Bank Holiday Off Topic Ramble

Stuart0742

A bit of a Sunday Evening challenge

Assuming this is Button Hill, can anybody find the same view on Google SV

Best I can do is this:

Image from Google Street View

Not exactly right because of the angle at which the image was taken: it is looking from Carter Knowle Road up towards the junction of Button Hill with Banner Cross Road (where the semi-detached house in the background on the left is). The tree growth in intervening years doesn't help, either, but I think the giveaway on the location is the odd house which looks like half a semi to the right of the largest tree on the left: it is clearly still there if a progression along Button Hill is made on Streetview:

The gap in coverage at the bottom of Button Hill doesn't help either.

A bit of a Sunday Evening challenge

That looks a brilliant match to me madannie

Stuarts "Sunday evening challenge" was exactly that, - solved in just under 2 hours. ;-)

Saved you from having to watch "Songs of Praise" or "The Antiques Roadshow" on TV lol

That looks a brilliant match to me madannie

Stuarts "Sunday evening challenge" was exactly that, - solved in just under 2 hours. ;-)

Saved you from having to watch "Songs of Praise" or "The Antiques Roadshow" on TV lol

Never watch anything on TV, as I haven't owned one for 15 years. It is why I have so much time to puzzle out tram locations and other sundry stuff relating to Sheffield.

Never watch anything on TV, as I haven't owned one for 15 years. It is why I have so much time to puzzle out tram locations and other sundry stuff relating to Sheffield.

I know another lady just like you.

Doesn't own a TV, only ever listens to BBC Radio 4 and forever being "checked out" by the TV licencing authority.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

However, I have just done some posts in another topic on 3D films, and in particular HD 3D TV, where I have quoted a research finding that 25,000 households in Britain still have a black & white TV licence (current annual cost £49). There's nothing wrong with that either to my mind, - but for the people that produced the statistic there is.

It wouldn't do for us all to be the same and waste most of our evenings sat around a state of the art full colour HD 3D TV watching TV would it.

Most of the programmes are crap anyway, - especially when the BBC insist on reeling out the same boring, loathsome, idiotic, overpaid presenters!

...Most of the programmes are crap anyway, - especially when the BBC insist on reeling out the same boring, loathsome, idiotic, overpaid presenters!

This is probably true: even with the BBC iPlayer I don't find much worth watching. Just got out of the habit, I suppose. Even when I visit relations in Sheffield I no longer sit myself down in front of the TV anymore. I did have a TV at one time, but it was a 12 inch black and white. I have never owned a colour set.

In my case I spend most of my time listening to Radio 3 or foreign classical music stations online. I particularly like the Australian classical station: it can seem odd listening to evening concerts at breakfast time :blink:

This is probably true: even with the BBC iPlayer I don't find much worth watching. Just got out of the habit, I suppose. Even when I visit relations in Sheffield I no longer sit myself down in front of the TV anymore. I did have a TV at one time, but it was a 12 inch black and white. I have never owned a colour set.

In my case I spend most of my time listening to Radio 3 or foreign classical music stations online. I particularly like the Australian classical station: it can seem odd listening to evening concerts at breakfast time :blink:

Foreign stations :)

Now I used to have a passion for short wave radio before the Internet and easy world wide communications came along.

There was a sort of magic involved in picking up a weak, fading, crackling signal which had come to your receiver from half way around the world.

How many people use, - or have even heard of, short wave world wide radio these days?

Foreign stations :)

Now I used to have a passion for short wave radio before the Internet and easy world wide communications came along.

There was a sort of magic involved in picking up a weak, fading, crackling signal which had come to your receiver from half way around the world.

How many people use, - or have even heard of, short wave world wide radio these days?

I remember having a radio cassette player in my teens which had short wave, and being fascinated by those foreign stations. I might even get nostalgic for Radio Moscow and their weird view of world events in those Cold War days. It all seems too easy these days to just click on the mouse a few times and start listening to the radio from anywhere in the world in crystal clear sound. Perhaps I need some of that shortwave hiss and crackle.

I remember having a radio cassette player in my teens which had short wave, and being fascinated by those foreign stations. I might even get nostalgic for Radio Moscow and their weird view of world events in those Cold War days. It all seems too easy these days to just click on the mouse a few times and start listening to the radio from anywhere in the world in crystal clear sound. Perhaps I need some of that shortwave hiss and crackle.

