Radio Hallam

Sheffield History

....exactly , thats why i asked - !!!!

- for such a local celeb in the mid 70-80's , it seems strange he just seemed to dissapear into thin air with no trace , which makes it all the more intriquing !????

So what happened to Lord Lucan then? :unsure::rolleyes: :unsure:

Guest DaveNightingale

Here's a few memories of a few company's you may have used after hearing on Hallam....I did post these back in 2008 earlier in this thread,but thought you might appreciate hearing them again!

http://www.mediafire.com/?bcmw1htztdf

The recordings are taken from the Master reel which was saved when they moved from Hartshead.

Guest transit

...great stuff Dave , remember it from your original post !

Maybe you , and anyone else can help on this list, of what happened to the original Radio Hallam DJs ect based at Hartshead from '74 to the mid 80's?

Keith Skues (cardboard shoes) - still presenting on radio

Jonny Moran - believed still alive

Roger Moffatt - deceased

Bill Crozier - deceased

Ray Stuart - deceased

Colin Slade - believed still alive

Kelly Temple - believed still alive

Jim Greensmith - news reporter - deceased

Alan Biggs - sports reporter - still does soccer reports on radio / tv

Dave Kilner - deceased

Chris Rodgers - now a news reporter/ presenter for BBC

Beverley Chubb - believed still alive

Mike Rouse - believed still alive

.Please feel free to add details / names and info ect if you can !

...great stuff Dave , remember it from your original post !

Maybe you , and anyone else can help on this list, of what happened to the original Radio Hallam DJs ect based at Hartshead from '74 to the mid 80's?

Keith Skues (cardboard shoes) - still presenting on radio

Jonny Moran - believed still alive

Roger Moffatt - deceased

Bill Crozier - deceased

Ray Stuart - deceased

Colin Slade - believed still alive

Kelly Temple - believed still alive

Jim Greensmith - news reporter - deceased

Alan Biggs - sports reporter - still does soccer reports on radio / tv

Dave Kilner - deceased

Chris Rodgers - now a news reporter/ presenter for BBC

Beverley Chubb - believed still alive

Mike Rouse - believed still alive

.Please feel free to add details / names and info ect if you can !

What sad reading that is.

To me 1974 to 1985 is "the day before yesterday", not that long ago.

Some of these presenters can't have been that much older than me

But to read a list of well known names saying that half of them are dead and the other half are only believed to be alive is very saddening. :(

Surely presenting radio programmes is not such a high risk high stress occupation that it leads to an early grave :unsure:

Guest transit

What sad reading that is.

To me 1974 to 1985 is "the day before yesterday", not that long ago.

Some of these presenters can't have been that much older than me

But to read a list of well known names saying that half of them are dead and the other half are only believed to be alive is very saddening. :(

Surely presenting radio programmes is not such a high risk high stress occupation that it leads to an early grave :unsure:

...sorry Dave , but your last sentence is a bit wide of the truth in reality !!!

being a radio presenter / DJ is one of the most stressful jobs around !

1 - you must gain your listeners through your personality - if people dont like you or how you sound , they will not listen

2 - Although your "on-air " gig may only be for a few hours , the planning /reseach will have taken most of your "off-air" time

3 - in your spare time , you constantly trawl for new ideas , gimmicks ect to make your slot the best

4 - The worry that one mistake "on -air" will be remembered forever

5 - you reguarly work outside normal hours , and can be easily drawn to unhealthy eating / drinking habits

6 - you have to always look good and presentable

7 - the "buzz" after a successfull gig/ show, makes it hard to slow / wind down for a few hours

8 - constanly listening to the latest releases to keep "up to date"

9 - the constant worry that you will be replaced by a younger , better looking and slicker upstart

....the list goes on !!!!

...the ones who make it look so easy , are usually the ones who have done it for years - including Chris Rodgers who joined Radio Hallam as a YTS trainee in '80 at 16 years old , and worked through the ranks to now be a BBC News Presenter , no others really made it big other than our local celebrity scene. Very few make it a lifetime occupation (50 years) other than national DJ's like DLT , Tony Blackburn, Noel Edmonds .

...btw , i am not a DJ , but was a great mate of one , and i saw him at the verge of making it big , to gradually start to lose it all through the constant worry and stress of trying to keep bettering himself , even after winning the best Yorkshire DJ award early 90's.

