Radio Hallam

Sheffield History

and what about "Ricky Redgate"

Childrens Champion - Super Saver.

He must be a good age now...........

Hi Geoff,

I used to work at Radio Hallam when it was based in Hartshead from 1981 to 1992. I remember the 'Ricky Redgate' ads with the Batman backing track. I still have those ads on a tape reel and more recently transferred them onto Mini Disc and CD.

Roger and Martin were great friends and always had a laugh or two 'On Air'.

Roger first did the 'Make Way For Moffat' show from 9am till Midday Mon-Fri and then latterly 10am till 12.55.

Guest Elephant1972

does anyone remember an ad which said 'Look for the flying K' or something along those lines, i was only about 4 at the time but i remember asking a girl at school called Kay if she was the flying K..............and said no :-( lol

I do remember the Flying K. I think that was funny when you went up to the girl at school and asked if she is the Flying K.

Guest Elephant1972

Hi, yes the flying K ad was for Kirkby Central a car dealer of its time. you would have heard that commercial on Radio Hallam in the 70's usually voiced over by Mike Rouse and infact it was his voice that quoted at the beginning and end of the ad, "Look for the flying K".

I used to work at Radio Hallam and have many of the commercials from the 70's and 80's including that one!

I used to operate (Studio A) equipment on Outside Broadcasts playing the music/ads/jingles and controlling talkback systems to the O/B presenters (Continuity). Also continuity for programmes which had been pre-recorded including Celebration Rock/Folkus and various other shows. Thanks must go to Bridget Whittaker who controlled sound equipment in Studio B where all the pre-recorded shows were made in the first place.

Who was the presenter of Celebration rock/ I remember it was on a Friday evening but cannot for my life remember the presenter's name. I remember Folkus was presented by someone called Sean Ferguson If I remember correctly.

I know a lot of people request this but if there any of you out there who have old Hallam shows from the 70s and 80s and willing to copy them to CD I would be one of the first who would want copies. i would love some old shows and jingles.

Who was the presenter of Celebration rock/ I remember it was on a Friday evening but cannot for my life remember the presenter's name. I remember Folkus was presented by someone called Sean Ferguson If I remember correctly.

I think the name of the celebration rock presenter was Tony Jasper, but I could be mistaken.

(Time takes it's toll you know)

I think the name of the celebration rock presenter was Tony Jasper, but I could be mistaken.

(Time takes it's toll you know)

Yes Tony Jasper was the presenter of Celebration Rock....broadcast on a Friday night in the late 70's at 11pm while midnight and in the 80's moved to the earlier slot of 9pm. Tony used to travel up from London once a month and record a block of Celebration Rock programmes on a 'Theme' and I used to play them in on a Friday night part of my continuity shift. I have many Celebration Rock shows in their entirity on CD from the early 80's which I kept as souvenirs when the show ended.

Folkus was presented by Sean Ferguson also on a Friday night at 8pm in the late 70's. He used to follow Jonathan Cramer's 'Grapevine' show.

Amanda Charlesworth presented the Folkus show in the early to mid 80's at 8pm, followed by Celebration Rock at 9pm.

Hope you find this helpful.

Guest DaveNightingale

Would love to hear from anybody who's got any old shows and in particular good quality dubs of the jingles Hallam used in the late 70's and early 80's. I've got plenty to share back as well.

Both myself and a friend who's in the business are in the belief that this stuff should be archived in a digital format for future reference,and not dumped and forgotten about,as most of the original Hallam archive was. We'll even help you out to do so,and return everything to you in the format that you wish plus of course the originals,once it was done

Feel free to PM me if you need any further information or want to talk more - I'd love to hear from anybody who may have worked at Hallam (you might remember John,my dad,on Sportacular doing the non-league football between 78 and 85) or liked to "Have a Radio Station As A Friend...." .

Ray Stuart had a small terrace house which I think was on (or near) Thirlwell Road at Heeley.

He bought a bed from our shop early 70's and I went to deliver it. The bed base wouldn't go up the stairs so we took the sash window out and began pulling it up a ladder and through the window. (Completely normal at the time) I was at the top, pulling the rope, sitting on the windowsill with my feet braced on the ladder. My mate was part way up pushing.

We got it to the top and the ladder slipped. Down went the ladder, the bed base and me. I was ambulanced to hospital with concussion and was lucky not to be seriously injured.

Ray wasn't so lucky. The end of the ladder went through his front room window. :o

Ray Stuart had a small terrace house which I think was on (or near) Thirlwell Road at Heeley.

He bought a bed from our shop early 70's and I went to deliver it. The bed base wouldn't go up the stairs so we took the sash window out and began pulling it up a ladder and through the window. (Completely normal at the time) I was at the top, pulling the rope, sitting on the windowsill with my feet braced on the ladder. My mate was part way up pushing.

We got it to the top and the ladder slipped. Down went the ladder, the bed base and me. I was ambulanced to hospital with concussion and was lucky not to be seriously injured.

