Radio Hallam

Sheffield History

Radio Hallam.jpg

RADIO HALLAM

Does anyone remember Radio Hallam ?

The station was originally licenced by the IBA to cover the Sheffield and Rotherham areas, but coverage expanded to Doncaster and Barnsley in the mid-1980s.

The station went on air in October 1974. Keith Skues, a former presenter of BBC Radio's Saturday Clkhghhjub and Nightride, was Programme Director - a post he retained for more than ten years. Johnny Moran, formerly host of Radio 1's Scene and Heard, was breakfast presenter for more than a decade. Other early names on the station included Roger Moffat, Bill Crozier, Martin Kelner, Ray Stewart and Kelly Temple.

The studios/offices were in Hartshead at the back of the Old Blue Bell (now Cavells)

RADIO HALLAM RELATED PICTURES

post-1-1171307957.jpg

Radio Hallam - 1976 ID Card - Martin Kelner

post-1-1171307747.jpg

Pictured at Martin's leaving do from Sheffield's Radio Hallam in 1981 is colleague the late great Roger Moffat, who suggested on the morning after Elvis Presley's death that the late King of Rock 'n' Roll should be stuffed and placed in Radio Hallam reception.

post-1-1171307846.jpg

post-1-1171307891.jpg

Martin Kelner Mobbed at a Roadshow...

post-1-1171307105.jpg

taken at the radio hallam reuinion party

DJ'S/PRESENTERS

Ray Stuart

Keith Skues

Kelly Temple

Colin Slade

Johnny Moran

Beverly Chubb

Bill Crozier

Roger Moffat

Martin Kelner

Tim Finlay

TIM FINLAY

Tim joined Radio Hallam at the end of the stations 'golden' era and he used to follow Ray Stewart in the evenings. Ray would finish at 2am and Tim Finlay would carry on till 6am when Johnny Moran would take over for breakfast.

KEITH SCUES

post-1-1171307016.jpg

Keith Skues was appointed programme director of Radio Hallam (South Yorkshire) in May, 1974 and became a full board member. In 1977 he won the National Hit Pickers award and in the following two years compèred the National Radio Awards in London. By 1980 he was the longest serving programme director in Independent Radio. In June, 1987 Radio Hallam merged with two other Yorkshire radio stations - Pennine and Viking - and he was made group programme consultant.

Some information taken from - http://www.jeffcooper.co.uk/hallam/indexLander.html

skues_discs.jpg

Lillemor_MacDonald_Pic3.jpg

kelnerandmoff.jpg

00161.jpg

00162.jpg

00158.jpg

How's about Dave Kilner? He's a Radio Hallam legend isn't he?

I remember Radio Hallam was based in the City Centre when I was a kid, near the Sheffield Star building now?

It moved to just off Herries Road in the 90's? Along with Classic Gold (is that station still going? Renamed?).

Yeah - The studios/offices were in Hartshead at the back of the Old Blue Bell (now Cavells)

I remember going in there a few times.

I used to listen to Hallam all the time when I was younger.

Who can forget the ads?

Roxy's - Is that all right for yers?

Mr. Hodgekiss, Mr Hodgekiss!

The moor the merrier, the moor the moor the merrier!

Fletchers Bread - Good for you, good for me. Don't wait till tomorrow better fetch a Fletchers loaf!

I'd forgotten about the moor the merrier one !!

What about 'cantors.... turn your house into a home' !!

Worked both with Johnny Moran ( Absolute Great Guy) and Kelly temple (ego only for himself and women) when I worked at samantha's. One night Radio Hallam had a party at sam's and it was raided by the police from Woodseats nick. Saw them all getting on a coach from the staion earlier on. I think Ray stuart was arrested and some others. Don't remember what for.

Guest coffee cup

I remember listening to Martin Kelner's late night show when I was at School.

I sometimes listen to his show on radio Shefffield now, .again it is a late night show. !

Brilliant but sometimes it would not suite the P C Brigade, it is worth a listen very funny, plus he has a nice night time voice, -- very soothing !

And as far as Fletchers Bread was concerned, my mum used to call it sliced muck !!

so we never fetched a fletchers loaf. I wonder if we missed out ?

James H Reeve was a legend to me (circa 92) with his late night phone-in Night Owls. It was nothing short of hilarious! You could talk about anything you liked which invited many crazy callers. Me and my friends loved the way he was sarcastic and he would often cut people off in their prime-the man didn't give two square ones!

