St Pauls, Arbourthorne

RichardB

I can remember some of the stones from the the Old St Pauls church stacked up behind & along side the new St Pauls on Arbourthorne in the late sixties, but I dont know what happened to them, probably went to landfill.

Late 1960's would probably be about right for the time that the church on the Arbourthorne was itself demolished.

To be honest, once i stopped going to Sunday School (1966) the church just seemed to disappear without me realising it until it was too late.

It would be a shame if the old stone did just finish up in a landfill somewhere.

Late 1960's would probably be about right for the time that the church on the Arbourthorne was itself demolished.

To be honest, once I stopped going to Sunday School (1966) the church just seemed to disappear without me realising it until it was too late.

It would be a shame if the old stone did just finish up in a landfill somewhere.

I Was married here at St Pauls Saturday 16th Dec 1972 it was still the old church then..

it was very run down though, half the small square windows had been put through.(we had our vandals then)

it was bleak,and cold.no heating,

it wasan't long after it was demolished, and the new one built

I Will try and find the photos out scan them and put a couple on here

just had a look at the photos and just a few was taken in the doorway,so not much use.

(the door was painted blue at the time)

and one of us walking down the isle coming out looks dark and gloomy looks like

they had wooden chairs to sit on not pews.lol

my uncle took the photos for me as a gift so they are not proffesional

and most in black and white,a couple of coloured ones, but close up's

and one outside getting in the car.

oh why didn't he just take one across the road of the whole church.

So sorry not much help here. ;o(

I Was married here at St Pauls Saturday 16th Dec 1972 it was still the old church then..

it was very run down though, half the small square windows had been put through.(we had our vandals then)

it was bleak,and cold.no heating,

it wasan't long after it was demolished, and the new one built

I Will try and find the photos out scan them and put a couple on here

just had a look at the photos and just a few was taken in the doorway,so not much use.

(the door was painted blue at the time)

and one of us walking down the isle coming out looks dark and gloomy looks like

they had wooden chairs to sit on not pews.lol

my uncle took the photos for me as a gift so they are not proffesional

and most in black and white,a couple of coloured ones, but close up's

and one outside getting in the car.

oh why didn't he just take one across the road of the whole church.

So sorry not much help here. ;o(

Thanks for the added info and memories there beemerchez.

It looks like the old church probably went in 1973 then, although I can't remember it actually going, just noticing that one day it just wasn't there.

Strangely, now that you mention it I do remember that the door was blue.

Guest plain talker

Thanks for the added info and memories there beemerchez.

It looks like the old church probably went in 1973 then, although I can't remember it actually going, just noticing that one day it just wasn't there.

Strangely, now that you mention it I do remember that the door was blue.

I can confirm that it was still standing there in mid/ late 1973 to at least 1974, Dave, I quite clearly remember being driven past it as a 9 year old by my father in our white and red Bedford caravette.

I remember it so well, because we were chasing our tails (well, my parents and aunts and uncles were, after my mum's brother was killed in a bike accident in the late summer of 73). On one of the dashes around the city, I got my father and one of my uncles got into a deep pooh. why? Because I couldn't keep my mouth shut that they'd wolf-whistled at some pretty, mini-skirted girls, who were crossing the road just beside St Paul's.

Me and my big mouth, eh? lol

I got my father and one of my uncles got into a deep pooh. why? Because I couldn't keep my mouth shut that they'd wolf-whistled at some pretty, mini-skirted girls, who were crossing the road just beside St Paul's.

Me and my big mouth, eh? lol

That would probably be classed as quite normal male behaviour in 1973, so they would have got away with it.

But now it would be considered sexist, not "Politically Correct" and a totally inappropriate thing to do.

I suppose some things have changed for the better.

Heres A Pic of me stood in the doorway

December 16th 1972 Saturday 3.pm

17 yrs old then.lol

Married quite young if you were only 17 at the time beemerchez

Hey hang on a minute!!!

If you were 17 at the end of '72 that would make you exactly the same age as me.

Did you live on the Arbourthorne and go to one of the local schools?

Ashleigh / Hurlfield / Norfolk?

No Dave

I Went to Carbrook

My parents got a house on Edenhall rd.

when our house was Demolished around 69/70

But I Went to Hatfield house lane.

My Sister Gail went to Norfolk school

No Dave

I Went to Carbrook

My parents got a house on Edenhall rd.

when our house was Demolished around 69/70

But I Went to Hatfield house lane.

My Sister Gail went to Norfolk school

OK beemerchez.

I have contacted you by PM with respect to if we actually know each other

Guest plain talker

That would probably be classed as quite normal male behaviour in 1973, so they would have got away with it.

But now it would be considered sexist, not "Politically Correct" and a totally inappropriate thing to do.

I suppose some things have changed for the better.

I'll tell you what, it wasn't considered correct, politically or otherwise by my mother and my aunt! lol they went totally bananas at my father and my uncle.

(they didn't get away with it:- not without a blasting from mum and aunty!)

that's a lovely photo, by the way, beemerchez! :D

aww thank you P.T you are kind I owe you a pint

I think I look younger now than then.lol

the photography in the 70s wasant as good as nowdays

I think colour had just come in then

aww thank you P.T you are kind I owe you a pint

I think I look younger now than then.lol

the photography in the 70s wasant as good as nowdays

I think colour had just come in then

Colour film was used quite commonly in the 1970's and was widely available.

