Radio Hallam

Sheffield History

Guest Derrick Connolly

Worked both with Johnny Moran ( Absolute Great Guy) and Kelly temple (ego only for himself and women) when I worked at samantha's. One night Radio Hallam had a party at sam's and it was raided by the police from Woodseats nick. Saw them all getting on a coach from the staion earlier on. I think Ray stuart was arrested and some others. Don't remember what for.

I was there so i won't say what the raid was for but there where some senior police officers inside, lawyers, judges etc, Radio Hallam, Radio Sheffield, The Star plus reporters from national newspapers all having a good time.

I do remember in the next day's news Radio Hallam saying it was a Radio Sheffield event, Radio Sheffield saying it was the Star and The Star saying it was Radio Hallam's.

What a way to confuse the public.

Guest Derrick Connolly

I remember the Sheffield Show many times in the 1980s and each year there seemed to be a battle about which radio station had the bigger stage, Hallam or BBC Radio Sheffield

There was also a battle over the biggest PA system, I ended up building the stage over the base bins, no one from Radio Sheffield etc caught onto why we were so loud

Guest coolmo

does anyone remember an ad which said 'Look for the flying K' or something along those lines, i was only about 4 at the time but i remember asking a girl at school called Kay if she was the flying K..............and said no :-( lol

The 1st Radio Hallam car sticker was a piece of stiff paper, approx 14" long and gummed on the ends so that you could stick it in your back window

The 2nd was plastic & self adhesive and was a Bu**er to get out if you'd put it in cock eyed.

This was a leaflet explaining all about the "new" Radio station that was to come

A Flyer

Another scan from the Radio Annual

does anyone remember an ad which said 'Look for the flying K' or something along those lines, i was only about 4 at the time but i remember asking a girl at school called Kay if she was the flying K..............and said no :-( lol

Hi, yes the flying K ad was for Kirkby Central a car dealer of its time. you would have heard that commercial on Radio Hallam in the 70's usually voiced over by Mike Rouse and infact it was his voice that quoted at the beginning and end of the ad, "Look for the flying K".

I used to work at Radio Hallam and have many of the commercials from the 70's and 80's including that one!

I used to operate (Studio A) equipment on Outside Broadcasts playing the music/ads/jingles and controlling talkback systems to the O/B presenters (Continuity). Also continuity for programmes which had been pre-recorded including Celebration Rock/Folkus and various other shows. Thanks must go to Bridget Whittaker who controlled sound equipment in Studio B where all the pre-recorded shows were made in the first place.

Hi, yes the flying K ad was for Kirkby Central a car dealer of its time. you would have heard that commercial on Radio Hallam in the 70's usually voiced over by Mike Rouse and infact it was his voice that quoted at the beginning and end of the ad, "Look for the flying K".

I used to work at Radio Hallam and have many of the commercials from the 70's and 80's including that one!

I used to operate (Studio A) equipment on Outside Broadcasts playing the music/ads/jingles and controlling talkback systems to the O/B presenters (Continuity). Also continuity for programmes which had been pre-recorded including Celebration Rock/Folkus and various other shows. Thanks must go to Bridget Whittaker who controlled sound equipment in Studio B where all the pre-recorded shows were made in the first place.

Jonny, If you have any of the ads as mp3's, any chance that you could post some on here? I'm sure we'd all love to hear them again.

Radio Hallam

Any one remember Richard Searlings Soul Source, a brilliant show by a well now Northern Soul DJ, I still listen to the tape now, wish I could get it copied to a CD.

Mark

Yes Mark Richard Searling took over from Kelly Temple with the soul show. was broadcast every saturday 18.00 after the Sportacular programme. Ran for two hours in comparison to the 1 hour slot Kelly used to have.

I occasionally did the continuity for Richard's show including the Soul 2 hour Special he did which was broadcast the last Saturday in August 1983. I do have the complete 2 hour show on 2 CD's which I copied from the master reel to CD.

The last time I spoke to Richard he was doing some work for the Expansion record label in London which I visited in the early nineties.

Jonny

Jonny, If you have any of the ads as mp3's, any chance that you could post some on here? I'm sure we'd all love to hear them again.

Hi Mark,

I have so much archive material of Hallam's, my old boss Keith Skues cant even believe just how much I have. When i speak to him at his home in Norfolk and play things over the phone to him the memories flood back.

I must be the only person with all the Radio Hallam Jingles from 1974 including Presenter personal Id's/Backing tracks and music beds.

