St Pauls, Arbourthorne

RichardB

When St Pauls was demolished in 1938 it was supposed to be taken down stone by stone and rebuilt on the Arbourthorne estate - anyone any idea whereabouts this was meant to have happened ? (I've no idea by the way).

When St Pauls was demolished in 1938 it was supposed to be taken down stone by stone and rebuilt on the Arbourthorne estate - anyone any idea whereabouts this was meant to have happened ? (I've no idea by the way).

I have discussed this on here before Richard in a number of threads which, if I can remember what they are and where they are I will "link Fairy" them to here.

St. Pauls church, Arbourthorne was (it no longer exists and has been replaced with modern housing) at the corner of East Bank Road and Berners Road.

All that remains on the site now is a large white cross and the vicarage.

I went to Sunday School there in the early 1960's and my younger brother was Christened there, - he is actually called Paul after the church.

The current St Pauls church is "the church of St Paul's and St Leonards" (the church for the Norfolk Park estate)which became "the Beacon" and is housed in what was The Fellbrigg public house on the corner of Arbourthorne Road and Park Grange Road.

The Fellbrigg was my local boozer which I frequented regularly for about 15 years.

Thank you, not an area I'm overly familiar with.

Having lived on the Arbourthorne for about 30 years it's an area I am very familiar with.

In one of the previous posts I am trying to find to link fairy I mentioned that certain "artefacts" from the original St. Pauls were taken to the Arbourthorne church.

At the time I think I asked, -

1)

What exactly were the "artifacts" / "remnants" that were taken to the Arbourthorne church?

2)

What happened to these items when the Arbourthorne church was demolished to build houses?

In fact, - where are these items of local historical interest now?

I didn't receive an answer to either question.

So, as you have raised this topic again Richard, perhaps it's time to re-ask these questions just in case some newer members know anything about it.

Having lived on the Arbourthorne for about 30 years it's an area I am very familiar with.

In one of the previous posts I am trying to find to link fairy I mentioned that certain "artefacts" from the original St. Pauls were taken to the Arbourthorne church.

At the time I think I asked, -

1)

What exactly were the "artifacts" / "remnants" that were taken to the Arbourthorne church?

2)

What happened to these items when the Arbourthorne church was demolished to build houses?

In fact, - where are these items of local historical interest now?

I didn't receive an answer to either question.

So, as you have raised this topic again Richard, perhaps it's time to re-ask these questions just in case some newer members know anything about it.

This site, -

St Pauls Church, Sheffield

Has lots of detail about the original St Pauls church in town and seems to indicate that it was the church bells which were relocated to the Arbourthorne. Although one newspaper clipping implies the entire church was to be dismantled and rebuilt on the Arbourthorne.

Must admit, when I went there in the 1960's it did appear to be a very dark stone built traditional church with a look of age about it.

It did not appear to be a mere 30 years old as a new build on the Arbourthorne in the late 1930's.

Always worth asking again some time later - hopefully someone will come up with something.

When was the Arbourthorne area built please? and what, if anything, was there before ?

As I mentioned not one of my "best known" areas - but then there are plenty of those.

Always worth asking again some time later - hopefully someone will come up with something.

When was the Arbourthorne area built please? and what, if anything, was there before ?

As I mentioned not one of my "best known" areas - but then there are plenty of those.

Arbourthorne estate was built in the mid 1930's

Before that it was open parkland and farmland.

Part of "the great hunting park" in medieval times and more recently was land, like Norfolk Park and its estate, owned by the Duke of Norfolk.

Arbourthorne estate was built in the mid 1930's

Before that it was open parkland and farmland.

Part of "the great hunting park" in medieval times and more recently was land, like Norfolk Park and its estate, owned by the Duke of Norfolk.

Thanks for the update Dave.

This bell from St. Paul's, obviously going somewhere .. picturesheffield

Clearly the town hall in the background and not East Bank Road.

So the bell is leaving the old St Pauls and not arriving at the new.

I must have walked past this one at some time or another, is it still there?

picturesheffield

Let me get this right Steve,

In 1938 that bell was moved from the old St Pauls to the new one on the Arbourthorne.

When the new St Pauls was also demolished (exact date unknown, but certainly by the 1990's) the bell was put on display, in of all places, the Peace Gardens, which is the present day site of the old St. Pauls.

It's almost as if the bell has come home back to where it started from.

I must say I have never noticed the bell in the Peace Gardens, - I will have to look out for it next time I am down there.

I suppose the question is, if it's not there now where is it?

Let me get this right Steve,

In 1938 that bell was moved from the old St Pauls to the new one on the Arbourthorne.

When the new St Pauls was also demolished (exact date unknown, but certainly by the 1990's) the bell was put on display, in of all places, the Peace Gardens, which is the present day site of the old St. Pauls.

It's almost as if the bell has come home back to where it started from.

I must say I have never noticed the bell in the Peace Gardens, - I will have to look out for it next time I am down there.