Radio Moscow and other Eastern Block Communist states (most notably Radio Prague, Czechoslovakia, Radio Tirrana, Albania and Radio Berlin, East Germany to name just 3) had some very powerful SW transmitters which could be picked up clearly just about anywhere on Earth and their programmes were in all major languages. Their identity and call sign were given after every item and their shut down signature tunes were immediately recognisable. Their programmes were as expected, Communist propaganda.

Interestingly I was listening to SW radio in 1988-9 and was suprised at the risks some of these stations, most notably Radio Vilnius, Lithuania, by broadcasting messages openly which were pro west, anti Communist and even anti USSR. It was within weeks of this that Communism in Eastern Europe collapsed and the Berlin wall finally came down.

I still have a SW radio and most of these stations have now gone, - or at least broadcast at much lower power mainly in their own languages so that they are not as conspicuous. Today the most powerful station which you can pick up anywhere seems to be RCI (Radio China International) Many of their broadcasts are in English and of course China is still a Communist country, - but most of their broadcasts are pro western and about openness and International relations.

That brings back memories! Midnight news bulletin in English from Radio Moscow, warning the people of Europe that the proposed "Common Market" was a plot by the German coal and iron barons to take control of the economy and enslave us all. Ah, happy days! Is my memory going or did they introduce the news with a few bars of 'Moscow Skies'?

That brings back memories! Midnight news bulletin in English from Radio Moscow, warning the people of Europe that the proposed "Common Market" was a plot by the German coal and iron barons to take control of the economy and enslave us all. Ah, happy days! Is my memory going or did they introduce the news with a few bars of 'Moscow Skies'?

All of the Communist stations had their own "signature tune" which was just a couple of bars of music.

I have some of these in an old copy of World Radio & TV handbook,

Radio Moscows signature is this one. (or choice of 2)

I recognise the tune by sound but not by name.

I thought the siganature tune was "The East is Red"?

Or perhaps it's my memory going, wasn't "The East is Red" the tune that Sputnik I played back to Earth endlessly while in orbit?

I often listen to ABC Classic FM driving to work and Classic Drive on the way home, the other ABC stations are almost wall to wall politics and if you're unfortunate enough to get the regional Tasmanian ABC station, get ready to be bored witless by a continuous flow of mind-numbing political commentary. Believe it or not, I listen to Radio Sheffield on-line at work every day!

Believe it or not, I listen to Radio Sheffield on-line at work every day!

Now that must be confusing, what's the time difference 11 hours?

so if you drive to work at 8:00am thats 9:00 pm the night before here?

So when Toby Fosters "Bigger at Breakfast" is on at 8:00am here its 7:00 pm there.

Now that must be confusing, what's the time difference 11 hours?

so if you drive to work at 8:00am thats 9:00 pm the night before here?

So when Toby Fosters "Bigger at Breakfast" is on at 8:00am here its 7:00 pm there.

Due to daylight saving in both countries, the time difference presently is 9 hours, so the cup final was screened live here starting at midnight, fortunately there was no extra time! When I arrive at work at 9 am I catch the last hour of the late show, then Radio 5 live, "up all night" But after an hour or so of five live I listen to recordings of Rony and Gerry Kersey. I really miss Football Heaven in the off season, I'm educating everyone in the dept. here about football in South Yorkshire, they know all the teams, some of the players even, And they love Praise or Grumble. Sometimes I have to translate but usually they just crack up hearing the accents.

All of the Communist stations had their own "signature tune" which was just a couple of bars of music.

I have some of these in an old copy of World Radio & TV handbook,

Radio Moscows signature is this one. (or choice of 2)

I recognise the tune by sound but not by name.

I thought the siganature tune was "The East is Red"?

Or perhaps it's my memory going, wasn't "The East is Red" the tune that Sputnik I played back to Earth endlessly while in orbit?

Now this little audio clip is exactly how I remember the Radio Moscow interval signal, endlessly repeating itself until the next programme.

(or, if it was late night listening, until I fell asleep)

moscow.mp3

Now this little audio clip is exactly how I remember the Radio Moscow interval signal, endlessly repeating itself until the next programme.