I will try and sort some archive material out on here, but in the meantime if you would like to hear any of the hundreds of jingles/ids and ads from Hallam get in touch. Hope to hear from you soon

Jonny

Guest Noise Heat Power

Hi Mark,

I have so much archive material of Hallam's, my old boss Keith Skues cant even believe just how much I have. When i speak to him at his home in Norfolk and play things over the phone to him the memories flood back.

I must be the only person with all the Radio Hallam Jingles from 1974 including Presenter personal Id's/Backing tracks and music beds.

I will try and sort some archive material out on here, but in the meantime if you would like to hear any of the hundreds of jingles/ids and ads from Hallam get in touch. Hope to hear from you soon

Jonny

You need your own website mate - that stuff sounds fantastic!

My memories are of the late night Martin Kelner Show in the late 70s or was it early 80s? He used to play some really funny clips from films like the recently released Monty Pyton's Life of Brian. There was also an assistant he called the bionic Bot - can't remember her name though.

For a while Martin Kelner had a girlfriend who lived a few doors away from us and I used to see him walking up the road. Used to think it was amazing for some reason !.

Guest nhmacd

does anyone know what happened to all the equiptment when Radio Hallam left Heartshead??

A lot of that equipment was dumped as it would have needed to have been in two places at once. New equipment, such as whole studio electronics, was bought. A lot of the Heartshead gear was very old, having been originally installed in 1974, and was in desperate need of replacement.

It was very depressing to walk away from the old location because of the memories it held but time moves on and a new building was necessary for expansion.

The last time I was in the building was when we were dismantling everything. Leaving for the last time was unsettling and quite emotional. :(

Guest millsands

i went on studio tour in the 70s and met keith skues ray stuart got a photo signed by them both, used to love the kelly temple show on a saturday morning

others i remeber when hallam was good

colin slade used to do the rock show and others think he did a teatime slot

dave kilner

howard pressman

richard tandy he used to do the new wave stuff that was out at the tiem

roger moffat who could forget him brill broadcaster who can forget his tales of his travels on the number 97 from nether edge to town those were so funny

Freddie J Allen another good dj i thought was very underated he used to do hallam countdown and then the old slot left by rodger moffat and freddie did know his music and made a comeback in 2005 i think on magic am, but had great success in the states

Tim Finlay he was a good dj as well back in hull on a local station in the viens of the original hallam and viking

mind you they were all good way back then, i cant think of anyone that sticks out on that station nowadays apart from Big John at breakfast. Bring back some of the old local braodcasting like there used to be in 70s and 80s

Guest paul worth

hello

this is my first post dose any one have any old radio hallam shows on cd

i would love to hear anything from the 1980s

thanks

Guest Colin Slade

colin slade used to do the rock show and others think he did a teatime slot

I did the Rock Show from 1974 to 1989, but that was never my main job- I did afternoon, lunchtime, early evening and weekend breakfasts over the years , and was presentation controller from about 1980 to 87 when I moved to Pennine following the merger which created YRN

Colin

Blimey colin...I used to go to the pig&whistle on a sunday for your rock night (fairly sure it was you anyroad :blink: ) and we'd nip in to the booth to request stuff whilst the record was playing. You'd always play Little Angels stuff for us and for me and my then girlfriend and the rest of the crew that was good enough for us. what a legend!

Happy days indeed...thanks for the memory lol ;-)

Guest andy the dj

My memories are of the late night Martin Kelner Show in the late 70s or was it early 80s? He used to play some really funny clips from films like the recently released Monty Pyton's Life of Brian. There was also an assistant he called the bionic Bot - can't remember her name though.

For a while Martin Kelner had a girlfriend who lived a few doors away from us and I used to see him walking up the road. Used to think it was amazing for some reason !.

the lady martin used to call "The bionic bott" was lynn Mullen

I'd forgotten about the moor the merrier one !!

What about 'cantors.... turn your house into a home' !!

And ----------- Tip toe down to Towngate .

I remember getting a Radio Hallam yearbook sometime in the 70s & I took it to reception to see if anyone could sign it ........ 2 weeks later went back & everyone who was in the year book had signed it. I think its still in my parents house somewhere. (I hope).

If anyone has any old Hallam jingles or progs on CD I would love to buy a copy.

Guest Geoff Edwards

I've some old tapes from 1980 ish. One is Mike Lindsay.

Used to love Roger Moffat - 10 am in the morning was it (when I should have been at college)

And wasn't there one year when both Martin Kelner and Roger Moffat had a "second Christmas."

I now live in the far north of Scotland, and my local Tesco serves Fletchers bread in the cafe. "Fresh as tomorrow"

Your information station is Radio Hallam.............

Guest Geoff Edwards

and what about "Ricky Redgate"

Childrens Champion - Super Saver.

He must be a good age now...........