I suppose the question is, if it's not there now where is it?

Dave,

found out that the bell has no connection to St Pauls,

it's; The Bochum Bell

Dave,

found out that the bell has no connection to St Pauls,

it's; The Bochum Bell

So pictured bell in post #8 is the St. Pauls bell being removed from the original St Pauls

But bell in post #10 is the Bochum Bell from our German twin town.

Still leaves the question where did our St. Paul's bell go and where is it now?

So pictured bell in post #8 is the St. Pauls bell being removed from the original St Pauls

But bell in post #10 is the Bochum Bell from our German twin town.

Still leaves the question where did our St. Paul's bell go and where is it now?

The Chrishobbs article says bells, sounds like there were more than one ..

Quote:

"I do seem to recall that the bells from St Paul's were taken down and re-installed in the church of St Paul's in Arbourthorne"

The Chrishobbs article says bells, sounds like there were more than one ..

Quote:

"I do seem to recall that the bells from St Paul's were taken down and re-installed in the church of St Paul's in Arbourthorne"

Yes, I would have thought it was quite normal to have several bells in a church so that the campanologists (bell ringers) can play those extended peels, chimes and other associated pieces of music.

A single bell would be more likely to be found in a clock tower for striking the hour, in which case it would be operated mechanically by the clock.

Guest plain talker

The "new" Saint Pauls (and the "new-new" Saint Paul's) at Arbourthorne were both made of red-brick.

the 1930's SP was a big building, with round windows. The new SP was a squat, square building like a bungalow.

the old SPs was here, where the newer buildings are:-

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=berners+road+East+bank+road+Sheffield&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=19.196147,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=berners+road&hnear=E+Bank+Rd,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S2,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.35798,-1.443758&spn=0.016494,0.109863&t=h&z=14&layer=c&cbll=53.357956,-1.443783&panoid=A9v302i8FKgsApL3hgK5ig&cbp=11,218.22,,0,3.87

aerial view of the SP Vicarage, with "new-new" SP church adjoining, to the right.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=berners+road+East+bank+road+Sheffield&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=19.196147,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=berners+road&hnear=E+Bank+Rd,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S2,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.357443,-1.444608&spn=0.000287,0.000858&t=h&z=21

slightly better view, with less trees obscuring, here from Multimap

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=berners+road+sheffield&countryCode=GB#map=53.35768,-1.44473|20|32&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:53.35739:-1.44443:20|berners%20road%20sheffield|

church is where the red circle is placed.

When the old St Pauls was demolished the contractor re-used the stone for a number of purposes. Among them were some houses on Trap Lane at Bents Green, mentioned in what I think was my very first post on the forum (which I can't find!)

When the old St Pauls was demolished the contractor re-used the stone for a number of purposes. Among them were some houses on Trap Lane at Bents Green, mentioned in what I think was my very first post on the forum (which I can't find!)

This is the post you made on the 11th of June 2007,

The Peace Gardens

Strange thing is that I remember reading it on the date you posted,

yet I can't remember what I watched on TV last night.

:mellow:

The Peace Gardens

Thanks Steve. You any good with Lottery numbers, winning horses, football pools etc?

Thanks Steve. You any good with Lottery numbers, winning horses, football pools etc?

My memory must be really good.

I can remember that I didn't win the lottery last week, and in fact, I clearly remember not winning every week right back to when it started.

The "new" Saint Pauls (and the "new-new" Saint Paul's) at Arbourthorne were both made of red-brick.

I seem to remember that the "new" St. Pauls (the original Arbourthorne one) that I went to Sunday School at was a fairly traditional looking church building, built as a cross with naves and vestibules and the like, and having a tower.

I can't remember if it was red brick or traditional stone to be honest, BUT it certainly had a traditional stone floor inside as I had endless time to study it in detail whilst sitting patiently, head bowed, through all those prayers, bible readings and sermons.

Guest plain talker

The Peace Gardens

I have the same symptoms, steve, I call it "Almost Alzheimers" lol lol

I can remember what i had for my lunch on my very first day at school over forty years ago, i mean *cough, cough * almost thirty years ago *cough, cough* (lol) I had spaghetti hoops on toast!

but ask me what I had for my tea last night... pffft!! no chance!

I have the same symptoms, steve, I call it "Almost Alzheimers" lol lol

I can remember what i had for my lunch on my very first day at school over forty years ago, i mean *cough, cough * almost thirty years ago *cough, cough* (lol) I had spaghetti hoops on toast!

but ask me what I had for my tea last night... pffft!! no chance!

"Almost Alzheimers" :blink:

Is that what those AA group meetings are all about? :unsure:

Silly me, I thought it was something to do with either alcoholism or being helped out when your car breaks down. lol

I can remember some of the stones from the the Old St Pauls church stacked up behind & along side the new St Pauls on Arbourthorne in the late sixties, but I dont know what happened to them, probably went to landfill.