Radio Hallam

Sheffield History

That's a fantastic set of posts - thanks hugely for posting them !

The Hallam van brings back loads of memories for me as does the reception desk where I used to go for badges and signed pictures !

mega_monty thanks for posting pictures that thousands of words could never do.

One of the best posts on here so far... well for me at any rate.

Guest tsavo

On a sad note, for me, my old mate Jim Greensmith died of a brain tumor two years ago. He was then working for South Yorkshire Police as the Senior Press Officer.

On a lighter note, visiting the Hallam loo was a bit of a shock. They were unisex. Red face for me thinking I'd strolled into the ladies.

Remember some other guy called Roger Kirk doing Night Owls

Anyone remember 'Roger the imposter'?

A caller that used to call Roger Kirk up and was called 'Roger' and had everyone in the region going mad and calling in after his 'unusual' discussions.

;-)

lol

Heres some Hallam people that may jog a few memories

The only name I don't recognise is Sarah Bridger

Anyone got any sound clips of her?

If you fancy listening to some of the jingles from the Radio Hallam's first package from 1974, I've posted them on my webspace which can be accessed from the link below

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mawlkw

Eventually I hope to get some more sound bites on, when I get round to lifting them off the cassettes. :rolleyes:

If you fancy listening to some of the jingles from the Radio Hallam's first package from 1974, I've posted them on my webspace which can be accessed from the link below

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mawlkw

Eventually I hope to get some more sound bites on, when I get round to lifting them off the cassettes. :rolleyes:

Welcome Markbaby, Thanks for your contribution, personally I'm still struggling with the new technology of cassette tapes !!! Those 8-Tracks were alright you know :rolleyes:

I suspect you have a little less on the clock, a little more hair left and a considerable less round the middle !!!

Again, Welcome !

What about:

'Move over to Monty's'

'Look for the DC Cook sign'

'You'll be impressed in Presto'

They don't make the ad jingles like they used to.

Guest Sheffield Steve

Do I remember Radio Hallam?

Heck, I grew up with it!!

Some jingles and Ads I remember are:

"Fresh as tomorrow, good for you, good for me, can't wait 'til tomorrow, better fetch a Fletcher loaf."

"South Yorkshire Caravans the friendly road to freedom, think first South Yorkshire Caravans and you''' be glad you've seen them - South Yorkshire Caravans."

"Roger Moffat, only Moffat, he'll share all his feelings with you. Roger Moffat, oh think nothin' of it, we may even have a laugh or two."

I got Kelly Temple's autograph once at a club he was DJ'ing in - I was well proud!!

"Fresh as tomorrow, good for you, good for me, can't wait 'til tomorrow, better fetch a Fletcher loaf."

Can't remember the first bit of that - but can remember the ending about 'better fetch..' etc

lol

Radio Hallam

Any one remember Richard Searlings Soul Source, a brilliant show by a well now Northern Soul DJ, I still listen to the tape now, wish I could get it copied to a CD.

Mark

Shouldn't be too difficult to get onto a cd - I'll see if I have a tape deck - if I have I'll do it for you

Guest Angus Prune

I've got a copy of "The Radio Hallam Radio Annual" from about 1983 lying around somewhere, which features loads of old photos, many of which appear in earlier posts. Takes me right back to the time I won a Radio Hallam key fob for doing an impression of Neil off "The Young Ones" on the roadshow at Halfway bus depot open day....

OK Hallam fans feast your eyes on these pictures. I came across this souvenir programme celebrating the staitions one year anniversary. if you like what you see i will scan the entire thing and post it in stages.

Guest Noise Heat Power

Fantastic pictures everyone - rest assured that anyone who's able to add more scans or photos will be doing a great public service. Truly, you will be blessed.

I close my eyes and I'm back at the Radio Hallam Fun Tour in Millhouses Park, desperate for Martin Kelner's autograph, a past-his-prime Gary Glitter waiting close by in an obviously-rented limousine.....

