Mill Dam South St

Stuart0742

Received this query by email,

Can anybody help.

I am writing a treatise, for personal interest only, on the 19 dams and water wheels in the

Porter Valley. This mill dam, serving the Vulcan Works, South Street , the final piece of the

jigsaw, evaded me until I read on Google...

"Gales & Martin 1787, Samuel Alsop Founder & anvil maker Sheffield Moor John ...

Ebenezer Burdekin Anvil makers Vulcan Works, South Street" ...

The following extract is as far as I have got.

"#17. VULCAN WORKS DAM

In 1865 there was a further mill-dam located behind Brunswick Wesleyan Chapel,

South Street, (later The Moor),
provided water-power for the Vulcan Works, a factory at

the junction of Porter Street and Bramhall Lane."

Can you shed any further light on the elusive Vulcan Works?

(Not the works of the same name at Effingham Rd.)

Ebenezer Burdekin Anvil makers Vulcan Works, South Street" ... The following extract is as far as I have got.

To clarify, E Burdekin is from 1828 (Blackwell's Directory)

Ellin Thomas & Co. merchants, steel converters, and table, butcher, and cook knife manufacturers, Tableknife

Works, 273 foot of Arundel street, & forgers, rollers, &c. Vulcan Works, Hereford street

1856: Whites

Vulcan was also the trademark of Thomas Ellin & Company, cutlery manufacturer.

SH link .. Smiling-Knife

According to the excellent 'Water Power on the Sheffield Rivers', there was Little Sheffield Moor or Bennett Wheel at map ref SK 350 865. Under agreement dating from 1810, and lasting until at least 1851,the dam was used to provide water for the boilers at Vulcan Works, but the dam retained the Bennett name. Thomas Ellin bought the premises in 1831, and the street adjacent to the property was named after him, Ellin Street.

The outline of the dam can be traced from present boundaries. the east side ran along the property boundary north from Ellin Street on the west side of Staples', which stands on the site of Bennett Wheel. Ellin Street marks the south west side of the dam.

According to the excellent 'Water Power on the Sheffield Rivers', there was Little Sheffield Moor or Bennett Wheel at map ref SK 350 865. Under agreement dating from 1810, and lasting until at least 1851,the dam was used to provide water for the boilers at Vulcan Works, but the dam retained the Bennett name. Thomas Ellin bought the premises in 1831, and the srett adjacent to the property waas named after him, Ellin Street.

The outline of the dam can be traced from present boundaries. the east side ran along the property boundary north from Ellin Street on the west side of Staples', which stands on the site of Bennett Wheel. Ellin Street marks the south west side of the dam.

Ellin Thomas & Co. merchants, steel converters, and table, butcher, and cook knife manufacturers, Tableknife

Works, 273 foot of Arundel street, & forgers, rollers, &c. Vulcan Works, Hereford street

1856: Whites

Vulcan was also the trademark of Thomas Ellin & Company, cutlery manufacturer.

SH link .. Smiling-Knife

John Turton & Sons Limited, Vulcan Forge & Rolling Mills; steel merchants and manufacturers, Vulcan Works, Ellin Street (White's Directory 1919)

Received this query by email,

Can anybody help.

I am writing a treatise, for personal interest only ...

I'd like to read it please !

T. Ellin Merchant Brincliffe Edge

Thomas Ellin Table knife and shoe, bread and butcher knife &c manufacturers and steel foot of Arundel Street; Vulcan Works, South Street; h. Brincliffe Edge

Thomas jun. Ellin Table knife maker h. Green Bank, South Street

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Merchants, factors & manufacturers Vulcan Works & Table Knife Works, Arundel Street

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Rolling mills Arundel Street

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Shoe, butchers', cooks', curriers' &c. knife manufacturers Arundel Street

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Steel converters & refiners Arundel Street

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Table knife manufacturers Arundel Street

Mrs Thomas Ellin h. Brincliffe Edge

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Forgers, rollers &c. Vulcan Works, Hereford Street

Mrs T Ellin Manufacturer h. Brincliffe Edge, Ecclesall Bierlow

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Merchants, steel converters and table, shoe, butcher & cook knife m anufacturers Tableknife Works, 273 foot of Arundel Street

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Merchants, steel converters and table, butcher and cook knife manufacturers 273 foot of Arundel Street & Vulcan Works, Hereford Street

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Manufacturers of steel & cutlery Sylvester Street, Arundel Street

Thos. Ellin (& Co. Ltd) Cutlery Manufacturers Sylvester Works, Arundel Street

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Cutlery manufacturers Sylvester Works, Arundel Street

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Cutlery Manufacturers Sylvester Works, Arundel Street

Not sure what any of the above means, I'm working on doing a Saint Monday before the football - maybe someone can decide what it means and let me know another day

Guest Janus

To clarify, E Burdekin is from 1828 (Blackwell's Directory)

Me too! Last piece in the jigsaw of 19 mill dams in the porter valley: Nº 17

Bennett Wheel or Sheffield Moor Wheel, aka Vulcan dam, Little Sheffield.

My thanks to all concerned.

Guest Janus

I'd like to read it please !

T. Ellin Merchant Brincliffe Edge

Thomas Ellin Table knife and shoe, bread and butcher knife &c manufacturers and steel foot of Arundel Street; Vulcan Works, South Street; h. Brincliffe Edge

Thomas jun. Ellin Table knife maker h. Green Bank, South Street

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Merchants, factors & manufacturers Vulcan Works & Table Knife Works, Arundel Street

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Rolling mills Arundel Street

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Shoe, butchers', cooks', curriers' &c. knife manufacturers Arundel Street

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Steel converters & refiners Arundel Street

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Table knife manufacturers Arundel Street

Mrs Thomas Ellin h. Brincliffe Edge

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Forgers, rollers &c. Vulcan Works, Hereford Street

Mrs T Ellin Manufacturer h. Brincliffe Edge, Ecclesall Bierlow

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Merchants, steel converters and table, shoe, butcher & cook knife m anufacturers Tableknife Works, 273 foot of Arundel Street

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Merchants, steel converters and table, butcher and cook knife manufacturers 273 foot of Arundel Street & Vulcan Works, Hereford Street

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Manufacturers of steel & cutlery Sylvester Street, Arundel Street

Thos. Ellin (& Co. Ltd) Cutlery Manufacturers Sylvester Works, Arundel Street

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Cutlery manufacturers Sylvester Works, Arundel Street

Thomas Ellin (& Co.) Cutlery Manufacturers Sylvester Works, Arundel Street

Not sure what any of the above means, I'm working on doing a Saint Monday before the football - maybe someone can decide what it means and let me know another day

Last piece in the jigsaw of 19 mill dams in the porter valley: Nº 17

My thanks to all concerned. Will post final text when completed.

Last piece in the jigsaw of 19 mill dams in the porter valley: Nº 17

My thanks to all concerned. Will post final text when completed.

Glad we could be of help and I look forward to reading the finished article.