Radio Hallam

Sheffield History

I used to work at Radio Hallam and am building an archive for ex-staff and other interested people. I am looking for old audio/pictures etc. Please PM me with anything you may be able to contribute.

In the meantime - here is a memory for you........

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9n6eGknwDykSTVsX0ZzRmhURFE/edit?usp=sharing

That brings back some memories!

If I recall, there used to be still frames of each the radio stations logos while the announcement was playing in the background

Thanks for sharing it :)

Does anyone have or know of any written records of the top 40 show on Hallam? I have a keen interest in music charts and these and other Independent Local Radio charts are mostly lost to posterity. Which is a waste. Even a hand written note done at the time or copied note of a taped recording would be appreciated.

Yes you are correct, won loads of prizes but they were rubbish

I won a good one in 1977.

Steve Marriott's "Small Faces Revival" at The City Hall

They announced that there would be a question about the Small Faces at the end of the next record. First person to phone with the correct answer got 2 tickets.

I was so confident that I would know the answer, I dialed the number, all but the last digit, and waited for the question.

Halfway through the question I added the last number and was (presumably) the first call they got.

This is a link to a message sent by Rick Wakeman for the 40th Radio Hallam Anniversary party which had an amazing number of ex-staffers from the "Hartshead Days". Some ex-staff/presenters who had not been heard of for years turned up including Johnnie Moran and Kelly Temple. WIll post some pictures in due course.... I'm still looking for audio/video/scans etc. so please PM me if you can help.

I won a good one in 1977.

Steve Marriott's "Small Faces Revival" at The City Hall

They announced that there would be a question about the Small Faces at the end of the next record. First person to phone with the correct answer got 2 tickets.

I was so confident that I would know the answer, I dialed the number, all but the last digit, and waited for the question.

Halfway through the question I added the last number and was (presumably) the first call they got.

Good job you didn't end up eating "Humble Pie"

(PS - finally got validated - A)

Here are some pictures from the Radio Hallam 40th that took place on Friday 3rd October.

Nearly everyone who worked at "Hartshead" and is still alive was there - Fantastic turnout

and great to meet so many old colleagues.

10630708_532117320265125_752418300157117

10714128_532105903599600_770908706260981

10714016_532103910266466_151764455264281

10446257_532099533600237_896964417528179

10453013_532109093599281_144808508740593

Good job you didn't end up eating "Humble Pie"

(PS - finally got validated - A)

lol

Ey Up.

I gave the other ticket to "Ringer" - Remember ?

Were you working at Asline Rd around that time ?

lol

Ey Up.

I gave the other ticket to "Ringer" - Remember ?

Were you working at Asline Rd around that time ?

Don't remember it (there's a surprise) but in 1977 got married and went to work at RM. Would have enjoyed it though as people don't seem to realise what an influence Stevie Marriott was, and what energy on stage. Radio Hallam seemed to play lots of his music.

Brilliant pictures Michael. Any more?

Great shot of Keith and Kelly.

Kelly's voice still rings in my ears with his top 40 voice. "ten minutes after two".

Does Keith still tell the tale of the Zebra crossing?

Many thanks for the link SteveHB - also found Stuart Linnell with Seb Coe and some other oddments.

Will post some more pics from the party as soon as I have them.

Many thanks for the link SteveHB - also found Stuart Linnell with Seb Coe and some other oddments.

Will post some more pics from the party as soon as I have them.

The thanks go to RichardB, he bought the old paper, scanned it and put it on here,

all I did was add a link.

Does anyone know the brand and model details of the main broadcast turntables used by Hallam in the late 70's? I know it started with Gates units with Gray research tonearm in 74 but what were the instant fader start decks used later?  Also what tonearm and cart? 

Slightly off topic.

I remember when I used to work in town. We quite often went to the Dove and Rainbow at lunch time (circa 1980) Roger Moffat was always in with Ray Stewart and his wife/girlfriend.

Mr Moffat had a walking stick with a bicycle bell on it. I asked him why, he said so he didn't run people down.

Obvious really. Nutter hehe