Radio Hallam

Sheffield History

Oh boy this really brings back memories. I was glued to Hallam all the time from it first going on air until I left Sheffield for the first time in 1980.

Even had (until a recent move to the US) some old clips of Hallam on the end of old cassette tapes as fillers (Martin Kellner and also Beverly Chubb the night of the Gordon Giltrap gig from the University c. 1978/9). Great station, still miss Mike Rouse blowing up a record every Saturday (remember him giving the treatment to Sara Brightman's "I Lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper") - class!

Also remember Colin Slade's Rock Show and meeting David Coverdale (and others at The Hartshead) after a Hallam broadcast at the time that Whitesnakes's first EP came out (summer 1978) and embarassing myself when Coverdale bought a round of drinks and I asked for a Snakebite (it was genuinely what I drank at the time!).

Oh happy, happy days!

Radio Hallam,

Tune to us,

Cos' we're right here

24 hours a day!

If it's possible to get any of those old shows on CD would love to have them, willing ot pay all costs, postage etc.

Remember some other guy called Roger Kirk doing Night Owls might have been before James H Reeve, but would say around 1991-92. There used to be a regular mad woman called Margaret that would always phone in every night causing mayhem and Roger Kirk was always pulling the plug on her.

"Margaret" from Leeds she was and very funny too!!! :)

Can anyone put names to all of faces - I know quite a few, but not all. Cheers. :)

Remember most of 'em.Wonder whether Roger Moffatt managed to get back up from that position....

Went on his show in '76 and on Kelly Temple's in '78 as I wanted to be a DJ.Gave it up years ago but I've forgotten more than today's 'DJ's will ever know.

I have read this thread with great interest, having left Sheffield in 1969, however, I seem to remember there was a local radio station on Westbourne Road in the late sixties which I assumed was Radio Hallam.

A friend and I went to see Tyrannosaurus Rex (they had just released stars on their brow album), accompanied by Liverpool Scene and Roger McGough, hosted by John Peel at the Memorial Hall, this would be in 1968. We went back stage afterwards, all very informal in those days, had a great chat with John Peel, who was the most engaging person ever and drooled over Marc Bolan who was accompanied by his wife on the tour. However, I was more interested in the local radio reporter (Hallam?) and chatted him up, as we used to say in those days, to get my chums who had a local band, The Pharmaceutical Earth Movement, on a radio slot. He agreed to this and they duly recorded some stuff. I can´t remember the name of this reporter but he phoned me a couple of weeks later to invite me up to listen to the edited stuff for the programme, we lived on Westbourne Road at that time, so it was only about 100 yards away. When I told my Mum where I was going, she said "oh yeah, come up and see my etchings..... " and I was grounded.

Your thread says Radio Hallam started in 1974, so am I dreaming all the above???

Your thread says Radio Hallam started in 1974, so am I dreaming all the above???

I think the Westbourne Road studios were the BBC Radio Sheffield studios rather than Radio Hallam

The BBC started broadcasting local radio stations on the VHF / FM band from the mid 1960's, about the same time as the pirate stations were shut down and the BBC reorganised its national broadcasting to include the new "Radio 1" which brought many ex pirate DJ's into their realm. That was in 1967.

I am fairly convinced that Westbourne Road and the years you give, late 1960's fix this as being BBC Radio Sheffield rather than Hallam.

Radio Hallam did start in 1974, can't remember the exact date but some time in the late summer I think as I had a very long summer holiday that year, waiting for A level results and then going away to University for the first time in October.

I can remember listening to Radio Hallam on its first day of broadcasting. While playing a record someone tripped over some wires which cut the power and the station went off air for several hours having only been on air for an hour or two anyway.

Guest DaveNightingale

Just to bump this up again...

I'm wondering if anybody has access to the 1980 Hallamland and 1982 follow up package of jingles recorded by the Sue Manning Music Company in HQ/Studio Quality,either from the masters or studio carts.