Ray wasn't so lucky. The end of the ladder went through his front room window. :o

Ray Stuart was a great friend of mine..worked with him on his Roundabout shows and outside broadcasts...i used to be in studio A playing the music in (continuity)...Used to go and eat at his place when he was out at Crosspool with his wife Shirley. had some great times and also some of his shows on reel which I put onto CD format some years ago. Radio Hallam was a great station to work for and I feel very priveliged to have been a member of staff!

Would love to hear from anybody who's got any old shows and in particular good quality dubs of the jingles Hallam used in the late 70's and early 80's. I've got plenty to share back as well.

Both myself and a friend who's in the business are in the belief that this stuff should be archived in a digital format for future reference,and not dumped and forgotten about,as most of the original Hallam archive was. We'll even help you out to do so,and return everything to you in the format that you wish plus of course the originals,once it was done

Feel free to PM me if you need any further information or want to talk more - I'd love to hear from anybody who may have worked at Hallam (you might remember John,my dad,on Sportacular doing the non-league football between 78 and 85) or liked to "Have a Radio Station As A Friend...." .

Hi Dave...

I have most of the Radio Hallams Jingles. Worked there from when i left school and was a Jingle anorak then...think i still am!

But i got mine from the original cartridges. I used to record them onto reel at night in Studio B.

Aswell as the Station Idents I got the presenters personalised cuts aswell.

Latterly I have recorded them onto CD/Mini Disc Formats all cued and in the Highest Quality possible so I wouldnt need you to do anything more to them

Guest DaveNightingale

Hi Dave...

I have most of the Radio Hallams Jingles. Worked there from when i left school and was a Jingle anorak then...think i still am!

But i got mine from the original cartridges. I used to record them onto reel at night in Studio B.

Aswell as the Station Idents I got the presenters personalised cuts aswell.

Latterly I have recorded them onto CD/Mini Disc Formats all cued and in the Highest Quality possible so I wouldnt need you to do anything more to them

Thanks for getting back in touch!

Jonny,you wouldn't be able to copy any of them onto a CD for me,if possible?Especially the full Sue Manning packages from 1980 (Hallamland) and 1982 (Gerard Kenny & Kiki Dee "If It Sounds Good It's Hallam") which are my own personal jingle holy grail,as they were the great Hallam packages I grew up with when my dad worked there and the one's missing from my collection :)

I'd meet the cost of CD's etc and post if thats a possibility.Drop me a PM and I'll sort you out with my details.

If you could,you'd make an old jingle anorak very happy! And remember,if it sounds good,it's Hallam!! :)

Guest Elephant1972

I was a big fan of Hallam as a Kid and was glued to it all the time. It was about late 1978 when I started to get in to it in a bi way. I was only 6 then. Here arfe a few memories.

johny Moran Breakfast show.

Roger Moffit Late mornings and then Gerry Kersey when Roger left.

Keith Skues Lunchtimes.

Ray Stuart Afternoons.

Hallam Rock with Colin Slade on a Monday evening 8-10PM

Martin Kelner Late Show.

Maggie Mash through the night also Alan West was there as well.

Colin Slade Weekend Breakfast Show

Also remember Roger Brookes doing Hallam Reports on a Sunday Evening. I could gp on.

Mke Rouse Saturday Lunchtime

Amands Charlesworth Sunday Late Show

Beverly Chubb Country Wednesday

Great Revived 45 show Kelly Temple then Freddie Allan then Howard Pressman.

Brian Westlake, I think used to be on in the middle of the night.

Graham Blinco was on the early show Monday mornings 2-6

Bill Crozier request shown then Gerry Kersey

Music of the masters classical music show Sunday evenings

Hallam Forum with Roger Brookes

Kelly Temple Sunday Mornings with Kelly's Eye

Tony Jasper Celebration Rock Friday evenings

Michael Lindsey Saturday Evenings

Tin Finley Through the night then Evenings on Yorkshire Radio Netqork

Dave Kilner I think was on in the night at first but remember him on the early evenings before taking over Breakfast from Johny Moran.

Freddie Allen on The Late Show

News Readers i remember

jim Greensmith

Lorain Harris or it might have been Elain Harris

Marion Whisby

Nick Atkins I think he did some sport as well

Pat Mccarthy

Damian Johson

Everard Davey

Ian Rufus used to do Newscene in the 70s

Mathew Flintoft

Jess Naiden

Alma Cooper

I have a lot of happy memoried of Radio Hallam. It was the cream of sheffield. I feel since the mid 80s it started to go down hill once the Yorkshire Radio Network was formed. I also remember the days there would be a news reader 24 hours a day at Hallam till they started taking the IRN News feed from London.

I have many happy memories.

Guest bunniesmum

Hi there jonny, you said you wanted to hear from anyone that had worked at Hallam, well, here I am. I think from the sound of things, I worked there before you, as many of the things you are speaking about, were after I was there. I worked on reception/switchboard, and help in the offices. You are right, it was a wonderful place to work at, I, too have many happy memories of the people that I worked with there, and also, have many a funny story of the things that happened there. I believe on one of the pages, colin slade has written an answer to someones querey, can`t wait to contact him!

