gave a great insight to all the "behind the scenes" of maintaining the buses for service.(upholstery dept , mechanical dept , paintshop , even ticket macine repair room ! ) and from that visit , it became this lifelong interest which i still have some 30+ years on !!!!!

I remember back in SYPTE days PR man Bruce Hugman organised an open day at Greenland Road and he persuaded London Transport to send about 6 bues includind I think 3 RMs and a Titan also at least one bus from GMPTE , these visiting vehicles did a shuttle service from the depot along the Parkway to Pond Street bus station . Even though it was a wet day I got some good cini film of a very memorable and unforgettable day .

I went to them all!

Remember one at halfway in 1985 where they were doing bus wash rides on a white coahline Dominator, must have been the cleanest bus in the country by 5pm!! Went to a Midland Road one when they were refurbing the RM's too

( not forgeting the last local one at Suprtrams Nunnery depot in '94?)

I drove a tram at that open day! they were doing tram driving sessions if you booked it early enough

I drove 15

Hi Busman, was thet 15 different trams? or tram number 15? think it was number 15 I drove as thats the one they were using at the time

Andy

and atlantean 1645 at Midland road open day in 1982 again going through the buswash taking rides!! what was it with buswash rides??

The programme lists the following London Transport buses as attending:

M57 (WYW57T) in London General livery

T1 (THX401S) 1933 LT livery

RM254 (VLT254) in LT fleet livery

RM951 (WLT951) in LT Golden Jubilee livery

RM1000 (100BXL) in LT fleet livery

LN42 (BYW42V) in LT golden jubilee livery

RM1737 (737DYE)

Can't find my notebook from that time at the moment, so I have no idea if these are the buses which did appear.

Guest Atlantean

The programme lists the following London Transport buses as attending:

M57 (WYW57T) in London General livery

T1 (THX401S) 1933 LT livery

RM254 (VLT254) in LT fleet livery

RM951 (WLT951) in LT Golden Jubilee livery

RM1000 (100BXL) in LT fleet livery

LN42 (BYW42V) in LT golden jubilee livery

RM1737 (737DYE)

Can't find my notebook from that time at the moment, so I have no idea if these are the buses which did appear.

I believe RM8 and RM1933 were also there that day. It was the best openday I`ve ever attended.

Guest Atlantean

At the present time I don`t think we will see any opendays with First South Yorkshire, the MD hates transport enthusiasts.