Lowdrop

RichardB

I can quite honestly say, I've never heard of this pub, never read about it, can't find any reference to it, and its not on the 1951 Sheffield pubs list, so one up to the Ron Sanderson Collection (A selection of photographs taken in Sheffield 1960s - 1980s - contact a.lofthouse@btinternet.com, 01142679402)

Can anyone tell me anything at all about this place, where it was ?

Much of Ron Sandersons work seems to be from around S2... Hyde Park, Park Hill, Wybourn & Skye Edge...

I suspect The Lowdrop (isn't lowdrop the name of a big forge hammer?) may have been somewhere around the Woodbourn Rd area, perhaps when you drive from Cricket Inn Rd, over the railway bridge towards towards Staniforth Rd. I think this pub was somewhere in the little back streets off the side of Woodbourn Rd.

Much of the Woodbourn Rd area was flattened in the late 1970s.

Odd that the pub doesn't appear in the 1951 licensed premises list.

Strange design too

Look at the wall directly facing the camera - you'd expect that to be where the door was ?

Guest nosy nellie

There was a pub called the Low Drop round the St Philips road area.It was at the bottom of Jericho Street I remember going passed it in the fifties and it looks familier but I could not be sure perhaps I have jogged another old fogies memory.

If this is the pub that i`m thinking of, it was situated just off Attercliffe Road on one of the side streets around Ferguson Street Oakes Green area. I was working nearby as demolition of this area took place during the mid eighties.

Guest gosling

Can anyone remember the Omnibus Hotel in Attercliffe ? My grandparents were licensees there for a while in the 1940s

My dad used to frequent the Low Drop pub, he worked at Arthur Lees so I suspect it was a steel workers pub.

I also suppose it was around the Oakes Green area, as was Arthur Lees.

Guest ginney

Hi, I remember my mum & Dad spoke about the Low Drop. Mum used to live on Woodbourn Rd as a child & dad worked at

Firth Brown's. Think he used to pop on for a pint after work. That was why mum remembered, when he was late home for his tea.

Guest steelmole

I can quite honestly say, I've never heard of this pub, never read about it, can't find any reference to it, and its not on the 1951 Sheffield pubs list, so one up to the Ron Sanderson Collection (A selection of photographs taken in Sheffield 1960s - 1980s - contact a.lofthouse@btinternet.com, 01142679402)

Can anyone tell me anything at all about this place, where it was ?

I think your problem with finding it in the Sheffield pubs list is due to a name change.

The pub in the photo looks like the one that used to be near Woodhouse & Rixson steel works, Bessemer Road, Attercliffe.

It was later (I think) purchased by Woodhouse & Rixson, demolished and the land used as an off road car park.

I can't recall the original name of the pub (maybe The Crown or something similar) but the Low Drop name came from the steelworkers who used it, possibly due to the step down from the pavement into the bar area, hence "low drop"

Can anyone remember the Omnibus Hotel in Attercliffe ? My grandparents were licensees there for a while in the 1940s

I can't remember it (wasn't born), but here is the address and a keeper from 1951

Omnibus, 766 Attercliffe Road, Landlord Frederick Hamer

I think your problem with finding it in the Sheffield pubs list is due to a name change.

The pub in the photo looks like the one that used to be near Woodhouse & Rixson steel works, Bessemer Road, Attercliffe.

It was later (I think) purchased by Woodhouse & Rixson, demolished and the land used as an off road car park.

I can't recall the original name of the pub (maybe The Crown or something similar) but the Low Drop name came from the steelworkers who used it, possibly due to the step down from the pavement into the bar area, hence "low drop"

I worked at Woodhouse and Rixon early 70s you are quite right this pub was on the corner opposite and was called the "Crown" corner of Bessemer road and (not sure but think it was ) Trent street.

There was a pub called the Low Drop round the St Philips road area.It was at the bottom of Jericho Street I remember going passed it in the fifties and it looks familier but I could not be sure perhaps I have jogged another old fogies memory.

This " lowdrop" was The Victoria Hotel, 56 Jericho Street, I lived ther as a Boy from 1950- 1959.

Guest dasheff2

There was a pub on Faraday Rd on the opposite side of the road to Arthur Lees. I went in a few times in the early 70's

But i think The Low Drop was the nick name for it.

Guest mad pierre

When I was a trainee at Jonas and Colvers on Bessemer Road we would go to this pub in the afternoon this was in 1978 and as I remember the Landlords name was Mr Harold Pugh.

When I was a trainee at Jonas and Colvers on Bessemer Road we would go to this pub in the afternoon this was in 1978 and as I remember the Landlords name was Mr Harold Pugh.

Yes I remember Harold,I deliverd to The Low Drop when I was a Drayman at Whitbreads,Harold always gave us a pint after we had sorted his cellar,but he always said "don't forget to credit me with those lemonade you broke", we never broke any,but he must have thought it was a trade off for our pint!!!.I'm not sure what the office made of Harolds invoices, as most of the Draymen said the same thing happened at every Delivery!!!!, Does anyone remember the Old "Foundry Workers WMC" it was just before you got to the lowdrop coming from attercliffe rd ,it was later turned into a Carribean Club.

Yes I remember Harold,I deliverd to The Low Drop when I was a Drayman at Whitbreads,Harold always gave us a pint after we had sorted his cellar,but he always said "don't forget to credit me with those lemonade you broke", we never broke any,but he must have thought it was a trade off for our pint!!!.I'm not sure what the office made of Harolds invoices, as most of the Draymen said the same thing happened at every Delivery!!!!, Does anyone remember the Old "Foundry Workers WMC" it was just before you got to the lowdrop coming from attercliffe rd ,it was later turned into a Carribean Club.

Hi Steve

Have you seen this topic

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&p=30525

It was the Crown Inn, a late friend of mine worked in the area,

and he told me the nick - name 'Low Drop' came about due to out of hours drinking.

Workers would access the pub via a back door, to do so they had to go over a wall,

and then drop into the pub yard, it was considered to be a 'low drop'.

Map_67_crop.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2008 at 08:36, steelmole said:

Yes the 'Lowdrop' and The 'Crown Inn' were the same place until the name change. It was on the corner of Faraday Road and Bessemer Road which is between Stevenson Road and Brightside Lane. From what I understand, the place had 'unique' opening and closing hours due to the various nearby works.