Radio Hallam

Sheffield History

Occasionally saw Mike Rouse after his lunchtime show on Saturdays, sat on the back steps of the Old Blue Bell, with his sandwich and pint of Guinness - happy days

Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 14.59.10.jpg

Here's an amazing photo of UB40 playing on stage at a Radio Hallam Roadshow.

UB40 went on to become a MASSIVE top 10 band!

• Like 1

Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 15.00.56.jpg

Radio Hallam's mobile recording unit often used on Radio Hallam Roadshows and outside events

Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 15.02.33.jpg

Radio Hallam outside broadcast set up on the Moor outside Debenhams Department Store

• Like 1

Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 15.04.12.jpg

Radio Hallam Presenter Roger Moffatt at work in Studio A , Radio Hallam, Hartshead

Can anyone help me with a full set of the Hallam jingles used in the mid 70's? I am after, in particular, the music beds used. I am seeking the BEST possible quality please. 

On 12/09/2014 at 13:34, Michael Lindsay said:

I used to work at Radio Hallam and am building an archive for ex-staff and other interested people. I am looking for old audio/pictures etc. Please PM me with anything you may be able to contribute.

I am seeking a building plan of the the original hallam layout. Can anyone provide historical info on what the building was used for prior to 1974, and how much conversion to the layout was needed before Hallam opened? Thete is no info on this aspect of hallam anywhere.

I am interested in the full story of radio hallam, right back to day one, and especially regarding the building, the choice of equipment, the installation, and changes that were made during the 70s and 80s.

So in essence, can ANYONE who worked at Hallam in 1974 particularly, get in touch with me, as I am seeking historical info that cannot be found anywhere else. Most of this relates to the layout of the building, and equipment in use.

For example, Hallam opened with what appears to be three GATES turntables with GRAY RESEARCH tonearms, quite standard at the time, but being phased out. In a picture only a year after opening, these turntables have gone, replaced with EMT 930 broadcast turntables. I believe that these were replaced by EMT 950 decks by the end of the 1970's? I am quite sure when I was in the studio in 1978, the EMT 930's had gone. 

1 hour ago, DJ DOVEBOY said:

I am seeking a building plan of the the original hallam layout. Can anyone provide historical info on what the building was used for prior to 1974, and how much conversion to the layout was needed before Hallam opened? Thete is no info on this aspect of hallam anywhere.

I am interested in the full story of radio hallam, right back to day one, and especially regarding the building, the choice of equipment, the installation, and changes that were made during the 70s and 80s.

Welcome to the site

Hopefully someone will see this and come to the rescue for you!

The site of Radio Hallam in Hartshead was originally the auction rooms of J. G. Greaves, which was demolished and the current building erected on the site. I'm not sure, but it think the building was constructed just before the station opened, so I wonder if it was built with the studios as part of the design.

HALLAM FM.jpg

News reporter Alan Biggs just posted this showing his wages and his new job offer!

On 07/10/2020 at 12:55, Mike j said:

Does anyone remember Howard John - would be around late 70's early 80's

Hmmm not a name I'm familiar with

Does anyone remember the Radio Hallam Four Wheel Drive Day event in 1980?
I was only a child but seem to remember it took place on the land next to what was the Sheffield ski village, just below Shirecliffe College (that was), overlooking Hillsborough.
My Dad entered the competition, as did a good friend of his. His friend came 3rd in the manoeuvring challenge and again 3rd in the speed challenge. Radio Hallam had it live on the radio, it was a very muddy day!
If anyone remembers it and has any information or photographs of the event it would be great to hear from them!
Also, if there are any links or access to any archives, please let me know?

Is anyone on here who worked at Hallam in Hartshead during the final week of operation before the move to Herries Road. I have many questions, especially technical, so please do reply to this if you were part of the move out of Hartshead, or were connected with that process. 

Music week article from 1977 with Keith Skues talking about Radio Hallam, having former BBC presenters as DJ's (a controversial move apparently) and being a company director. 

Music-Week-1977-04-30.jpg

Remember a caravan very similar to that (maybe that one ) At Hackenthorpe Gala in the 70s , Roger Moffat was there , he famously named Hackenthorpe  , Royal Hackenthorpe .  We kids were having a look though the windows and saw Roger Moffat have a cheeky drink from his hipflask