James Whitely

RichardB

James Whitely (1829)

This worthy, whose name is well known among the erratic tribes of Thespis, was once the manager of several of the provincial theatres, among which may be enumerated those of Sheffield, Manchester, and Nottingham. He was of a singular disposition, having ever a constant and vigilant eye to his interest. One evening, during the performance of Richard the Third, he gave a tolerable proof of that being his leading principle. Representing the crooked-back tyrant, he exclaimed,

' Hence babbling dreams, you threaten here in vain, conscience avaunt,"

" that man in the brown wig there has got into the pit without paying,"

" Richard's himself again."

While on his death-bed in the town of Sheffield, he sent for an undertaker, and actually made a contract with him for the expences of his funeral, with this stipulation, he (the undertaker) should take one-half the amount in tickets, for his widow's benefit. During the representation of Macbeth, he came off the stage during the murder of the king, but found the property man had forgotten to provide the blood ; he called loudly and vociferously,

" the blood, the blood, where's the blood, my dear ?"

" Lord, Sir, I have quite forgotten it."

" You have, eh ? Never mind, I'll soon procure some,"

and at the same time giving the unfortunate property man a tremendous blow on the nose, the effect of which soon procured the wished-for blood ; he then held his hand under the droppings until a sufficiency was obtained for hands and daggers, and coolly said,

" There, my dear, that will do."

He has more than once, at Sheffield, dressed at his lodgings for Othello or Oroonoko, with his face blacked, and, completely armed at all points, deliberately walked through the streets to the theatre, with a long train of the rabble at his heels.