Steam Rally

ukelele lady

I've never been to any steam rally before but now I don't visit

the 1940s events my hubby is missing seeing steam trains.

He's a bit of a Fred Dibner [ he'll not be pleased me saying that ]

but he loves the smell of the coal, steam and everthing about it.

I got him a birthday prezzie one year at the Butterley Midlands Railway.

You pay so much and the first half of the day, they work in twos, one shovels

the coal in while the other drives [ drives? that doesn't sound right] then

they change over positions.

After a dinner break 3 carriages are attached and they do the same

again. Meanwhile the females go round the animal farm or cafe and chat.

It's a good day if anyone fancies themselves driving? steering ? a

steam train.

But alas I've got to go to this steam rally because he says there's old

motor bikes there and he's trudged around these 1940s events all these

years with me so a womans got to do what a womans got to do.

Dave will know the answer to this one, which day do you recommend

Saturday or Sunday? If I see you there I will make myself known.

I've never been to any steam rally before but now I don't visit

the 1940s events my hubby is missing seeing steam trains.

He's a bit of a Fred Dibner [ he'll not be pleased me saying that ]

but he loves the smell of the coal, steam and everthing about it.

I got him a birthday prezzie one year at the Butterley Midlands Railway.

You pay so much and the first half of the day, they work in twos, one shovels

the coal in while the other drives [ drives? that doesn't sound right] then

they change over positions.

After a dinner break 3 carriages are attached and they do the same

again. Meanwhile the females go round the animal farm or cafe and chat.

It's a good day if anyone fancies themselves driving? steering ? a

steam train.

But alas I've got to go to this steam rally because he says there's old

motor bikes there and he's trudged around these 1940s events all these

years with me so a womans got to do what a womans got to do.

Dave will know the answer to this one, which day do you recommend

Saturday or Sunday? If I see you there I will make myself known.

Which rally is it that you are going to ukelele lady?

The Sheffield one is fairly small. It does have motorcycles, cars and the like and usually about 12 to 16 steam engines (traction engines and road rollers).

But throughout the summer there is a rally almost every weekend within about a 100 mile radius.

Lincoln and Pickering are the biggest with around 100 engines each (but even they are dwarfed by "The Great Dorset Steam Fair", - the biggest steam rally in the world.)

Cromford is pretty good as a larger local rally.

The exhibitors and engine owners travel around the rallies so you would see the same engines, more or less, whichever rally you went to.

Now that my wife (also a keen enginewoman, - she knows her traction engines) has changed her job and has to work weekends you won't be seeing me at any rallies. One of the reasons that I resigned from Sheffield Steam & Vintage Club's committee, and I haven't been to a rally since.

To answer your question.

Most 2 day rallies run on Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday is the quieter day of the two and things can get off to a slow start, not a lot before mid day.

Sunday is busier but some exhibitors with a long journey home like to pack up earlier, so not much after 4 o'clock as things start to wind down.

There are exhibitions and displays throughout both days from around mid day to 3 o'clock so that is the busy time and the best time to be there. The grand parade of vehicles around an arena usually takes place around mid day.

I usually prefer the Sunday for visiting rallies even though the bigger more popular ones can get very busy.

Which rally is it that you are going to ukelele lady?

The Sheffield one this weekend.

The Sheffield one this weekend.

Next weekend (26 +27 June)

I would go on the Sunday

Get there around 10:30 before it starts to fill up and get busy so that you have time to stop and look around everything.

Have a short food and drink break then watch the arena event from dinnertime onwards and come home around teatime.

Next weekend (26 +27 June)

I would go on the Sunday

Get there around 10:30 before it starts to fill up and get busy so that you have time to stop and look around everything.

Have a short food and drink break then watch the arena event from dinnertime onwards and come home around teatime.

Although I won't be going it is DEFINATELY a good idea to go on the Sunday and spend Sunday afternoon there.

Everyone else will be at home or in the pub watching the World Cup first of our knock out contest matches which is England v Germany.

There will be hardly any traffic on the road and you will practically have the rally to yourself.

There are a couple of good videos showing footage taken at the 2010 Steam Rally

held at Anston ..

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Here's a link to the Penny Steam You Tube Channel

There are a couple of good videos showing footage taken at the 2010 Steam Rally

held at Anston ..

Here's a link to the Penny Steam You Tube Channel

I only asked for a few pictures so that I could identify some of the engines and see if they had got anything "new" to me which I had not seen before.

Instead I get a complete video of the rally and a link to even more.

Thanks for posting this Steve, - its almost as good as actually bothering to go to the rally.

There were suppose to be a steam rally at Beamish last weekend but we only saw

three lined up in a field , we were a bit dissapointed at first.

As we walked around the grounds we realizes that they were spending the day

driving around . This was alright but being such a vast area you tend to miss some,

like in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But here's a few of what I saw. Don't ask me names etc, the on one I remember

was Mary Margaret.