The reason is simple. My father worked there from 1978 to 1986 and would love to hear them again in great quality. Also,I am good friends with an ex-Hallam jock who is trying to create an archive of classic British ILR jingles (he has already saved masters for a number of stations such as Trent and Radio Tees) who would love to ensure that a high quality copy is available to be referenced for future generations.He can also assist in the transferral from reel or cart,and has experience of digital remastering,having undertaken such a role for one of the BBC Network stations that celebrated it's 40th Anniversary in 2007 and would be happy to offer any assistance if needed.

Please also note that I would be happy also to supply any digital materials such as CDR's,DVD-R, or external hard disc storage should it be required at no cost to yourself.

If you can help in anyway,please private message me and I would only be too happy to contact you directly.

I have read this thread with great interest, having left Sheffield in 1969, however, I seem to remember there was a local radio station on Westbourne Road in the late sixties which I assumed was Radio Hallam.

A friend and I went to see Tyrannosaurus Rex (they had just released stars on their brow album), accompanied by Liverpool Scene and Roger McGough, hosted by John Peel at the Memorial Hall, this would be in 1968. We went back stage afterwards, all very informal in those days, had a great chat with John Peel, who was the most engaging person ever and drooled over Marc Bolan who was accompanied by his wife on the tour. However, I was more interested in the local radio reporter (Hallam?) and chatted him up, as we used to say in those days, to get my chums who had a local band, The Pharmaceutical Earth Movement, on a radio slot. He agreed to this and they duly recorded some stuff. I can´t remember the name of this reporter but he phoned me a couple of weeks later to invite me up to listen to the edited stuff for the programme, we lived on Westbourne Road at that time, so it was only about 100 yards away. When I told my Mum where I was going, she said "oh yeah, come up and see my etchings..... " and I was grounded.

Definitely BBC Radio Sheffield. I was involved with Northern Radio (the Hospital radio station) from 1977-80 and we went down there occasionally to record jingles!

Definitely BBC Radio Sheffield. I was involved with Northern Radio (the Hospital radio station) from 1977-80 and we went down there occasionally to record jingles!

Thanks Leon2z and welcome to Sheffield History.

I sort of knew that Westbourne Road was Radio Sheffield and not Hallam but just had a slight doubt.

Radio Sheffield, run by the BBC is still going strong

But what happened to Radio Hallam?

I seem to remember in the 1980's stations like GOLD or CLASSIC GOLD, or the same 2 names followed by FM (frequency Modulation) appeared on the Hallam frequencies.

Did Hallam just change its name or were these different stations entirely that had taken over?

Anyone know?

Thanks Leon2z and welcome to Sheffield History.

I sort of knew that Westbourne Road was Radio Sheffield and not Hallam but just had a slight doubt.

Radio Sheffield, run by the BBC is still going strong

But what happened to Radio Hallam?

I seem to remember in the 1980's stations like GOLD or CLASSIC GOLD, or the same 2 names followed by FM (frequency Modulation) appeared on the Hallam frequencies.

Did Hallam just change its name or were these different stations entirely that had taken over?

Anyone know?

Radio Hallam is still broadcasting Dave.

I was listening to it in the van today.

(Mind you - the wireless in my van is pretty old. he he )

Hallam's still the, but I think it is now part of a regional alliance which shares programmes later at night. Still tune to it whenever I get to Sheffield!

Hallam's still the, but I think it is now part of a regional alliance which shares programmes later at night. Still tune to it whenever I get to Sheffield!

Still broadcasting!

Not heard it for ages.

What frequency (ies) can I pick it up on.?

I seem to remember it used to have a Medium Wave AM frequency and a VHF / FM frequency, but with the movement of stations away from the MW band, especially local stations I suppose it will just be on FM now.

Still broadcasting!

Not heard it for ages.

What frequency (ies) can I pick it up on.?

I seem to remember it used to have a Medium Wave AM frequency and a VHF / FM frequency, but with the movement of stations away from the MW band, especially local stations I suppose it will just be on FM now.

Not certain, I think it's somewhere around 95 -96 on FM, but if you google the station, they'll have the wavelength. I know it's definitely still on air I listened to it on the internet just the other day and I now live in the Rocky Mountains! lol

Radio Hallam is still broadcasting Dave.