Hope to hear from you, do you still see Brid?

Guest bunniesmum

The van was also the first radio car with UHF transmitters, a 10m Hilo pump up mast and a reinforced roof that could be used for commentaries

Well Well, what a surprise! Derrick, I rember you well, I think you`ll have to think a little about who I am, but, I know you`ll remember me. I worked on reception`switchboard with Bernie, I taught Jane how to work the switch and work reception etc.; My name is Cathy, I was 17 at the time, and were going back to 1975/76/77, I hope you are well, and do you see anything of Brid?, what are you doing now?, hope to have a reply from you, think hard Im sure you`l recall me.

As a boy I wanted to become a DJ (I DJ'd for a few years after I left school) and in the summer of '76 I went on the Roger Moffatt show and dedicated Dr Hook's A Little Bit More to my mum.A couple of years later I was on the Kelly Temple show on a Saturday morning.I don't know how I got to appear on these shows but would love to hear a recording of them.Hallam was a great station in those days but I can't stand it now.

...and what I wouldn't give for a copy of said book ,plus the one that came out about 5 years later.

They're like golddust but I'd pay a small fortune to get hold of them both...

This one Dave?

Front Cover

Back Cover

I wonder who helped Bill Crozier to get onto the top? he he

I've got a magazine/brochure that Hallam distributed when its broadcast area was extended to cover Doncaster and Barnsley in the late 70s/early 80s. I can also remember seeing the mobile studio at Battle of Britain Day at RAF Finningley in about 1978, with Ray Stewart doing his show - I need to find those things and scan them.

I begged my Mum and Dad to take me to the studios in Hartshead when I was about 12 and we got into reception but at the time they couldn't find anyone to give us a tour. I think Tom Baker might have been in the studios that afternoon as well, but we came out with badges and other bits and bobs.

Keith Skues is on BBC Norfolk these days and did a lightly deranged show on Friday nights in the early part of this decade - I can remember hearing it as it was driving back and forth between Bradford and London for a while and he could be heard along most of the length of the A1 because the show went out on the Eastern network. The show was a combination of rambling anecdotage and eccentric phone calls from across the east, and was as such really enjoyable - the sort of thing that Terry Wogan does nationally for considerably more money.

For a "Blast from the Past" ;-)

Try the link below

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/frank21c.aspx

The page was created by Frank Carpenter who had a couple of shows on Hallam.

I was lucky enough to attend Coventry City's hospitality "Legends" day when the Owls played there a couple of weeks ago. The emcee that day was none other than Stuart Linell who used to do the sports programmes in Hallams early days. He was telling us that he still had a soft spot for the city and happy memories of Radio Hallam.

I rarely listened to any other station during my time in Sheffield from 79 to 83. Used to love Martin Kelner and went to one of his gigs at the 'Wap'. He was giving away records and I got a copy of Reg Mundy - Be My Squeeze. A foul record! I remember when he was due to leave the station, me and Jacko, pissed up, after a sesh around the High Street pubs started bellowing up at the Hartshead Studio as he was boadcasting, imploring him not to leave.

Couldn't stand Kelly Temple, but remember his big slimy HELLO!

Other memories: being violently woken up on many a morning by that Radio Hallam Stab, Mike Rouse singing a strange song about Barrel Bags (Barrel bags, barrel bags, big black barrel bags), The Dodsworth Doppelganger, Finding a job for you, JOBFINDER! The advert for the Australian burger joint on Hartley Precinct called 'Aussies' about feeling like a dead dingo (didn't last long couldn't compete with Yankees or Sams), Mr Hodgekiss! Freddie J. Allan.........makes you feel good all over. Fletchers, South Yourkshire Caravans, Richard Wragg...................

A really great time to have lived in the great city of Sheffield.

Shall try and dig out my old tapes to digitise.

Here is an MP3 of the Martin Kelner Late Show from Monday 29 June 1981. I was living in the YMCA at the time and the guy that Martin was interviewing was an American called Dave Orlford who was visiting from the states and also staying at the YM. I think he had something to do with the YMCA organisation.

http://www.hosts-r-us.net/Supermans_Brother.mp3

Guest Elephant1972

Here is an MP3 of the Martin Kelner Late Show from Monday 29 June 1981. I was living in the YMCA at the time and the guy that Martin was interviewing was an American called Dave Orlford who was visiting from the states and also staying at the YM. I think he had something to do with the YMCA organisation.

http://www.hosts-r-us.net/Supermans_Brother.mp3

Great to hear this. I would like to hear more clips like this. So priceless.

Guest Elephant1972

I thought you may be interested in this link below. i found this while surfing aroune.

http://www.jinglemad.com/e107_files/public/1235392169_10111_FT0_radio_hallam.mp3

I thought you may be interested in this link below. i found this while surfing aroune.

http://www.jinglemad.com/e107_files/public/1235392169_10111_FT0_radio_hallam.mp3

Great stuff! Thanks a lot!