Suggestion

ukelele lady

Would it be possible to do as another Sheffield site does ,

eg; someone wants to start a new topic and it has already been

discussed before in some form or other then a lttle box pops up

to tell you to click onto the alternative sites that have already discussed

the subject.

It saves on not having yet another topic made on the same subject.

Sometimes you don't always know that various things have been talked

about maybe 12 months earlier especially if you are new.

But I wouldn't know how to sort it :blink: another job for the boys.

Would it be possible to do as another Sheffield site does ,

eg; someone wants to start a new topic and it has already been

discussed before in some form or other then a lttle box pops up

to tell you to click onto the alternative sites that have already discussed

the subject.

It saves on not having yet another topic made on the same subject.

Sometimes you don't always know that various things have been talked

about maybe 12 months earlier especially if you are new.

But I wouldn't know how to sort it :blink: another job for the boys.

But what would the link-faireys do then !

There's enough unemployment around without adding to their numbers.

Seriously it sounds like a very good idea if it was technically and practically possible.

Hilldweller

But what would the link-faireys do then !

There's enough unemployment around without adding to their numbers.

Seriously it sounds like a very good idea if it was technically and practically possible.

Hilldweller

Don't mention the U word, I am transferring there a week on Friday :angry:

Myself I can't see it working

Myself I can't see it working

Nor me,

The site is already big and complex with the 60,000 odd posts already made.

Although we can do "link fairy" stuff on an ad-hoc "on the fly" manner putting in odd topic to topic links when we spot them it would be a major undertaking to analyse the entire site and sort of "cross reference" everything while it is still growing.

Many topics wander off topic anyway, which I quite enjoy even though I normally like logic and order in everything. The occasional "wander" can add a bit of extra interest and often spawn new topics anyway.

On top of this I think the "pop up screen" telling you that there is already a topic about what you have just posted would require additional software on the server to impliment.

Nor me,

Although we can do "link fairy" stuff on an ad-hoc "on the fly" manner putting in odd topic to topic links when we spot them it would be a major undertaking to analyse the entire site and sort of "cross reference" everything while it is still growing.

Many topics wander off topic anyway, which I quite enjoy even though I normally like logic and order in everything. The occasional "wander" can add a bit of extra interest and often spawn new topics anyway.

On top of this I think the "pop up screen" telling you that there is already a topic about what you have just posted would require additional software on the server to impliment.

I can't imagine how this would work, my Grenoside inspired thread is called "For Kathy and her next two hitch-hikers" which was intended to lead onto a 1973 Frank Zappa rock album, I only put "Grenoside Stuff actually" to try to keep some kind of order. Imagine starting a thread with the word "Pub" what would that do for the performance of the system ?

I'm one of the worse for wandering and certainly well known for loosing stuff, especially my own stuff - the various Link Faries do a tremendous job.

Now, more and more Link Faries, trained up to do the task (it's easy, even I can do it) that's a plan. The "association of ideas" my Father wobbled on about in the 60's, never knew what he meant; now, too late, perhaps I do.

Nor me,

Well after reading Daves post maybe you're right .

It could create even more complications.

Would it be possible to do as another Sheffield site does

Who and how? They're not better than us are they?,

This is probably a reference to Sheffield Forum.

As they are not specifically a Sheffield History site (although they do have a history section) they have a much wider scope than us and as a consequence more members and a larger total number of posts, therefore, the problems of finding stuff, linking related items and duplicated topics must be much worse for them, especially if they didn't have the "pop up notification".

However, if the problem gets worse with size of the databank, their problem today will be our problem tomorrow as Sheffield History continues to grow. The "pop up notifier is possibly one way to try and address this problem.

..and to answer your other question THYLACINE,

BIGGER does not necessarily mean BETTER ;-)

Yes, it's the Sheffield Forum that does this.

Yes, it's the Sheffield Forum that does this.

I've looked at the Forum. Its good if you want to sell a lounge suite, buy some chickens or trade a few vinyl records (s'cuse my cynicism) but none of that is much good to me!

I'll stay with Sheff. History. I like it. Even if it is run by a bunch of Wednesdayites. :) :)

I've looked at the Forum. Its good if you want to sell a lounge suite, buy some chickens or trade a few vinyl records (s'cuse my cynicism) but none of that is much good to me!