Guest DaveNightingale

I used to listen to Hallam all the time when I was younger.

Who can forget the ads?

Roxy's - Is that all right for yers?

Mr. Hodgekiss, Mr Hodgekiss!

The moor the merrier, the moor the moor the merrier!

Fletchers Bread - Good for you, good for me. Don't wait till tomorrow better fetch a Fletchers loaf!

Just you wait until you hear these...

Old Hallam Adverts

I was lucky enough to gain these with a large number of other ads and jingles dubbed from a good friend who had once worked at Hartshead and Herries Road and almost cried when I heard them.

My old fella was the non-league football correspondent at Hallam from almost 8 years from the late 70's to the mid 80's where he then went into print journalism, and his job was taken by Brian Bradley. His boss was the great Alan Biggs - a lovely bloke. Many was an evening spent in the newsroom at Hartshead with him and my claim to fame is that I was there and saw the news come through via telex that John Lennon had been shot.

Guest DaveNightingale

OK Hallam fans feast your eyes on these pictures. I came across this souvenir programme celebratig the staitions one year anniversary. if you like what you see i will scan the entire thing and post it in stages.

...and what I wouldn't give for a copy of said book ,plus the one that came out about 5 years later.

They're like golddust but I'd pay a small fortune to get hold of them both...

I remember the Sheffield Show many times in the 1980s and each year there seemed to be a battle about which radio station had the bigger stage, Hallam or BBC Radio Sheffield

Just you wait until you hear these...

Old Hallam Adverts

I was lucky enough to gain these with a large number of other ads and jingles dubbed from a good friend who had once worked at Hartshead and Herries Road and almost cried when I heard them.

My old fella was the non-league football correspondent at Hallam from almost 8 years from the late 70's to the mid 80's where he then went into print journalism, and his job was taken by Brian Bradley. His boss was the great Alan Biggs - a lovely bloke. Many was an evening spent in the newsroom at Hartshead with him and my claim to fame is that I was there and saw the news come through via telex that John Lennon had been shot.

Many thanks for sharing those ads Big Dave, like you I almost cried on hearing them again. If the voice overs had been on them then I'm sure the flood gates would have opened

Guest Noise Heat Power

"Only gold can make your dreams unfold... only gold from Bramall's Gold Room... at Herries Road South, Hillsborough!"

I pride myself on my instant recall of old Hallam ads, but THIS one had slipt the memory seemingly forever, only to come rushing back as soon as I heard the first bars of the tune.

Thanks SO much. They are absolute gold. (From Bramall's Gold Room, natch).

Guest Derrick Connolly

The station went on air in October 1974. Keith Skues, a former presenter of BBC Radio's Saturday Club and Nightride, was Programme Director - a post he retained for more than ten years.

I was present at the start of the very first broadcast- with an early version of a portable video camera and recorder. (and no, before you ask, I no longer have the recording.)

Kieth Skues was determined that the first output from the new station should be absolutely perfect and had the opening announcement and opening music pre-recorded on reel to reel audio tape. Sods Law struck when the first 10 seconds went out at half speed. His face was a picture as could be expected after all that careful planning! His language could best be described as "choice".

Not quite accurate, after weeks of testing the first record stuck, I thought we hadn't been thorough enough in testing the Gates turntables but at th 30th anniversary reunion Ian Rufus (the original news editor) admitted that he put some news cartridges next to the record arm and the back of the pickup arm and it stopped the arm moving across. It took him 30 years to admit it though and I'd spent all that time thinking it was my responsibilty.

The tapes had been the "trade test" immediately before the official opening

Guest Derrick Connolly

I think Radio Hallam used to have a black Bedford CF van with a high roof that had the round Radio Hallam badge stuck to the front, they must have used it for roadshows etc. Recall seeing it trundling around Sheffield years after Radio Hallam had disposed of it as you could see where the round Radio Hallam badge had been peeled off.

The van was also the first radio car with UHF transmitters, a 10m Hilo pump up mast and a reinforced roof that could be used for commentaries