Bank Holiday Off Topic Ramble

Stuart0742

Mr Bagel lives outside in the summer, but in February he was in the porch of Restaurant Bahnhof Kleine Scheidegg

Still no wiser!!

So where is this Restraunt? and is it any good?

It translates as "little station"?? (I think) at Scheidegg

Never did German at school with Man Chapman but Kleine means "little" for certain and I think Banhof means "station"

Still no wiser!!

So where is this Restraunt? and is it any good?

It translates as "little station"?? (I think) at Scheidegg

Never did German at school with Man Chapman but Kleine means "little" for certain and I think Banhof means "station"

Its the Restaurant Bahnhof at Kleine Scheidegg

or the

Station cafe at Kleine Scheidegg

or the

Bringing it back to Google Maps (unfortunately no street view, as there are no streets at Kleine Scheidegg). The aerial view is here

It is a fine setting for a railway junction, especially as one of the lines is the Jungfraubahn which runs to the top of the Jungfrau. Having the Eiger as a backdrop helps the scenery somewhat as well.

Can't find my photos taken in 1981, the only time I visited Kleine Scheidegg: been saving up for another railway ticket ever since: the Jungfraubahn is not cheap.

And the Radio Moscow jingle posted by DaveH is the one I remember from my teenage years.

Now, about Button Hill :blink:

Bringing it back to Google Maps (unfortunately no street view, as there are no streets at Kleine Scheidegg). The aerial view is here

It is a fine setting for a railway junction, especially as one of the lines is the Jungfraubahn which runs to the top of the Jungfrau. Having the Eiger as a backdrop helps the scenery somewhat as well.

Can't find my photos taken in 1981, the only time I visited Kleine Scheidegg: been saving up for another railway ticket ever since: the Jungfraubahn is not cheap.

And the Radio Moscow jingle posted by DaveH is the one I remember from my teenage years.

Now, about Button Hill :blink:

I think Kleine Scheidegg is one of my all time favourite places, but as MA says not cheap

Look for Mr Bagel, he will be outside one of these days

or the

So it is a station restraunt, but the place, Kleine Scheidegg is called little somewhere or other (little Scheidegg)

So there must be a "big Scheidegg" somewhere then! :unsure:

Yes me too, play it on an endless repeat setting, add a bit of static hiss, ionospheric fading, cross channel modulation and other assorted "radio noise" and its just like the real thing.

Guaranteed to drive you mad :blink:

I think Radio Prague had a very similar Interval Tune.

So it is a station restraunt, but the place, Kleine Scheidegg is called little somewhere or other (little Scheidegg)

So there must be a "big Scheidegg" somewhere then! :unsure:

see wiki page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grosse_Scheidegg

see wiki page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grosse_Scheidegg

So their is a "big Scheidegg", or rather a Grosse Scheidegg, then. ;-)

Given away its Swiss location as well, however madannie certainly knew and I had more than a good idea.

So apart from being an advert for this restraunt who is Mr. Bagel the Jewish baker?

..and whats on the menu at this restraunt that makes it worth going half way up the Alps for?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuart0742/sets/72157624190517660/

Link to some of my Swiss Railway photos

{DaveH does a switch from SW radio mode to Jazz music}

The Acker Bilk tune you are probably thinking of was actually not Acker Bilk but Kenny Ball and his Paramount Jazzmen and was called Midnight in Moscow

It was a hit for them in 1961.

It's Russian title, taken from the tune it was adapted from was "Lenningrad Nights"

{DaveH now switches back to normal mode}

I had no idea what the tune was that you were thinking of until you mentioned Acker Bilk, - then it suddenly clicked!

So apart from the wrong title, and the wrong performer, and not knowing the year, I was pretty much spot on then! he he

So apart from the wrong title, and the wrong performer, and not knowing the year, I was pretty much spot on then! he he

Suprisingly Bayleaf, I knew exactly what you were on about as soon as you said "Acker Bilk"

One of those Eureka moments.

It was just one of Stuarts "quick" Sunday night puzzles and madannie had solved it in under 2 hours.

Stuart knows me well and that my mind can jump from one topic to another with ease, - comes in handy in boozer quizes. ;-)

Hence the DaveH in SW Radio mode and DaveH in Jazz music mode in the previous post. :rolleyes:

It's a bit like Worzel Gummidge having to change his heads lol

.. and theres also a DaveH in daft mode! :o

Just reminded me of the '6 degrees of separation' - from Button Hill to Moscow in how many moves? he he

Just reminded me of the '6 degrees of separation' - from Button Hill to Moscow in how many moves? he he

Not quite 6 degrees of separation Bayleaf

Stuart started off with Button Hill in post #1 and madannie first mentioned Moscow in post #8

So that must be 7 or 8 degrees of separation.

I am sure we can do better than that next time. lol

Which reminds me...

What has happened to Stuart0742's profile picture?

It used to be him on his wedding picture but now it seems that he has changed his head and gone into daft mode! lol

Mr Bagel indeed!

Well 2 can play at that so I have changed my profile picture from a 1976 picture of myself with long hair, a beard and a moustache (a picture which my friends refered to as the "Jesus picture", apparently because I look exactly like that image on the shroud of Turin) to a picture of the character on the front of the satirical "MAD Magazine".

I was inspired by MADannie's username and my own comments in this thread about different modes and having a "daft mode"

Stuart questioned my use of this image by PM and I asked him to Google it for the details.

Being a bit slow off the mark this time I have done it myself

MAD MAGAZINE

I thought the MAD character was called Hiram something or other but apparently he is called Alfred E. Neuman.

Shows you how long it must be since I last read a copy.

I think Kleine Scheidegg is one of my all time favourite places, but as MA says not cheap

Look for Mr Bagel, he will be outside one of these days

Mr Bagel ventured out side today, I think this is the 1st time this year

Mr Bagel ventured out side today, I think this is the 1st time this year

Is he planning a visit to Sheffield?