And here's a little bit of Sheffield in Beamish

There were suppose to be a steam rally at Beamish last weekend but we only saw

three lined up in a field , we were a bit dissapointed at first.

As we walked around the grounds we realizes that they were spending the day

driving around . This was alright but being such a vast area you tend to miss some,

like in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But here's a few of what I saw. Don't ask me names etc, the on one I remember

was Mary Margaret.

And here's a little bit of Sheffield in Beamish

Special prize to the member who recognises make and model etc

prize is I will buy him/her a drink tonight

wonder who will win

Special prize to the member who recognises make and model etc

prize is I will buy him/her a drink tonight

wonder who will win

FE 5736 Bathsheba is a 1924 Robey Showman's tractor

TN 216 Ayesha is a 1925 Aveling & Porter roller

PY 298 Mary Margaret is an 1889 Marshalls of Gainsborough Traction Engine

Don't know anything about "Perseverance"

The Whitby Steam Bus is not the only one about: two made it into the steam on the road topic

The Whitby Steam Bus is not the only one about: two made it into the steam on the road topic

Looks like enough for a prize there MA, if you can collect tonight

Guest transit

...and this brilliant minuature Foden steam bus spent Spring Bank Holiday giving kids free rides at Sandtoft !

Apparently the bus body is detatchable to make a Foden flat-back lorry !

Looks like enough for a prize there MA, if you can collect tonight

I might have to pass on that one, although I could collect tomorrow en route for Guildford (a necessary detour prior to my holiday proper in Somerset) lol

I am sure DaveH will be able to expand on my replies, so perhaps he should get the pint lol

FE 5736 Bathsheba is Robey of Lincoln's engine number 41492, a 4nhp compound cylinder showmans tractor, registered Jan. 1924

TN 216 Ayesha is Aveling & Porter of Rochesters engine number 11145, an 8 ton 4nhp road roller, registered Feb. 1925

PY 298 Mary Margaret is Marshalls of Gainsborough engine number 17134, a 10 ton 8nhp GP traction engine of June 1889

The reason madannie can't identify Perseverance is because the picture shows an internal combustion powered vehicle pulling the steam engines water bowser.

My records indicate that Perseverance is most likely (names can change or be shared with other engines)

Fodens of Sandbach Registration EU 3764, engine number 13068 of Sept 1928 which is a 4nhp 8 ton wagon.

As for the steam bus, I will give details later as, as madannie says there are several of these about and not all of them are original (some are "conversions") so I will check this one out first, - there is an article in an old copy of "Old Glory" if I can find it!

FE 5736 Bathsheba is Robey of Lincoln's engine number 41492, a 4nhp compound cylinder showmans tractor, registered Jan. 1924

TN 216 Ayesha is Aveling & Porter of Rochesters engine number 11145, an 8 ton 4nhp road roller, registered Feb. 1925

PY 298 Mary Margaret is Marshalls of Gainsborough engine number 17134, a 10 ton 8nhp GP traction engine of June 1889

The reason madannie can't identify Perseverance is because the picture shows an internal combustion powered vehicle pulling the steam engines water bowser.

My records indicate that Perseverance is most likely (names can change or be shared with other engines)

Fodens of Sandbach Registration EU 3764, engine number 13068 of Sept 1928 which is a 4nhp 8 ton wagon.

As for the steam bus, I will give details later as, as madannie says there are several of these about and not all of them are original (some are "conversions") so I will check this one out first, - there is an article in an old copy of "Old Glory" if I can find it!

I said DaveH would provide more info. Give that man the pint lol . Saves me detouring from my journey tomorrow lol

I thought "Perseverance" was an internal combustion vehicle, so didn't bother trying too hard to find any details.

I said DaveH would provide more info. Give that man the pint lol . Saves me detouring from my journey tomorrow lol

I thought "Perseverance" was an internal combustion vehicle, so didn't bother trying too hard to find any details.

The one in the picture IS an internal combustion vehicle.

It's name COULD be Perseverance

BUT it is towing a water bowser / water dandy for filling a steam engine boiler and it is "lined out" in typical fairground steam engine type livery.

I therefore assumed it was a service vehicle for a steam engine and that the steam engine would be called perseverance.

If my assumption is correct then the previously named Foden would be my "best fit estimate"

The steam bus in ukelele lady's post #9 is a Sentinel steam bus, as she says it is probably the only one of its kind.

The one in transits post #13 is, as transit says, a MINIATURE Foden wagon to what appears to be 6" scale (6" to the foot, or half size) as such it is unlikely ever to have come out of the Foden factory and has most likely been built as a one off by an enterprising and very skilled amateur model engineer.

HOWEVER, I am sure that this miniature is based on and modelled on an actual Foden bus that is still in existance and it is this which I am trying to look up in "Old Glory" archives.