Guest mega_monty

James H Reeve was a legend to me (circa 92) with his late night phone-in Night Owls. It was nothing short of hilarious! You could talk about anything you liked which invited many crazy callers. Me and my friends loved the way he was sarcastic and he would often cut people off in their prime-the man didn't give two square ones!

Remember some other guy called Roger Kirk doing Night Owls might have been before James H Reeve, but would say around 1991-92. There used to be a regular mad woman called Margaret that would always phone in every night causing mayhem and Roger Kirk was always pulling the plug on her.

Guest mega_monty

I used to listen to Hallam all the time when I was younger.

Who can forget the ads?

Tip toe down to Towngate, down to Towngate...... motors ...... Tip toe down to Towngate today

Bramalls Gold Room....... Herries Road South ...... Hillsborough

With TC Harrison theres no Comparison.....

And not forgetting in later years those awful Coldseal (old macdonald's farm) Adverts

Guest coffee cup

For my sins I actually sang "tiptoe down to town gate motors, as I read it.

Please admin can we have more emotions like an embarrassed, hitting head against brick wall, or even the mad one where the eyes pop out ?

No - not the first one

What year and what was it ?

It was a Ford Cortina mkIII estate... looked very smart in black with the orange/red details. The only time I ever saw a mkIII Cortina looking smart, having said that the Hallam 194 black, red & orange looks very smart even all these years later.

Guest mega_monty

I think Radio Hallam used to have a black Bedford CF van with a high roof that had the round Radio Hallam badge stuck to the front, they must have used it for roadshows etc. Recall seeing it trundling around Sheffield years after Radio Hallam had disposed of it as you could see where the round Radio Hallam badge had been peeled off.

Guest tsavo

RADIO HALLAM

The station went on air in October 1974. Keith Skues, a former presenter of BBC Radio's Saturday Club and Nightride, was Programme Director - a post he retained for more than ten years.

I was present at the start of the very first broadcast- with an early version of a portable video camera and recorder. (and no, before you ask, I no longer have the recording.)

Kieth Skues was determined that the first output from the new station should be absolutely perfect and had the opening announcement and opening music pre-recorded on reel to reel audio tape. Sods Law struck when the first 10 seconds went out at half speed. His face was a picture as could be expected after all that careful planning! His language could best be described as "choice".

The other key person at Radio Hallam who never seems to get a mention, but I'm sure we all remember (well us wearing anoraks ;) ) Derek Connelly (sp)

Guest tsavo

The other key person at Radio Hallam who never seems to get a mention, but I'm sure we all remember (well us wearing anoraks ;) ) Derek Connelly (sp)

Haven't seen Gerry Kersey's name mentioned yet....

Guest mega_monty

Haven't seen Gerry Kersey's name mentioned yet....

Didn't he do a request show on sunday dinner time / afternoon, I was never too keen on his show thought he was quite boring

Guest tsavo

Radio Hallam played a charity football match against Radio Sheffield at the football pitch in Middlewood Hospital in 1974. By some weird fluke, Roger Moffat scored a goal and insisted of doing a replay in 'slow motion' for those who missed it. In true Moffett style he missed the net on the replay.

(He looked like Spike Milligan's drawing of 'Bluebottle' in the Goon Show books.)

They raised a goodly sum for the patients Social Club.

Guest mega_monty

Heres some Radio Hallam Vehicles, sadly I dont have a picture of a Hallam car or the CF Van

Hallam's mobile outside broadcast and recording unit

mobile outside broadcast and recording unit interior

Range Rover radio car complete with Hallam's swanky stripes lol

Guest mega_monty

Did anyone venture to Radio Hallam's studio's in Hartshead, well here's their rather bright reception

Guest mega_monty

Who remembers every Christmas Radio Hallam running "Money Mountain" raising monies for local charities.

Guest mega_monty

Heres some Hallam people that may jog a few memories

Johnny Moran

Gerry Kersey

Dean Pepall & Sarah Bridger

Dave Kilner & Richard Tandy

Freddie Allen & Beverley Chubb

Jim Greensmith & Colin Slade

Alan Biggs presenter of Saturday Afternoon "Sportacular"

Ray Stuart & Roger Brooks

Keith Skues Programme Director

Derrick Connolly Chief Engineer