Robin Hood ?

THYLACINE

Just seen an ad for the new Robin Hood film, looks like Hollywood has given it the full treatment, wide screen, computer generated battle scenes with a cast of thousands and a mean, desparate looking Russel Crowe (never did like the guy). Will someone tell 'em to leave Robin Hood alone, we don't need the untold story, the amazing stunts and fantastic visual effects. Robin Hood was a pleasant man who was always smiling, spent most of his day riding through the glen, shooting arrows into tree trunks, entertaining people in the greenwood - and 'still found plenty of time to sing'. Thats the Robin Hood I want, the one I grew up with - the REAL one.

Just seen an ad for the new Robin Hood film, looks like Hollywood has given it the full treatment, wide screen, computer generated battle scenes with a cast of thousands and a mean, desparate looking Russel Crowe (never did like the guy). Will someone tell 'em to leave Robin Hood alone, we don't need the untold story, the amazing stunts and fantastic visual effects. Robin Hood was a pleasant man who was always smiling, spent most of his day riding through the glen, shooting arrows into tree trunks, entertaining people in the greenwood - and 'still found plenty of time to sing'. Thats the Robin Hood I want, the one I grew up with - the REAL one.

Would the one you grew up with, the real one, be Richard Greene?

Russel Crowe is an Australian, - playing an English hero with an Australian accent, I don't think so!

With due respect to your current place of residence THYLACINE,

Robin Hood robbed from the rich, - and gave to the poor

He didn't rob from the rich, get caught for it and deported to the colonies. lol

Russel Crowe is an Australian, - playing an English hero with an Australian accent, I don't think so!

He didn't rob from the rich, get caught for it and deported to the colonies. lol

Richard Greene didn't play Robin Hood until 1955. Errol Flynn played him in 1938.

Errol Flynn was born in Tasmania.

Richard Greene didn't play Robin Hood until 1955. Errol Flynn played him in 1938.

Errol Flynn was born in Tasmania.

Another Australian.

Like I said in the earlier post, it just isn't good enough to have an Australian playing an English hero. :angry:

So the Real Robin Hood, given his English pedigree, has to be Richard Greene lol

Another Australian.

Like I said in the earlier post, it just isn't good enough to have an Australian playing an English hero. :angry:

So the Real Robin Hood, given his English pedigree, has to be Richard Greene lol

No it's got to be an Englishman playing an English hero!

Think about it,

Would it be acceptable to have a German playing the part of Winston Churchill? :unsure:

Would it be acceptable to have a couple of Frenchmen playing Lord Nelson and the Duke of Wellington? :o

Of course it wouldn't :)

No it's got to be an Englishman playing an English hero!

Think about it,

Would it be acceptable to have a German playing the part of Winston Churchill? :unsure:

Would it be acceptable to have a couple of Frenchmen playing Lord Nelson and the Duke of Wellington? :o

Of course it wouldn't :)

Sorry Dave i did not mean to cause any offence i agree totally that Robin Hood should be played by an English Man

i was just pointing out that the first Actor that played him in film was from where THYLACINE now lives.

Someone whose tastes I know well on another forum watched this film, and has hinted that it is what I had suspected (I am deciding whether to see it)- another shallow Hollywood effort with a colourless lead.

My own concern is that it will fail in comparison to the classic UK 80's TV series, Robin of Sherwood (Ray Winstone, Michael Praed & Jason Connery et al), which made a huge effort to get the Normans looking right, and making great use of beautiful scenery with oak trees- part of the Robin legend?

Not much of this is evident in Ridley Scott's trailer- only beach fights, dour Crowe and forestry woodland? I may be wrong, and will see it eventually...

Sorry Dave i did not mean to cause any offence i agree totally that Robin Hood should be played by an English Man

i was just pointing out that the first Actor that played him in film was from where THYLACINE now lives.

No offence taken at all syrup.

It's just that, as you know from this site, I am very passionate about our history and our heritage.

Someone whose tastes I know well on another forum watched this film, and has hinted that it is what I had suspected (I am deciding whether to see it)- another shallow Hollywood effort with a colourless lead.

My own concern is that it will fail in comparison to the classic UK 80's TV series, Robin of Sherwood (Ray Winstone, Michael Praed & Jason Connery et al), which made a huge effort to get the Normans looking right, and making great use of beautiful scenery with oak trees- part of the Robin legend?

Not much of this is evident in Ridley Scott's trailer- only beach fights, dour Crowe and forestry woodland? I may be wrong, and will see it eventually...

Well JohnE Boy, as someone who is actually more passionate about this period of history than myself, after all you are using an image of one of Robin's contemporary monarchs as your avitar, i have to say that I fully agree with you here.

OK, so a lot of the Robin Hood story is now folklore and legend and it is hard enough trying to sort out the historical facts from the film and TV romantic fantasy of it without another historically incorrect version of Robin Hood coming along to confuse people about his reality even more.

Yes, Richard Greene is the quintessential Robin Hood, he defined the role, just as Basil Rathbone did for Sherlock Holmes. Unfortunately I don't think they showed the Ray Winstone series in this part of the Colonies, pity, he's an actor I really admire, I would like to have seen it.

Neither did I !! Although the first place we lived in Auz was Botany Bay

Yes Dave, I probably will end up seeing Scott's version, so I can comment further (spoilers aside), but those who are unfamiliar with the subject matter may end up totally bewildered?

Ans yes- my avatar is the actor who played Gimli in LoTR (the large John Rhys-Davies in actuality)- here as King Richard I in the 80's Robin series.

Neither did I !! Although the first place we lived in Auz was Botany Bay

Yes, - that's where the ships landed the convicts lol

No offence intended THYLACINE, as I think most of us still here in Britain have some friends or relatives in Australia these days. Mainly I think not due to any thing crimal in their character but possibly because of migration in the "£10 poms" era.

The comedian and BBC radio presenter Mike Harding didn't go down very well with the Australians when he opened his first performance in Australia with the line, -

"Well, it's wonderful to be here in Her Majesty's largest open prison" he he

But having said that I work with someone, now divorced, who married an Australian, lived out there with him and after the divorce came home. With my wiked sense of humour everytime she mentions Australia i have to have some comment, like Mike Hardings, about the country's colonial past.

My own real grievance with Australia is nothing more than the absolutely dire television programmes they make which the BBC and ITV then insist on inflicting on us.

Neighbours, Home & Away, Prisoner Cell Block H, what utter rubbish!!!

Why can't they bring back Skippy the bush kangaroo, the Tinga and Tucker club with auntie Jean and that lad with the Magic Boomerang?

They were better, - but still poor in comparison to our own offerings.

Personally, I wont be happy until we see Robin Hood played by Michael Caine..

"My name, is Robin Hood.

Not many people know that...

You're only supposed to shoot the bloody doors off...!"

Classic! Can't wait!

Personally, I wont be happy until we see Robin Hood played by Michael Caine..

"My name, is Robin Hood.

Not many peiople know that...

You're only supposed to shoot the bloody doors off...!"

Classic! Can't wait!

he hehe helol

Like that one Bayleaf.

Zulu probably has some more appropriate Caine lines than The Italian Job for use in Robin Hood.

How about "Don't wave that bloody spear at me!".

Until watching "Zulu" I never knew that the Zulu chief was called William :mellow:

In the Zulu charge against Caine's company of armed Redcoats after telling them to "hold your fire" several times until the Zulus are in range he then says, -

"Fire at Will" lol

{I'll get mi coat}

Well, I saw Ridley Scott's film, despite Crowe as the star, and was even more unimpressed than other readers!

Russell Crowe is just too dour and lacking in charisma to pull it off and, like the rest of the cast, looked like he didn't want to be in the film? And I don't blame him.

There was little lush, English greenery and 'accurate' (for me) Norman soldiers, as there was in the brilliant Robin of Sherwood, and I couldn't work out why there were at least two Scots in his 'merry band'? Had I missed something, or fallen asleep?

Another Australian.

Well! Before Richard Greene ................. there was Richard Todd - in Walt Disney's excellent 1952 version of the story.

For me, this is the next best screen version of "Robin Hood" after Flynn's, and still stands up very well today.

The supporting cast are terriffic too, with James Hayter being a stand-out as Friar Tuck .......long before he took up with Mr. Kipling !

Well! Before Richard Greene ................. there was Richard Todd - in Walt Disney's excellent 1952 version of the story.

For me, this is the next best screen version of "Robin Hood" after Flynn's, and still stands up very well today.

The supporting cast are terriffic too, with James Hayter being a stand-out as Friar Tuck .......long before he took up with Mr. Kipling !

Walt Disney's version of Robin Hood :blink:

I thought Robin Hood in this version was played by a cartoon fox! <_<

Or am I thinking of something else? :unsure:

The cartoon version was made in 1973: I remember going to the cinema (a rare event for me) to see it, but I don't remember much else about it.

Surely the best Robin Hood film is Robin Hood: Men In Tights.

You're obviously too young to remember the Richard Todd version Dave, or is it the old memory problem?

When the fim came out there was a bit of a row about Crowe's accent - he claimed was his attempt at South Yorkshire but I recall someone remarked it sounded Irish!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/7736056/Russell-Crowe-based-Robin-Hood-accent-on-Michael-Parkinson.html

You're obviously too young to remember the Richard Todd version Dave, or is it the old memory problem?

If it is my memory, which these days seems to work on a "48 hours notice" basis then I will probably remember by the weekend.

If not then I have no idea.

Surely the best Robin Hood film is Robin Hood: Men In Tights.

No it isn't.

We once took 2 bus loads of schoolkids out to the pictures for a "Christmas Special" treat to see "Men in Tights"

Kids thought the film was rubbish and so started to misbehave.

So instead of ME being able to relax and enjoy the film I suddenly had to become "teacher on riot control duty"

Never got to take in much of the film so don't really know what it was about.

Came to the conclusion that if kids didn't like it and wouldn't watch it then it must have been bad.

The cartoon version was made in 1973: I remember going to the cinema (a rare event for me) to see it, but I don't remember much else about it.

Robin Hood was a fox

Maid Marion was a foxy lady

King John was a lion with a pet snake.

End of story really.