Wards Brewery 1991

SteveHB

Indeed, I'd happily eat my own head for a real pint of Wards, none of this modern muck, I'll take mine in the Queens, Scotland Street, served by Vern - or, as we were early starters, probably served by me while Vern was getting himself prepared for the lunchtime workers coming in).

I wonder what the original brewings from Kirby and Roper tasted like in 1837 ?

Aye, 1837, none of this 1840 nonsense, Septimus Henry Ward didn't even join until 1868 ...

just a taster of what I hope to get posted this coming weekend (some technical issues, but research ongoing; currently focusing on brewers no-one has heard of for well over 100 years)

finest best bitter ever brewed...

I remember going in the Greyhound at Ecclesfield in my early drinking days and the bottom 1/2 inch of your pint was full of bits, it stunk like a wet dog too,as I grew older I converted from the boys beers...whitbread and stones and The Greyhound became my regular. I also worked on The Tower at Wards putting a scaffold round it with several other scaffolders in the late seventies...while we where working erecting the scaffold The wards workers let us in through the windows to look at the copper tanks that they brewed in, when they where clearing them out after they where drained they had to climb in in their underpants to shovel it down the shoots it was that hot. One of my memories from the past! I also remember the tractors with trailers collecting stuff from under the hoppers...I think it then went on for animal feed..not sure.

Guest lebourg

The tractors and trailers would be the Recreation Dept with their small Fergy tractors taking the spent hops to Graves Park nursery.

They also used to take the contents of the cows stomachs from the abattoir but that's another story.

Ie little Ernie Marriot and the punctured trailer tyre!!!!

It was the modern breed of business managers who saw more profit in hotels than in pubs. One of the old Wards tried, unsuccessfully, to stop the closure and the sale of land. Pity really ,but my 'innards took a long time to readjust to a none Wards diet!