I was listening to it in the van today.

(Mind you - the wireless in my van is pretty old. he he )

Well if Hallam IS still broascasting it sort of begs the question as to WHY this topic on Radio Hallam is in a section of the site called

SHEFFIELD PLACES - NOW GONE

:unsure:

Well if Hallam IS still broascasting it sort of begs the question as to WHY this topic on Radio Hallam is in a section of the site called

SHEFFIELD PLACES - NOW GONE

:unsure:

....two radio stations (or alias's!) ... Radio Hallam , from '74 , the original located at Hartshead ,Sheffield CC, ,,, then from the early 90's to present , relocated to Herries Rd and renamed Hallam FM - also with Magic FM in the same building , thats why they often merged for the Christmas Charity Auctions ect , mainly with Dave Kilner, who often filled in on both stations.

....suppose it all depends on how far your memories go back , as to the era of a DJ , record , memory ect ? ;-)

My favourite shows were Rousy's Saturday and The Top 40 on Sunday.

Mike Rouse had a special sections where he would blow up a record somebody didn't like. I remember once he blew up Terry Wogan's floral dance. However the best segment was the phazer. I've got recordings of some of them. They started at 12 noon. The jingle (using war of the world's music) said "Twelve noon on Radio Hallam and on Rouse's Saturday the phazer strikes again!"

The record played and it had been put through an effect, the same thing that happens on the Small Faces record Itchycoo Park, where the music and voice sound funny. It was great for stereo effects B)

The top 40 was great, it makes the current one presented on Radio One sound crap!

The presenter was Kelly Temple. The Sunday chart show first started in 1977. It began at 2pm, lasting till five. Kelly would play them 3 tracks in a row, mixing them together, Jingle first, followed by music, without him talking till the last track was drawing to a close. At the start of the show a jingle would say his name and Kelly would say "I'ts two O'Clock on a Sunday and it's time for the brand new top 40" The show jingles would then play. These were changed every so often, then Kelly over the still playing jingle, now without voices, would say the chart satistics, like how many new entries etc. That done he would say "Standby to countdown. First you're going to hear....." At the end of the first 3 he would do a time check, before telling you what he had just played. I'll always remember him often saying "ten minutes after two" as the tracks were often about 3 minutes long. Later on they used jingles for new entry, which used the effect of an arrow hitting a target and vibrating! Going Down, a whistling sound for the record taking the biggest drop. A cash till sound for the highest climber. And of course the Number One Jingle!

I just loved the jingles there was "Radio Hallam Countdown, Countdown, Countdown" till it faded away.... The Apollo rocket launch one "Five Four Three Two One Lift Off we have a lift off" .

When Kelly left in the 80's, Shaughan Ferguson took over (the same one who presented folk). His main work however seems to have been the voice overs for all those adverts. I always got the impression that many of the top 40 presenters didn't like doing the show. I reckon it was because they couldn't pick what they liked to play, I think Shaughan being one! But Ferguson was a very funny man and liked to tell jokes. He once left his mike open when telling the news presenter a rude joke, but somebody noticed and I never heard the conclusion <_<

I remember he played Gladys Knight, with the words "a man walks into the pub and asks 'A Taste of Bitter Love'. The title of the song by Gladys he he

The other funny thing I remember was Roger Moffat doing his morning show. One day they had an outside broadcast from Hallam Towers Hotel, but Roger was in the studio playing the records, another presenter was at the Hotel. The Hotel was doing one of those Hi-Fi shows with all the makers of Audio systems there. Showing off the latest Stereo systems The presenter at the Hotel asked Roger to play something for the Hi-Fi buffs. So Roger played and old 78rpm record to the assembled multitude he he

The presenter was Kelly Temple. The Sunday chart show first started in 1977. It began at 2pm, lasting till five. Kelly would play them 3 tracks in a row, mixing them together, Jingle first, followed by music, without him talking till the last track was drawing to a close. At the start of the show a jingle would say his name and Kelly would say "I'ts two O'Clock on a Sunday and it's time for the brand new top 40" The show jingles would then play. These were changed every so often, then Kelly over the still playing jingle, now without voices, would say the chart satistics, like how many new entries etc. That done he would say "Standby to countdown. First you're going to hear....." At the end of the first 3 he would do a time check, before telling you what he had just played. I'll always remember him often saying "ten minutes after two" as the tracks were often about 3 minutes long. Later on they used jingles for new entry, which used the effect of an arrow hitting a target and vibrating! Going Down, a whistling sound for the record taking the biggest drop. A cash till sound for the highest climber. And of course the Number One Jingle!