His genious / hyper mind eventually made him commit suicide in his mid 30's

...sorry Dave , but your last sentence is a bit wide of the truth in reality !!!

being a radio presenter / DJ is one of the most stressful jobs around !

1 - you must gain your listeners through your personality - if people dont like you or how you sound , they will not listen

2 - Although your "on-air " gig may only be for a few hours , the planning /reseach will have taken most of your "off-air" time

3 - in your spare time , you constantly trawl for new ideas , gimmicks ect to make your slot the best

4 - The worry that one mistake "on -air" will be remembered forever

5 - you reguarly work outside normal hours , and can be easily drawn to unhealthy eating / drinking habits

6 - you have to always look good and presentable

7 - the "buzz" after a successfull gig/ show, makes it hard to slow / wind down for a few hours

8 - constanly listening to the latest releases to keep "up to date"

9 - the constant worry that you will be replaced by a younger , better looking and slicker upstart

....the list goes on !!!!

...the ones who make it look so easy , are usually the ones who have done it for years - including Chris Rodgers who joined Radio Hallam as a YTS trainee in '80 at 16 years old , and worked through the ranks to now be a BBC News Presenter , no others really made it big other than our local celebrity scene. Very few make it a lifetime occupation (50 years) other than national DJ's like DLT , Tony Blackburn, Noel Edmonds .

...btw , i am not a DJ , but was a great mate of one , and i saw him at the verge of making it big , to gradually start to lose it all through the constant worry and stress of trying to keep bettering himself , even after winning the best Yorkshire DJ award early 90's.

His genious / hyper mind eventually made him commit suicide in his mid 30's

Can't say I fully agree with you there transit, after all, THEY chose to do the job, they could do something else.

You will be trying to convince me next that top professional footballers are underpaid and they they do actually work more than 90 minutes a week :o

Perhaps the stress comes from their constant career climbing, egotist attitude, and, as you list, self inflicted pressures to "better themselves"

These are exactly the "pressures" that stock market workers, financial workers and bankers would quote as giving them high levels of stress as well, - and they don't exactly do a lot for their money either!

I don't actually like many radio and television presenters as it happens, as witnessed by my comments on Crista Ackroyd, and I think the best definition of radio and television are, -

"Inventions which allow you to be entertained in your own home by people you wouldn't normally allow in your house" lol

Guest fordie

Hi Guys.. good to join a like minded group... fab to read your posts

I have a heap of pictures taken at the good old Radio Hallam.. as a photographer in Sheffield, I covered many of the events Hallam held since the opening on the roof at Hartshead in the the 70's. happy to share, images and the memories. Gerry Rafferty in 1978 RIP.. happy days, mike ford

Guest fordie

WOW

this list make you think

Dave Kilner bless him, he was a good pal... I remember the day he arrived at Hallam.. he was there as a 'boy' alongside with Richard Tandy

so young, so full of life.. eager to do a good job and later a show... His super wife Shirley.. they met at Hallam.

Roger, the day 'elvis' story broke, wow that was a day and a half!

I know Kelly is now a very successful business man in London... I can still see his happy smiles!

Keith S, will always be on 'the radio'

I was happy to share happy times with

Jonny Moran, Roger Moffatt, Bill Crozier ,Ray Stuart, Colin Slade, Kelly Temple, Jim Greensmith, Roger Brooks

Alan Biggs,Dave Kilner, Beverley Chubb and Mike Rouse. My special thanks to my old friend David Longman who was Hallams marketing and PR person David now runs a great charity see www.killingcancer.co.uk

David was responsible for me taking images of all the 'vip' visitors that came to Radio Hallam in Sheffield.... Elton John, Def Leppard, Cliff Richard, Tom Jones, Marc Bolan, Noddy Holder, Paula Yates, The Seekers, The Nolans, Paul King etc etc

Happy to share the images if they interest you... happy days.. or was it happy daze!

mike

Just appeared on Aircheck downloads.com - Ray Stuart

http://www.aircheckdownloads.com/hallam_RayStuart_060282.mp3

Radio Hallam was a brilliant station and I was an avid listener for years. As a mechanic I worked on Kelly Temples Mercedes convertible, he gave me a tip of rubbish promotional LP's. My favorite had to be Martin Kelner who did a late night show 10pm or so. Very none PC and sometimes made my jaw ache through laughing. Remember his comments on having found a new way to masticate? Brill posts by the way, I'm enjoying reading them all.

