Jump to content
RichardB

Hero and His Horse pub on Langsett Road

Recommended Posts

RichardB

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 17.04.04.jpg

The Hero and His Horse pub on Langsett Road

Also known as The Wellington and then also The Hillsborough Hotel

Address 56 to 58 Langsett Road

This old Tetley pub was transferred to Burtonwood in its declining years, but that failed to save it. After Kelvin Flats were demolished much of its trade disappeared and the pub closed.

This however was not the end of the tale as it soon re-opened as the Hillsborough Hotel. It is now a favourite on Sheffields real ale circuit.

The change of name is not the first that the pub had seen.

It was originally known as The Hero And His Horse. In those days the Crown Brewery was situated directly across the road. Samuel Berry's Crown Brewery was taken over by Birk's of Lady's Bridge, who were taken over by Duncan Gilmour. Gilmour's were themselves taken over by Tetley in 1954.

Berry's derelict brewery still stands across the road from the Hillsborough.

RichardB : Berry's Brewery, was, of course, the scrapyard building at the bottom of Whitehouse Lane, now partially demolished (2007)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 17.05.27.jpg

 

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 17.05.52.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 17.06.42.jpg

The Wellington Pub on Langsett Road, previously The Hero And His Horse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History

The Hillsborough Hotel to give its current name, is somewhat of a singular establishment. It has two titles on its front elevation, and is the only public house still trading within the immediate vicinity of the site of Sheffield’s demolished and largely forgotten original military barracks. The Sheffield, Kelvin, Neepsend, Philadelphia or Horse Barracks. These were erected in 1794 in response to the growing social unrest arising out of the pressures of industrialization and the growth of radicalism following the French Revolution. This was a response of the government of Pitt the Younger.

The Barrack site was bounded by Penistone Road, Wood Lane, Langsett Road and Barrack Lane and replaced by Hillsborough Barracks circa 1850. The last remnant of the original Barracks going as recently as 1992. The ‘Hero’ is Arthur Wellesley [1769-1852] later Duke of Wellington and his ‘Horse’ Copenhagen he rode at Waterloo in 1815. The Hundredth Anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo was commemorated with flowers and a print of Goya’s portrait of Wellesley placed over the Hotel’s fireplace in 2015 The ‘Hero’ and his Horse would have been established soon after 1815 and along with the many other pubs with military linked names in the Hillsborough area and beyond would have had a brisk trade from both barracks up to the Army leaving Hillsborough Barracks in 1930.

There have been three different built versions of the pub known from photographs though, when it was renamed the “Wellington Inn” were not sure. When were researching licensing records which start in 1870, there were 10 different pubs named after the Duke in Sheffield. The renaming of the pub as the ‘Hillsborough Hotel’ took place after the former Burton wood Brewery pub was refurbished and opened in Spring 1999 by Del & Diane Tilling. The Hotel now had 6 letting en-suite rooms, a conservatory and a micro brewery that brewed such beers as Stannington Stout, Samuel Berry’s and my particular favorite Loxley Gold in recognition of Robin Hood’s link with Sheffield.

Since then it has gone through changes. After Del & Diane there was the Edale brewing consortium lead by Richard & Carol which took charge for a short period of time. Andrew & Helen Walker took it over 2004/5 with Tom joining the team as Manager. The Walkers continued to own the property but after a period of time leased it to several different companies during the next 10 years or so until November 2015 when it saw the return of Tom & Brigitte Delaney who are now in the process of purchasing the Hotel from the Walker Family.

The Hillsborough Hotel is once again renowned for the warm welcome you get from the hosts & their staff: friendliness, excellent food (Sunday lunch/handmade pie, peas & hand cut chips and thick gravy – oh yes!). The most important thing is the excellent selection & quality of the fine Real Ales on offer, this lad keeps a good ‘un!

Its great to see that live music has returned to the venue especially the Sunday Folk sessions organized by Jim Mac Donald and Richard Arrowsmith. Alternatively keep an eye out on the what’s on board for some great live bands on Saturday nights and in case that’s all a bit over load for you there’s always the Music Quiz on the 1st Thursday of every month.

The Hillsborough Hotel, though not in Hillsborough is a link with Sheffield’s military history and reflects the very best of the modern city. I am proud to be regarded as a regular (part of the fixture & fittings they say) and write this brief introduction of how this establishment has become once again part of the local community & a firm favorite on the Real Ale circuit here in Sheffield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
syrup

Brewers sought to recover possession.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 21 May 1869

Sheffield 3A.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History

 


Hero and his Horse has to be one of my all time favourite Sheffield pub names.

Quite unique and really strange sounding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
southside

Did this Manor Hotel application made in 1930 ever gain approval ?

Manor.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oldbloke
41 minutes ago, southside said:

Did this Manor Hotel application made in 1930 ever gain approval ?

Manor.jpg

The Manor Hotel, Fretson Road

 

It was built on Fretson Road, it's still there, as the Fairleigh Social Club since the early 90s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SteveHB
On 04/04/2007 at 10:49, RichardB said:

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 17.04.04.jpg

The Hero and His Horse pub on Langsett Road

Also known as The Wellington and then also The Hillsborough Hotel

Address 56 to 58 Langsett Road

This old Tetley pub was transferred to Burtonwood in its declining years, but that failed to save it. After Kelvin Flats were demolished much of its trade disappeared and the pub closed.

This however was not the end of the tale as it soon re-opened as the Hillsborough Hotel. It is now a favourite on Sheffields real ale circuit.

The change of name is not the first that the pub had seen.

It was originally known as The Hero And His Horse. In those days the Crown Brewery was situated directly across the road. Samuel Berry's Crown Brewery was taken over by Birk's of Lady's Bridge, who were taken over by Duncan Gilmour. Gilmour's were themselves taken over by Tetley in 1954.

Berry's derelict brewery still stands across the road from the Hillsborough.

RichardB : Berry's Brewery, was, of course, the scrapyard building at the bottom of Whitehouse Lane, now partially demolished (2007)

Year unknown.

Langsett_rd.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tozzin
On 01/04/2020 at 15:19, Oldbloke said:

The Manor Hotel, Fretson Road

 

It was built on Fretson Road, it's still there, as the Fairleigh Social Club since the early 90s.

Nowhere near Harborough Avenue and Stonecliffe  Road as it turned out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oldbloke
45 minutes ago, tozzin said:

Nowhere near Harborough Avenue and Stonecliffe  Road as it turned out.

The Mote Hall was built later, close to Stonecliffe Road, the Steel Inn on Harborough Avenue and the Merry Monk on the Manor Park Centre.

I remember doing the weekly tote runs to all three for my Grandad. We avoided the Manor Hotel like the plague, it was too  dangerous to venture near it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tozzin

I remember playing in what would become the cellar of the Steel Inn when it was being built, the brewery tried to get Wilfred Pickles to open it but he either declined or he was busy OR was it a tale my Mother told me. I lived just six doors away from it and strangely enough after living there up to 1966 when I left the Manor I never had a drink in the place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...