Kelly Temple did the night show when I worked at BT, we would often wind him up, especially when he would say in his own smug way "Now we WILL have a phone in quiz" .

He could never work out why he did not receive any calls.

After about 15 minutes the Radio Hallam engineer would ring us up to test their phone lines, at that point we may let some calls through to him. If we knew the answer somehow we were always 1st .

That was in the days when it was fun at work

Kelly Temple did the night show when I worked at BT, we would often wind him up, especially when he would say in his own smug way "Now we WILL have a phone in quiz" .

He could never work out why he did not receive any calls.

After about 15 minutes the Radio Hallam engineer would ring us up to test their phone lines, at that point we may let some calls through to him. If we knew the answer somehow we were always 1st .

That was in the days when it was fun at work

Reset many a network password, including a MASSIVE Arsenal fans password to TottenhamRool and one unfortunate chaps password to

IwIsHmYnAmEWaSnTDiMiTriFeNkLeSteIn

Happy days.

No wonder I never won Radio Hallam-thingies ...

Reset many a network password, including a massive Arsenal fans password to TottenhamRool and one unfortunate chaps password to

IwIsHmYnAmEWaSnTDiMiTriFeNkLeSteIn

Happy days.

No wonder I never won Radio Hallam-thingies ...

I won loads

I won loads

Yes but I remember at the time you said most of the prizes you won were crap.

For example you would win a record and it would be one that some record promoter had left at the station in the hope of getting free air time for a "new" group he was promoting.

The new group was so bad that the station wouldn't play it and so ended up giving their demo disc away as a prize!

Some prize

Yes but I remember at the time you said most of the prizes you won were crap.

For example you would win a record and it would be one that some record promoter had left at the station in the hope of getting free air time for a "new" group he was promoting.

The new group was so bad that the station wouldn't play it and so ended up giving their demo disc away as a prize!

Some prize

Yes you are correct, won loads of prizes but they were rubbish

except I remember on one occasion, in the pile of of assorted demos and white label singles, was a white label 45 of Pink Floyd's Brick in the Wall, obviously Radio Hallam did not think it would be a hit, can't remember where that went, I did not end up with it.

In those days they could getaway with having rubbish prizes, nowadays people expect a lot more

Yes you are correct, won loads of prizes but they were rubbish

except I remember on one occasion, in the pile of of assorted demos and white label singles, was a white label 45 of Pink Floyd's Brick in the Wall, obviously Radio Hallam did not think it would be a hit, can't remember where that went, I did not end up with it.

In those days they could getaway with having rubbish prizes, nowadays people expect a lot more

Wasn't there something to do with a Whitesnake record as well which turned out to be the very worst of Whitesnake?.

You could tell the prizes were rubbish as the first prize was a record and the second prize was 2 records lol

I think the "Star Prize" was a night out in Rotherham he he

Guest transit

...which begs the question - does anyone know whatever happened to Kelly Temple !?

i think he left Hallam for London , and he got a presenting programme on TV for a short while , but after that nothing ?????

...which begs the question - does anyone know whatever happened to Kelly Temple !?

i think he left Hallam for London , and he got a presenting programme on TV for a short while , but after that nothing ?????

There's a topic on the other forum, I think the answer to where is Kelly Temple is nobody knows

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-64515.html

Guest transit

....exactly , thats why i asked - !!!!

- for such a local celeb in the mid 70-80's , it seems strange he just seemed to dissapear into thin air with no trace , which makes it all the more intriquing !????