RADIO HALLAM WAS JUST AWESOME!!!! I moved to Sheffield in Sept 1975 and it was the very first ILR station IU had ever heard. I thought it blew Radio One into the weeds.

I was a prolific recorder of the stations output on VHF, and as such, recorded literally HUNDREDS of hours of program output from 1975 to about 1981. I still have about 50% of all my original master recordings, spread across reel to reel tape and on cassettes. Most are close to broadcast quality as I used quality tape decks and avoided 'department store' brands of cassettes.

My archive, just checking my archive, includes COMPLETE shows, no edits for news and commercials, just the FULL MONTY of output.

One of my treasured recordings is the 1977 8 hour radio show presented by Keith Skues and Ray Stuart, THE RADIO HALLAM MARATHON ALL TIME HOT 100, when the all time audience fave records were played, together with old station interviews with the artists where available, etc. I have the COMPLETE show covering six stereo cassettes!

Have many full shows by Keith Skues, Ray Stuart, Roger M, Cindy kent, Bill Crozier, Kelly Temple (mostly the countdown shows every week recorded in full for about 5 years)

Good times.

RADIO HALLAM WAS JUST AWESOME!!!! I moved to Sheffield in Sept 1975 and it was the very first ILR station IU had ever heard. I thought it blew Radio One into the weeds.

I was a prolific recorder of the stations output on VHF, and as such, recorded literally HUNDREDS of hours of program output from 1975 to about 1981. I still have about 50% of all my original master recordings, spread across reel to reel tape and on cassettes. Most are close to broadcast quality as I used quality tape decks and avoided 'department store' brands of cassettes.

My archive, just checking my archive, includes COMPLETE shows, no edits for news and commercials, just the FULL MONTY of output.

One of my treasured recordings is the 1977 8 hour radio show presented by Keith Skues and Ray Stuart, THE RADIO HALLAM MARATHON ALL TIME HOT 100, when the all time audience fave records were played, together with old station interviews with the artists where available, etc. I have the COMPLETE show covering six stereo cassettes!

Have many full shows by Keith Skues, Ray Stuart, Roger M, Cindy kent, Bill Crozier, Kelly Temple (mostly the countdown shows every week recorded in full for about 5 years)

Good times.

Still remember the top 100.I think Queen was no 1 & 10CC no.2.

...which begs the question - does anyone know whatever happened to Kelly Temple !?

i think he left Hallam for London , and he got a presenting programme on TV for a short while , but after that nothing ?????

According to his LinkedIn page:

Mr Kelly Temple is a Consultant/compere at Various ad agencies & direct clients.

Mystery Solved lol

01992af.jpg

Here's Kelly Temple doing his Job as Top 40 presenter back in 1978.

DELETED VIDEO

Unfortunately the record companies, who were getting paid by YouTube everytime somebody watched the video, decided that nobody should listen to the video. So the audio was totally removed. As a result I had to delete the video.

Good times.

Beverly Chubb did a show sometime in late '78 which was a live gig by Gordon Giltrap at the Uni. Would love a copy of that if you by any chance have it.

"Radio Hallam, here on 194,

Words and music

Who could ask for more,

Daytime night-time

Any time at all

Radio Hallam"

So went the jingle.

"Radio Hallam, here on 194,

Words and music

Who could ask for more,

Daytime night-time

Any time at all

Radio Hallam"

So went the jingle.

I think that might have been based on a single by somebody. A couple of them were. Often the records didn't make the chart, but sometimes they did. For example they got Barbra Dickson to record a version of her hit "Answer Me". That went: "Radio Hallam Shows 194 is where the muisc goes Sheffield sound bringing so much more on Hallam Radio".

None hits included Cold Spring Harbour - Every Mother's Son. Which went: "Every Mother's Son knows Radio Hallam's number one on 194 radio". 

Plus Rainbow Cottage - It's a Real Nice Way To Spend A Day - " It's a real nice way to spend your day having fun the Radio Hallam way.. Yes it's a real nice way to spend your day.... "

As you can see from the video below Hallam weren't the only station to use it.

There's another one based on someone's failed song which went: "Sheffield's own Radio Hallam we belong to you keep your radio tuned to 194 that's all you have to do". It was done in a high pitched voice too, but I don't know which song it was based on yet.