Amateurs like myself and Stuart who had our own darkrooms to process films avoided colour due to the high cost and trickier processing required to get acceptable results, so we stuck with black and white for much longer, - almost until the digital camera age. I last processed a black and white film in 1993.

We did take colour pictures as well, but always had them done commercially by Click or Max Spielman or a similar company. This was actually cheaper than doing it yourself due to the economies of scale involved. We had to price up to a single batch of 36 prints while big companies would be pricing up to do thousands of prints, of which our 36 was only a small fraction. The disadvantage of commercial processing was the loss of artistic control over the end result, - you got just what they produced. I last took a picture on colour film in 2003. Since then it has all gone digital.

We did process our own colour slides / transparencies as this was cheaper than prints and the reversal processing was relatively straightforward. This had the disadvantage of being a one shot one off with only one copy process.

PT is right, your wedding photo is a good picture. Over the years it seems to have suffered from colour fade, common on 1970's films where the reds slowly fade to a brownish colour.

I am sure that this can be corrected by modern software such as Photoshop in no time and restore your picture to its original appearance.

PT is right, your wedding photo is a good picture. Over the years it seems to have suffered from colour fade, common on 1970's films where the reds slowly fade to a brownish colour.

I am sure that this can be corrected by modern software such as Photoshop in no time and restore your picture to its original appearance.

Just a quick attempt at colour correcting your picture beemerchez

What do you think?

Just a quick attempt at colour correcting your picture beemerchez

What do you think?

Oh my word Dave thats Brilliant thank you

makes my others look awfull now.lol

I Have got photo impact 10.if thats any good?

or what do I need to create these better images from old ones.

Dont suppose you could do something with this my mum and dads wedding pic?

this is my favorate one of them

the church is Darnall where mum and dad lived dad on colford rd.next to club.mum over the wall smith st.

mums flowers was pink carnations.

Thank you again Dave

sorry if this should be in another thread.

the church is Darnall where mum and dad lived dad on colford rd.next to club.mum over the wall smith st.

Thank you again Dave

oh my word thats beautifull thank you so much

wait till my mum sees it :o

just edited to say i have been busy and done all the photos now on adobe photoshop

and they look great,back to when they was first taken, lol

thanks guys for this, mum will be very happy seeing them now.

like it was yesturday :rolleyes:

Thank you again Dave

No problem beemerchez,

I have not used photo impact but most photo editing software seems to offer the same or very similar features for fixing and correcting pictures.

The current favourite or "best" software is Adobe Photoshop, but I use Serif PhotoPlus which is similar and like Photoshop can work with image layers saving the layers seperately. However, most advanced photo editing software like these 2 examples are not easy to use and you need to know what you are doing.

To be honest, to improve your picture I used a very simple and cheap program called Ashampoo Photo Optimiser 3 which can automatically correct most common photo faults at just the click of a button so is ideal for beginners or those with little technical knowledge of image processing.

It looks like Steve has beat me to it with the picture of your parents wedding and I suspect he has used the Adobe PhotoShop program to do this "colourisation"

He has done a fantastic job of it for you and I am sure your parents will love the result.

From the look of your parents wedding I would suspect they were married in the 1950's and this type of colourisation was popular at the time by hand paintinga black & white image, - so it not only improves the picture it also keeps it in the style and fashion of its day.

Note also he has not coloured all the picture just key parts like faces, special dress items and the flowers.

Again this was a common style of the time.

Further to this, colourisation is a slow and laborious process even on a computer, - don't attempt it unless you have a lot of free time and patience.

Steve has clearly put a fair bit of his time and effort into this, - it would have taken him a long time to colourise all of it and the finished rsult probably wouldn't look as good.

My mom used to do occasional work at home, hand-tinting black and whites for photographers. 1950's

It was time consuming and labourious when done traditionally by hand, and isn't any easier if done by digital imaging.

But the results look really good and for a 1950's look are well worth the effort.

Sometimes they have to "guess" the correct colours to use, work from memory, make notes at the time of taking the picture or get an eyewitness account years later as the real colour information has been "lost" by using black and white film.

I remember watching a documentary about the colourisation of the Laurel & Hardy short films which was done in the 1990's. They were colourising "The music box" (the one where L&H have to deliver a piano to a house up a long fkight of stairs), Fortunately the exact location still exists so they could go and have a look, however, they got this really old guy in who used to work on the Hal Roach film lot and he was telling them things like "I think Mr. Laurel was wearing a light brown suit in that film".

If you are having to work very subjectively like that with the colours then the finished results can only be as good as the artist doing the colourisation so the quality of the work is a tribute to their skill.

I've just been reading some comtemporary articles about the demolition of the old (old) St Paul's which I thought would be useful to add here ...

Sheffield Daily Independent 14 Dec 1937
1937-12-14 Ind where will munuments go 1.JPG
1937-12-14 Ind where will munuments go 2.JPG

Just to add to this chronology. I went to Hurlfield School '71-'76 and remember the church. During one woodwork lesson (may have been with Mr Marshall) we were all trooped from the woodwork shop in the West Wing to this church to salvage some items - timber as I recall - for the school. I don't recall the exact date, but i'm guessing it would have been in the final two years there. I also don't remember carrying much, so it could be that there wasn't anything to salvage or that I dodged the heavy work (put your money on the latter)