(or, if it was late night listening, until I fell asleep)

moscow.mp3

Nope, don't recognise that one Dave. I'm not very good at reading music, but the second one could be it. I remember it as the opening bars of a piece called, as far as I remember, 'Under Moscow Skies', I think it might have been by Acker Bilk, but the theme might have been pinched from a Russian tune!

(I was just thinking, it's amazing how topics can wander on here, this started as a picture puzzle!)

Nope, don't recognise that one Dave. I'm not very good at reading music, but the second one could be it. I remember it as the opening bars of a piece called, as far as I remember, 'Under Moscow Skies', I think it might have been by Acker Bilk, but the theme might have been pinched from a Russian tune!

{DaveH does a switch from SW radio mode to Jazz music}

The Acker Bilk tune you are probably thinking of was actually not Acker Bilk but Kenny Ball and his Paramount Jazzmen and was called Midnight in Moscow

It was a hit for them in 1961.

It's Russian title, taken from the tune it was adapted from was "Lenningrad Nights"

{DaveH now switches back to normal mode}

I had no idea what the tune was that you were thinking of until you mentioned Acker Bilk, - then it suddenly clicked!

(I was just thinking, it's amazing how topics can wander on here, this started as a picture puzzle!)

It was just one of Stuarts "quick" Sunday night puzzles and madannie had solved it in under 2 hours.

Stuart knows me well and that my mind can jump from one topic to another with ease, - comes in handy in boozer quizes. ;-)

Hence the DaveH in SW Radio mode and DaveH in Jazz music mode in the previous post. :rolleyes:

It's a bit like Worzel Gummidge having to change his heads lol

.. and theres also a DaveH in daft mode! :o

It's a bit like Worzel Gummidge having to change his heads lol

.. and theres also a DaveH in daft mode! :o

Which reminds me...

What has happened to Stuart0742's profile picture?

It used to be him on his wedding picture but now it seems that he has changed his head and gone into daft mode! lol

Which reminds me...

What has happened to Stuart0742's profile picture?

It used to be him on his wedding picture but now it seems that he has changed his head and gone into daft mode! lol

Its Mr Bagel from Restaurant Bahnhof Kleine Scheidegg

Well you did ask!

Its Mr Bagel from Restaurant Bahnhof Kleine Scheidegg

Well you did ask!

Mr Bagel :unsure: a Jewish baker then!

Restaurant Bahnhof Kleine Scheidegg, a German restraunt <_<

Or, knowing you, more likely a Swiss Restraunt.

What's it all about then?

{DaveH does a switch from SW radio mode to Jazz music}

The Acker Bilk tune you are probably thinking of was actually not Acker Bilk but Kenny Ball and his Paramount Jazzmen and was called Midnight in Moscow

It was a hit for them in 1961.

It's Russian title, taken from the tune it was adapted from was "Lenningrad Nights"

{DaveH now switches back to normal mode}

I had no idea what the tune was that you were thinking of until you mentioned Acker Bilk, - then it suddenly clicked!

Although it is "Midnight in Moscow" to Jazz fans it is claimed to be "borrowed" from the Russian tune "Lenningrad Nights" but its Russian title translates as "Moscow Nights" as you said Bayleaf.

Then again, Lenningrad has gone out of favour with the Russians these days, - they would probably want to call it Saint Petersberg Nights now lol

See link for details of this song

Moscow Nights

Mr Bagel :unsure: a Jewish baker then!

Restaurant Bahnhof Kleine Scheidegg, a German restraunt <_<

Or, knowing you, more likely a Swiss Restraunt.

What's it all about then?

Mr Bagel lives outside in the summer, but in February he was in the porch of Restaurant Bahnhof Kleine Scheidegg

Mr Bagel lives outside in the summer, but in February he was in the porch of Restaurant Bahnhof Kleine Scheidegg

Well and truly off topic now :rolleyes:

Well and truly off topic now :rolleyes:

Perhaps you need a new "match this picture using Google Street" challenge to get it back on topic.

But as it was a Sunday evening challenge you will have to wait until next week to post it. :(

The secret is, - find a location that will take 7 days to solve and not just a couple of hours. ;-)

Nobody has solved my "mystery clock" yet and that has been on over a week B)