Sheffield Bus/tram Stops

biggles111

Hi does anyone have any close up shots of 1950's /60s Sheffield bus and tram stops, and shelters? Particularly the signs and styles of pole used.

Guest bus man

Not a bus stop

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRAMMANN/?action=view&current=img069.jpg

but can you tell me where it is ?

Guest bus man

Didn't there used to be one at Pond Street. On the part furthest away from Flat Street.

1960's or 70's

If I'm right it must have been a long time ago. I've not been there for 20 years.

I can never remember one in the area you mentioned the photo is not pond st however, transit should know where it is :rolleyes:

Guest transit

I can never remember one in the area you mentioned the photo is not pond st however, transit should know where it is :rolleyes:

....got me again !!! - is it Castle Market area - or outside one of the depots ? :unsure:

Guest bus man

Its not in Sheffield 1 area

here are some shelters for you to look at

Manchester Road bus shelter

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRAMMANN/?action=view&current=COMPACTCAMERA1559.jpg

understand this is one of the oldest in Sheffield not got my Sheffield Transport Study Group mag with me as it tells you date it was installed

Eccleshall Tram Terminus

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRAMMANN/?action=view&current=COMPACTCAMERA1566.jpg

Not a bus stop

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRAMMANN/?action=view&current=img069.jpg

but can you tell me where it is ?

I was studying the detail of what I thought might be a metal fence at the bottom of the photo until I realised they were probably the sprocket holes in a slide film. The seven wires crossing the photo could be the conductors of an overhead high voltage pylon line, ( 2 three phase circuits and an overhead earth wire ). If this is the case I think we might be looking at a suburban location.

( Takes off deerstalker hat and puts down looking glass )

HD

Guest bus man

I was studying the detail of what I thought might be a metal fence at the bottom of the photo until I realised they were probably the sprocket holes in a slide film. The seven wires crossing the photo could be the conductors of an overhead high voltage pylon line, ( 2 three phase circuits and an overhead earth wire ). If this is the case I think we might be looking at a suburban location.

( Takes off deerstalker hat and puts down looking glass )

HD

On this occasion they are high power lines, but there are over head lines of a differant nature near by

On this occasion they are high power lines, but there are over head lines of a differant nature near by

Surely, this must be somewhere on the Supertram route.

Surely, this must be somewhere on the Supertram route.

I'm not so sure, the sign carries the Sheffield City Transport logo and I think that organisation was long gone by the time Supertram came on the scene. Most of the Supertram overhead system seems to be mounted at a height that would allow double-decker working, although I'm not sure about some sections of reserved track. Signs are not very efficient at keeping out tall vehicles ( bridge collisions seem very common ). The consequences of a double decker coming in contact with the overhead system at a nominal 750 volts DC and with a potential fault energy of megawatts don't want thinking about. Most overhead systems that cross roads at reduced heights seem to be protected by overhead gantry arrangements. The old 1.5kV DC Woodhead line farm crossings had a bar carrying little bells suspended on both sides of the crossings. Perhaps the other lines refered to were railway lines ?

HD

Guest transit

...i think all this overhead wiring , low height bridge height ect is a red herring !!! -- surely anything THAT important would warrent a MUCH bigger sign than the little A4 sized one ! - imagine one these days !!!

so i think it must be outside a depot area where only single deckers are allowed , such as inspection pit , ramp , parking area , wash bay ...ect ? - A sign so small , but as important , on any public road or route , would surely be a lot bigger , even back in good old Sheff Transport days !!!

Definately some sort of depot connection ........ggrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest transit

The sign is a definate STD one , however, the bridge does have a supertram connection

....oh the shame .!!!!!!! please explain what you mean by STD to the youngsters Busman !!!!!! :o

Guest bus man

....oh the shame .!!!!!!! please explain what you mean by STD to the youngsters Busman !!!!!! :o

You can

Guest transit

Sheffield Transport Department?

...STD means something very different to the "younger" generation of today - ( under 30's ? ) ... ask your doctor !!!!.... lol he he

...STD means something very different to the "younger" generation of today - ( under 30's ? ) ... ask your doctor !!!!.... lolhe he

Sheffield Transport Disease ?

I Can't work it out he he

Guest transit

Sheffield Transport Disease ?

I Can't work it out he he

...i think iv'e got that !!!!!!!! lol

....surprising how contagious it is !!!!!!!!! lol

I dont think there's a cure for it either, stuck with it for life!!! :(

Guest transit

I dont think there's a cure for it either, stuck with it for life!!! :(

.... and can often return after a few years absence !!!!!! he he

Guest alexander

Hi does anyone have any close up shots of 1950's /60s Sheffield bus and tram stops, and shelters? Particularly the signs and styles of pole used.

Crich Tramway Village has a display of Sheffield tram signs on a depot wall

.... and can often return after a few years absence !!!!!! he he

I've certainly had a severe relapse in the last year, since finding this forum :wacko: