For Kathy And Her Next Two Hitch-Hikers (Grenoside Stuff Actually)

RichardB

Not a bad start though I say so myself. Over to you lot, more people please, Pictures old and new, Pubs to cross-check (U/L ?), Picture Sheffield links and mysterious Link Fairie appearances please.

I've added the few dates which we haven't got to the A to Z.

but not the Red Lions & Old Red Lions because they seem to be in

a bit of a muddle with the same landlords at each pub at the same time.

I will go through my Red Lions and sort them out by name and dates.

We locals know them as the Red Lion and the Top Red Lion [Old ]

meaning the one higher up the road.

I was parked outside this little chapel last night , I keep meaning to take a picture of the date stone

which is about 1854 I think.

Someone is living in it and I don't think they would like their home being photograghed

although it is up for sale at the moment.

If its up for sale there are probably loads of photos online ...

Kathy will know this is intended for her and her Dad on Monday when I see her at work (she's just started), but, for any early 70's rock music fans where is the topic title adapted from ? (The gender has been changed, so we need the name that was there originally - nothing at all to do with Sheffield - just a Straight-up Grand tease for anyone that might like a go - the answer via a persons name or an album cover equally valid)

Kathy will know this is intended for her and her Dad on Monday when I see her at work (she's just started), but, for any early 70's rock music fans where is the topic title adapted from ? (The gender has been changed, so we need the name that was there originally - nothing at all to do with Sheffield - just a Straight-up Grand tease for anyone that might like a go - the answer via a persons name or an album cover equally valid)

One of my Top Ten albums and I've known a few; from the tour where "The Man" was pushed off the stage and spent months in a wheelchair.

Masterpeice, sounds like its recorded at the wrong speed and all the better for it !

Good old Cal (Calvin) Schenkel (spelling ?); Weasels Ripped My Flesh .... apparently ...

Try this, The lantern slide (Kodak) has always been shown the wrong way round at Grenoside showings ever since I was young. It probably dates to around 1880

and shows the Hallamshire Rifle Volunteers, probably in Red.

The name Buckedge is a mystery, its Stanley Hill on some OS maps.

A family called Stanley lived at Hunter House about the time of the Photo

Anyone got any more old Grenoside residents; I've got some from 1849 and 1852 to add when I get around to it.

Thank you in advance.

1849 Grenoside Residents

James Allott Spindle maker Grenoside

Matthew Allott Nail maker Grenoside

Joseph Almond Clerk Grenoside

Paul Almond Wood valuer Grenoside

Joseph Ashton Bookkeeper Grenoside

William Ashton Shopkeeper Grenoside

John Bamforth Joiner and wheelwright Grenoside

Thomas Beardshall Blacksmith Nether Houses, Grenoside

William Beardshall Farmer and earthenware dealer Grenoside

Mrs and Misses Bradley Boarding school Greno Lodge, Grenoside

George Broadhead Quarry owners Lane Head, Grenoside

William Brownhill Butcher's steel manufacturer Grenoside

Jesse Burrows Shoemaker Grenoside

William Burrows Painter Grenoside

James Butcher Shoemaker Grenoside

William Coggon Shopkeeper (letters 1/4 before 6 evening) Grenoside

Thomas Copley Penknife manufacturer Lane Head, Grenoside

John Dickinson Joiner and wheelwright Grenoside

Jno Dronfield Clog & brushhead maker Grenoside

William Dronfield Clog & brushhead maker Grenoside

Jane Eastwood Shopkeeper Grenoside

Benjamin Fieldsend Shoemaker Grenoside

William French Blacksmith Grenoside

John Garratt Penknife manufacturer Grenoside

Joseph Garratt Penknife manufacturer Grenoside

James Gillatt Quarry owners Grenoside

William Gledhall Farmer Grenoside

William Gledhall Linen manufacturer Grenoside

Benjamin Green Shopkeeper Grenoside

Benjamin Gregory Quarry owners Grenoside

Abraham Hellewell Shoemaker Grenoside

Ann Hellewell Norfolk Arms (Inn) Grenoside

John Hellewell Shoemaker Grenoside

Martin Heward Farmer Grenoside

Sarah Holmes Quarry owners Grenoside

John Horsfield Screw bolt manufacturer Barnes Green, Grenoside

John Ibberson Butcher Grenoside

Joseph Ibberson Shopkeeper Grenoside

Joseph & William Ibberson Screw bolt manufacturer Grenoside

Julia Jackson Farmer Grenoside

Elizabeth Johnson Farmer Barnes Green, Grenoside

Charles Kay Angel (Inn) Grenoside

Joseph Kirk Shopkeeper Grenoside

Thomas Lint Harrow (Inn) Grenoside

Joseph Marsden Mason Barnes Green, Grenoside

Thomas McGiven Cutlery dealer Grenoside

Hugh Mellor Surgeon Grenoside

Joseph and Sarah Newton Grenoside

Thomas Newton Farmer Crosse House, Grenoside

George Oates Wood agent to the Duke of Norfolk Grenoside

Thomas Ogden Red Lion (Inn) Nether Houses, Grenoside

Captain George Adamson Parker Greno Villa, Grenoside

Joel Redfearn Steel and file manufacturer Grenoside

George Rider B.A. Boarding School Greno Villa, Grenoside

William Sharp Basket maker Grenoside

William Smith Senr., Esq. Barnes Hall, Grenoside

Joseph Swift Red Lion (Inn) Grenoside

Benjamin Taylor Shoemaker Grenoside

Elizabeth (Miss) Thirkill Greno House, Grenoside

Emily (Miss) Thompson Grenoside

Benjamin Tingle File, steel, bolt, screw &c. manufacturer Grenoside

Jonathan Tingle & Co. Iron and brass founders Cinder Hill, Grenoside

William Trickett Schoolmaster Grenoside

Charles Utley Quarry owners Grenoside

Amos Walton Fork maker Grenoside

James Whitaker Farmer Grenoside

Henry Wilson Shopkeeper Grenoside

George Wyke Screw bolt manufacturer Lane Head, Grenoside

1852 Grenoside Residents

Matthew Allott Nail maker Grenoside

Joseph Almond Clerk Grenoside

Paul Almond Wood valuer Grenoside

Joseph Ashton Clerk Grenoside

William Ashton Shopkeeper Grenoside

Joseph Bailey Stonemason Grenoside

John Bamforth Joiner and wheelwright Grenoside

William Beard Farmer Grenoside

Mrs Bedford Farmer Grenoside

Bellemy, Booth and Stanley Ironfounders & Co. Grenoside

Mrs and Misses Bradley Boarding school Greno Lodge, Grenoside

George Broadhead Quarry owners Lane Head, Grenoside

William Brownhill Butcher's steel manufacturer Barnes Green, Grenoside

Jesse Burrows Shoemaker Grenoside

William Burrows Painter Grenoside

James Butcher Shoemaker Grenoside

W. T. Carr Scrap inron & C. manufacturer Lane Head, Grenoside

William Coggon Shopkeeper (letters 1/4 before 6 evening) Grenoside

William Cooper Farmer Grenoside

Thomas Copley Springknife manufacturers Lane Head, Grenoside

John Dale Nail manufacturer Grenoside

Thomas & Mrs Dix Master & Matron Union Workhouse

Jno Dronfield Clog & brushhead maker Grenoside

William Dronfield Clog & brushhead maker Grenoside

William French Blacksmith Grenoside

George Furniss Springknife manufacturer Lane Head, Grenoside

Ezra & W (Joseph ?) Garratt Springknife manufacturer Grenoside

James Gillatt Quarry owners Grenoside

William Gledhall Linen manufacturer Grenoside

William Gledhall Farmer Grenoside

Benjamin Green Shopkeeper Grenoside

Henry Hawksworth Stonemason Grenoside

Henry Hawksworth Shopkeeper Grenoside

Abraham Hellewell Shoemaker Grenoside

Ann Hellewell Norfolk Arms (Inn) Grenoside

John Hellewell Shoemaker Grenoside

George Higgins Fork maker Grenoside

Sarah Holmes Quarry owners Grenoside

John Horsfield Screw bolt manufacturer Barnes Green, Grenoside

John Housley Spindle manufacturer Grenoside

John Howard Farmer Barnes Green, Grenoside

Samuel Ibbotson Butcher's steel manufacturer Grenoside

Sarah Ibbotson Shopkeeper Grenoside

Joseph & William Jackson Screw bolt manufacturer Grenoside

William Jackson Spring & C. manufacturer Grenoside

Elizabeth Johnson Farmer Barnes Green, Grenoside

W. & J. Johnson Farmer Barnes Green, Grenoside

Charles Kay Angel (Inn) Grenoside

Joseph Kirk Shopkeeper Grenoside

Thomas Lint Harrow (Inn) Grenoside

Charles Marsden & Sons Toll collector Barnes Green, Grenoside

Joseph Marsden & Sons Stonemasons Barnes Green, Grenoside

Joseph and Sarah Newton Grenoside

Thomas Newton Farmer Crosse House, Grenoside

George Oates Wood agent to the Duke of Norfolk Grenoside

William Oates Farmer Grenoside

Luke Ogden Red Lion (Inn) Nether Houses, Grenoside

Captain George Adamson Parker Greno Villa, Grenoside

Joel Redfearn Steel and file manufacturer Grenoside

George Rider B.A. Classical & Coml. Boarding Academy Greno House, Grenoside

William Royston Shoemaker Grenoside

William Sharp Basket maker Grenoside

Edward M. Sheldon Esq. Greno Lodge, Grenoside

Willoughby Shepherd Filesmith Grenoside

Joseph Swift Red Lion (Inn) Grenoside

Benjamin Taylor Shoemaker Grenoside

Benjamin Tingle File, steel, bolt, screw &c. manufacturer Grenoside Steel Works

Charles Utley Quarry owners Grenoside

Amos Walton Fork maker Grenoside

James Whittaker Farmer Grenoside

George Wood Farmer Grenoside

George Wyke Screw bolt manufacturer Lane Head, Grenoside

Plenty of snicles too !

12 October 1819

It is with painful feelings we record the following tragical story, the scene of which was in the neighbourhood of Wortley :—

Early on Sunday morning, as two of the gamekeepers belonging to J. A. S. Wortley, esq., were going their usual rounds,

they perceived four men approaching on the high road, who they immediately suspected were bent on unlawful sport.

They would have concealed themselves in a contiguous quarry to watch their motions, but, believing themselves already seen,

they proceeded on till tliey met, when one of them familiarly accosted the first of the company (whom he knew) by saying,

" Well, my lad, thou hast hast got thy gun with thee this morning and (stroking him on his waistcoat,) plenty of snicles too !"

The fellow, immediately replying,

" What, do you want to rob me?"

presented his piece and fired, the contents passing completely through the body of the keeper. He had no sooner fallen, than

they all instantly attacked his companion, and knocked him down with the butt end of his gun; while they were beating him

with sticks, a cry of

"Stick him, stick him,"

was overheard by the unfortunate man who was already wounded: the soundsuddenly rousing him to a vigorous effort,

he managed to seize his gun, and to level it at the group as they were engaged in the barbarous attack upon his comrade.

The shot took effect upon one of them, and brought him down, when the other three immediately fled. The gamekeeper, being

released, though dreadfully bruised, crawled to a cottage not far distant,and spread an alarm.

Warrants were immediately procured, and search made. The man who had been shot by the first keeper was found in bed at

his own house, and is likely to recover ; another (the man who shot the keeper) was apprehended,and brought yesterday to

Sheffield gaol, and the remaining two have absconded.

They all resided in the neighbouring village of Grenoside.

The keeper who fell under the attack of the whole gangwas not dangerously hurt, but his wounded colleague, died yesterday.

Guest Trefcon

There is a very old headstone to a gamekeeper in St Leonards? at Wortley that was murdered, wonder if it's the same one ? Its immediately in front of you as you walk through the Great War memorial Lych Gate, if memory serves me right!

Dean.

There is a very old headstone to a gamekeeper in St Leonards? at Wortley that was murdered, wonder if it's the same one ? Its immediately in front of you as you walk through the Great War memorial Lych Gate, if memory serves me right!

Dean.

Look forward to a picture if anyone is passing that way.

Thanks for the information

Trefcon/Dean combination

Anyone got any more old Grenoside residents; I've got some from 1849 and 1852 to add when I get around to it.

Thank you in advance.

Workhouse Losses (from an old newspaper cutting)

10th Nov 1917

On Saturday Elizabeth Hall, who was admitted to Grenoside Workhouse in 1880, died at the age of 76. Old Betty, as she was fondly known, was the character of the institution. She was witty and full of quaint sayings and generally liked. She was of an industrious nature, clever with the needles and knitted and repaired hundreds of pairs of stockings.

Earlier in the week another noted inmate Emily Roberts aged 73 years died. For 14 years she had been in the Workhouse Infirmary but in spite of her affliction she continually gave evidence of a happy disposition. Because of her extraordinary fondness for versifying she was commonly called the 'poetess'. The bible was her constant companion and she had a remarkable knowledge of its contents. She was laid to rest in Burnt Cross Cemetery.

Lyn

Plenty of snicles too !

12 October 1819

It is with painful feelings we record the following tragical story, the scene of which was in the neighbourhood of Wortley :—

Early on Sunday morning, as two of the gamekeepers belonging to J. A. S. Wortley, esq., were going their usual rounds,

they perceived four men approaching on the high road, who they immediately suspected were bent on unlawful sport.

They would have concealed themselves in a contiguous quarry to watch their motions, but, believing themselves already seen,

they proceeded on till tliey met, when one of them familiarly accosted the first of the company (whom he knew) by saying,

" Well, my lad, thou hast hast got thy gun with thee this morning and (stroking him on his waistcoat,) plenty of snicles too !"

The fellow, immediately replying,

" What, do you want to rob me?"

presented his piece and fired, the contents passing completely through the body of the keeper. He had no sooner fallen, than

they all instantly attacked his companion, and knocked him down with the butt end of his gun; while they were beating him

with sticks, a cry of

"Stick him, stick him,"

was overheard by the unfortunate man who was already wounded: the soundsuddenly rousing him to a vigorous effort,

he managed to seize his gun, and to level it at the group as they were engaged in the barbarous attack upon his comrade.

The shot took effect upon one of them, and brought him down, when the other three immediately fled. The gamekeeper, being

released, though dreadfully bruised, crawled to a cottage not far distant,and spread an alarm.

Warrants were immediately procured, and search made. The man who had been shot by the first keeper was found in bed at

his own house, and is likely to recover ; another (the man who shot the keeper) was apprehended,and brought yesterday to

Sheffield gaol, and the remaining two have absconded.

They all resided in the neighbouring village of Grenoside.

The keeper who fell under the attack of the whole gangwas not dangerously hurt, but his wounded colleague, died yesterday.

Grenoside man hanged at York

Entry from an 'Old Ecclesfield Diary' 1819

'Sunday morning about 3'o'clock, Septr. 10th,Samuel Booth, Garrott, Ben Bower and J Bower, all armed With Gunns was met upon Warncliffe Moor By Mr Wortley's Stuards or Game Tenters Thos. Parkin & Joseph Parkin. Samuel Booth shot Thom. Parkin In to the Left Side & Thos. Parkin Fell to the Ground. The other 3 Set to Beating Joseph Parkin with the Butt of the Gunn Thos, Parkin Died of his Wounds Soon after, The Croner Inquests Jury Brought in there Verdits against S. Booth, Garrott and John & Benj. Bower Who was Comited to York Castle and Take there Trials the Next Lent Assises For the County of York 1820.' [sic]

Sheffield Mercury

October 16, 1819

It is with painful feelings that we record the following tragical story, the scene of which was in the neighbourhood of Wortley: rarely on a Sunday morning, as two of the gamekeepers belonging to J.A.S Wortley, Esq, were going their usual rounds, they perceived four men approaching on the high road, they immediately suspected they were bent on unlawful sport. They would have concealed themselves in a contiguous quarry to watch their motions, but believing themselves to already seen, they proceeded on till they met, when one of them familiarly accosted the first of the company (whom he knew) by saying, "Well, my lad, thou hast got thy gun with thee this morning, and (stroking him on his waistcoat,)"plenty of snicles too!" - The fellow immediately, replying, "What, do you want to rob me?" presented his piece, and fired, the contents passing through the body of the keeper. He had no sooner fallen than they attacked his companion, and knocked him down with the butt-end of the gun; while they were beating him with sticks, a cry of, "Stick him, Stick him," was overheard by the unfortunate man who was already wounded: the sound rushing him to a vigorous effort, he managed to seize his gun, and to level it at the group as they were engaged on the barbarous attack on his comrade. The shot took effect upon one of them and brought him down, when the other three immediately fled. The gamekeeper being released, though dreadfully bruised, crawled to a cottage not far distant, and spread the alarm. The man who had been shot by the first keeper was found in bed at his own house, and is likely to recover: another (the man who shot the keeper) was apprehended, and brought on Monday to Sheffield gaol; and the remaining two have absconded. They all reside in the neighbouring village of Grenoside. The keeper who fell under the attack of the whole gang, was not dangerously hurt, but his wounded colleague, we are grieved to add, died on Monday. A Coroner's inquest, we are informed, brought in a verdict of Wilful Murder. [sic]

Entry from an 'Old Ecclesfield Diary' 1820

'Saml. Booth of Grenoside Exicuted at York for Shooting Thom. Parkin upon Wharncliffe Moore October 9th 1819. Exicuted March 13 1820' [sic]

The Sheffield Mercury

Saturday March 18th 1820

Yorkshire Lent Assizes

The following prisoners, in addition to those mentioned in our last, have taken their trials at these assizes.

Trials for Murder.

Samuel Booth, William Garrett and Benjamin Bower, charged with the murder of Thomas Parkin, a gamekeeper in the service of James Archibald Stuart Wortley, Esq, on the 10th of Oct last, at Tankersley, by shooting him through the body.

Mr Cross stated the case on the part of the prosecution, and afterwards called the following witness:

Joseph Parkin stated that he was employed by Mr Stuart Wortley to take care of his game, and look after poachers. On the night of the 9th of Oct, Witness, and Thomas Parkin, the deceased, went out to look after poachers: about four o clock, they saw four men upon the road coming towards them. Witness proposed to Thomas Parkin to go out of the way. William Garrett, one of the prisoners ran towards them, the other three running close after him, when Garrett came upon them, Thomas Parkin put his hand on his shoulder, and said, What, my lad, is it you? They then passed the two Bowers but said nothing to them: the fourth man, had a gun, and was not more than a yard or two behind them. Thomas Parkin went up to him and said, What, Sam, though hast got a gun I see: he put his hand on the outside of his pocket and said, and, "thou hast got a pocketful of snickles." Sam. Booth said, - "Damn thy soul, thou are going to rob me?" He turned round, and presented the gun, and immediately shot Thomas Parkin, who fell down, and said, Oh! I am shot. The moment the deceased fell, the other man seized the witness, and Booth struck him on the head and shoulder with the butt-end of the gun-Witness felt other blows, but does not know from whom they came. Witness heard one of the men say- Hit him, hit him, or stick him, stick him, he couldn't tell which, - It was john Bowers voice. At this moment he heard a gun go off and then, becoming much more at liberty, he ran of to procure assistance: but when he returned to search for the deceased, he was gone, and he afterwards, found him in a cottage near the roadside. Witness said the deceased died on the following-evening. The shot entered his left side and came out at the back. Witness, said on his cross examination there was no struggling before the shot was fired, and no assault was committed on any of the prisoners, either by the deceased or himself.

The desposition of the deceased, taken under the impression of immediate death, was then put in and read; and agreed in almost every particular with the statement of the proceeding witness, and which expressly denied that there had been any struggle between the parties.

Mr Hounsfield, surgeon, of Sheffield, stated that the shot was the occasion of the death of the deceased.

Dr Young, and Mr Hounsfield proved the despotion of the deceased, which was taken when he was under the impression that death was inevitable.

Some other witnesses were examined, but their evidence was not very material, except that the Constable, who stated that Booth, alleged that the gun had gone off by accident.

Mr Coultman and Mr Jones, on the part of Wm. Garrett and Benj. Bower, contended that that the firing of the gun by Bower was not in pursuance of any common object, in which they were jointly engaged; and therefore that they were not answerable for the acts of Booth. His Lordship said that was a consideration of the jury: no witnesses were called on the part of the prisoners.

His Lordship said, if the jury were satisfied of the fact that the deceased being wilfully shot by the prisoner, Booth, the jury were to consider whether the other prisoners were involved in the same transaction, and went out determined to join in any resistance that might be offered to their designs. If so, they would be equally guilty with the man who actually shot the deceased. The Jury; without retiring, found all the prisoners - Guilty.

His lordship immediately passed sentence of death upon the prisoners, who were ordered for execution on Monday.

We are to learn, that Mr Wortley, with characteristic humanity, made the most earnest intercession for the two younger, and that he happily succeeded in obtaining a reprieve for them.

On Monday noon, the sentence of law was executed on Samuel Booth. The unfortunate man appeared after his sentence to be obdurate, and insensible of his awful situation; but afterwards, through the consolatory admonitions of the worthy clergyman, the Ordinary of the Castle, he became resigned to his unhappy fate, and died penitently. [sic]

Research

William Garrett was probably one of the twin sons born 29th July 1801 to Joseph Garrett & his wife of Skew Hill, Grenoside. The other twin was named Joseph after his father; probably being the elder of the two and their baptism on the 9th Aug 1801 is recorded in the parish register of St Marys Ecclesfield.

John & Benjamin Bower were probably the sons of Thomas Bower of Grenoside, John baptised at St Marys Ecclesfield 26 Dec 1796 and Benjamin born Nov 7th and baptised also at St Marys on 30th Nov 1800.

Samuel Booth I have been unable to identify as having been a Grenoside born man though there is a Samuel son of Benjamin Booth of Chapeltown who was baptised 22nd Jan 1775, making him quite a bit older than the others.

Lyn

Often wondered where the actual events took place. Wharncliffe Moor usually identified on OS maps, (1850 below) The later musket range.

No doubt the moor would have been more extensive and without the 19th century walls.

The road in question I imagine would be the Turnpike, I was told locally the cottage mentioned was Cundy.

Mike

Often wondered where the actual events took place. Wharncliffe Moor usually identified on OS maps, (1850 below) The later musket range.

No doubt the moor would have been more extensive and without the 19th century walls.

The road in question I imagine would be the Turnpike, I was told locally the cottage mentioned was Cundy.

Mike

Not changed much has it.

Flash Earth

Not changed much has it.

Flash Earth

Very nicely done! Thirty years earlier I think the moor would have extended north where we have a Moorside Farm?

Incidently, one of the Earls was a drainage expert whos work I think, is evident on our pictures, anyone with time on their hands could try and figure out how he created the Cascade Rock on the crags, its beaten me for years.( Is this another topic?)

Mike

Dividend Aug 1833

Thomas Tingle, of Grenoside, Ecclesfield and of Sheffield, iron founder and steel burner; second and final Dividend.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Now looking for when he was declared Bankrupt.

The Reading Room in Grenoside has been awarded £21,000 by the

Heritage Lottery Fund.

It was built in 1807 and is the only listed building in Grenoside.

It was built by local subscription for the benefit of educating the local

children.

Ecclesfield Parish Council were the custodians of the building

from thre late 1890s until 2007.