I'll stay with Sheff. History. I like it. Even if it is run by a bunch of Wednesdayites. :):)

I don't think I would describe myself as a "Wednesdayite" THYLACINE, or even a "Unitedite" come to that.

Sheffield Forum is OK and I have nothing against it.

Sheffield History has a different agenda to the Forum and suits my interest better so I post here and not on the Forum.

As Sheffield Forum does have a history section I do have a look from time to time to see if they are "mirroring" our topics (or vica versa). This frequently happens and often the Forum has had information that we haven't got or has a different viewpoint to us.

As a "link fairy" I have been known to place links on Sheffield History to relevant stuff in the Forum.

I don't know if the Forum do links to our stuff but perhaps we could do a bit more of this sort of link as and when it is relevant.

I don't see the Forum as an "us and them" situation or indeed as any kind of "competition" but just as a different perspective.

I don't think I would describe myself as a "Wednesdayite" THYLACINE, or even a "Unitedite" come to that.

Sheffield Forum is OK and I have nothing against it.

Sheffield History has a different agenda to the Forum and suits my interest better so I post here and not on the Forum.

As Sheffield Forum does have a history section I do have a look from time to time to see if they are "mirroring" our topics (or vica versa). This frequently happens and often the Forum has had information that we haven't got or has a different viewpoint to us.

As a "link fairy" I have been known to place links on Sheffield History to relevant stuff in the Forum.

I don't know if the Forum do links to our stuff but perhaps we could do a bit more of this sort of link as and when it is relevant.

I don't see the Forum as an "us and them" situation or indeed as any kind of "competition" but just as a different perspective.

I belong to both forums, and occasionally post links there to topics on here, and occasionally vice versa. It's heartening to see how often their members post links to us before I get to them. I only scan the history bit, and and have a look at 'recent posts', but avoid the main forum, there's too much sniping and unpleasantness for my liking. It's good to see users on here remarking on the friendliness and helpful attitude.It's one of our great 'pluses' I think.

I belong to both forums, and occasionally post links there to topics on here, and occasionally vice versa. It's heartening to see how often their members post links to us before I get to them. I only scan the history bit, and and have a look at 'recent posts', but avoid the main forum, there's too much sniping and unpleasantness for my liking. It's good to see users on here remarking on the friendliness and helpful attitude.It's one of our great 'pluses' I think.

You use what you want to use on the Sheffield Forum, there's a lot of time wasting

tittle tattle on it but also you can pick up what's going on in Sheffield.

Of course our history is superior to theirs but that's what we specialize in.

I have seen posts where they've recommended others to look on our site when

they've been searching for various history or pubs.

I post on there occasionally too.

Great stuff Bayleaf,

So a reciprocal 2 way posting of links between sites with similar interests always seemed a good idea to me.

It gets their members aware and interested in us, and also gives our members the chance to access the information they may be looking for on another site. Nothing wrong with that, it seems to make good sense.

I must admit though that on a lot of forums, and Sheffield Forum is by no means the worst, the use of bad language and unpleasant comments towards other posters put me off.

I have NEVER experienced that on Sheffield History and our friendliness and helpfulness really do come across just by reading the posts already on the site.

You use what you want to use on the Sheffield Forum, there's a lot of time wasting

tittle tattle on it but also you can pick up what's going on in Sheffield.

Of course our history is superior to theirs but that's what we specialize in.

I have seen posts where they've recommended others to look on our site when

they've been searching for various history or pubs.

I post on there occasionally too.

I agree, it's more up to date and often more accurate than the Star and even Radio Sheffield! I also like some of the humour that crops up. There was a fire on Friday at a certain bar on West street. The subject was picked up quickly an some scathing comments made about the place, but I liked the one that said "I understand the fire caused £20,000 worth of improvements."

I also like some of the humour that crops up. There was a fire on Friday at a certain bar on West street. The subject was picked up quickly an some scathing comments made about the place, but I liked the one that said "I understand the fire caused £20,000 worth of improvements."

I'd like to think that there is a similar level of humour and lightheartedness on here as well, it makes the place more inviting and friendly.

Then again, reading some of our posts, we probably have more humour than on the Forum.

One of the things I don't like about the Sheffield Forum is the lack of photographs and images which we have in abundance on here. The maps section would not even be possible without that feature.