I'm Twice The Man My Wife Is ...

RichardB

Part of step-daughters Uni work, Tinywifelette and me got measured for height and weight. She's small and a normal weight, I'm just under 6 feet tall and to within 4lbs twice her weight.

Step-daughter promised not to tell me my BMI, I estimated it as "just the correct side of dead".

Part of step-daughters Uni work, Tinywifelette and me got measured for height and weight. She's small and a normal weight, I'm just under 6 feet tall and to within 4lbs twice her weight.

Step-daughter promised not to tell me my BMI, I estimated it as "just the correct side of dead".

Not far off Richard, I think the correct descriptor for a person of exceptionally high body mass index is "Morbidly Obese".

This translates into something similar to "just the correct side of dead", but more literally it probably means "dead fat" :o

Not far off Richard, I think the correct descriptor for a person of exceptionally high body mass index is "Morbidly Obese".

This translates into something similar to "just the correct side of dead", but more literally it probably means "dead fat" :o

Does a "normal" BMI have three figues ??? Always thought it was a percentage ... :rolleyes: :)

Does a "normal" BMI have three figues ??? Always thought it was a percentage ... :rolleyes::)

It's based on a calculation using your height and weight (body mass) which to me seems to have no scientific logic behind it at all.

However, it is supposed to equate roughly to your % body fat.

Only know mine because of frequent routine medicals.

Ideally it should be 25 or less, mine is marginally over 25, it was 27 (Overweight) but is now down to 25.1

Still doesn't stop me from getting a telling off because it is too high though :angry:

Here you go Richard.

If you are confident with a few simple measurements and a bit of simple arithmetic (or use a calculator)

You can calculate your own BMI

Calculate your BMI

Good job I'm 6 foot 6 then lol

Here you go Richard.

If you are confident with a few simple measurements and a bit of simple arithmetic (or use a calculator)

You can calculate your own BMI

Calculate your BMI

I'll wait until I've finished growing - about 8 foot, 7 ought to do it - plus I'll get basketball sponsorship ...

Being only 5'6" doesn't bother me. My Mom told me I'll be tall when I grow up.

(Should be any time soon. lol)

Having just checked my BMI, I conclude that I am a bit short for my weight :olol

Aunty Edna always referred to overweight people as being 'stout'

she also use to describe some people as being 'big boned'

never did work out what that was supposed to mean :blink:

They say as you get older, you shrink in height - well the weight has to go somewhere and in my case it gets squashed sideways.

Or at least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Lyn

Good job I'm 6 foot 6 then lol

Since when have you been 6 foot 6 !!

You've got an open plan staircase and you were stood on the second step up when you got measured lol

I seem to remember that this is the sort of rubbish you tell your doctor.

"Stout" and "Stocky" seemed to refer to someone who was short and so looked fattish for their diminished height.

"Big Boned" seemed to refer to a giant of a person where all their features were in perfect proportion but biggger than normal.

Then again perhaps Auntie Edna was just being polite and didn't like to call anyone "fat" or "flabby" which could be quite insulting I suppose.

They say as you get older, you shrink in height - well the weight has to go somewhere and in my case it gets squashed sideways.

Or at least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Lyn

Yes, as you get older you shrink in height which means that even if your weight stays the same your BMI will increase.

My nurse once admitted this to me in a more serious health conversation and said that once you are past 50 we try to tell you to get your weight / BMI down if you can, but to be honest if you can keep it at what it is without it rising you are actually making progress.

Since when have you been 6 foot 6 !!

You've got an open plan staircase and you were stood on the second step up when you got measured lol

I seem to remember that this is the sort of rubbish you tell your doctor.

Its like any mathmatical equation if you know 2 out 3 you can work the 3rd out

BMI is 25

weight is XXst XXlb

so I need to be about 6 foot 6 to make the equation balance.

Its like any mathmatical equation if you know 2 out 3 you can work the 3rd out

BMI is 25

weight is XXst XXlb

so I need to be about 6 foot 6 to make the equation balance.

No Stuart YOUR BMI isn't 25, - that's the "ideal" value!! ;-)

In maths working backwards from a desired result to make the figures fit is called "fiddling it", "cheating", "fixing the books" or in our case, according to Man Everatt "being a cocky 'Erbert"

Pop Ward would have caned you for doing that in one of his lessons :o

On the other hand Man Rosenberg would have given you full marks B)

Guest suzy

No Stuart YOUR BMI isn't 25, - that's the "ideal" value!! ;-)

In maths working backwards from a desired result to make the figures fit is called "fiddling it", "cheating", "fixing the books" or in our case, according to Man Everatt "being a cocky 'Erbert"

Pop Ward would have caned you for doing that in one of his lessons :o

On the other hand Man Rosenberg would have given you full marks B)

If you have a Wii Fit Plus that will work out your BMI, as long as you know your weight and DOB that is lol

Got it as an Xmas prezzie from hubby (think he was trying to tell me something) B)

If you have a Wii Fit Plus that will work out your BMI, as long as you know your weight and DOB that is lol

Got it as an Xmas prezzie from hubby (think he was trying to tell me something) B)

Now I have a pair of electronic bathroom scales rather than a Wii Fit

The bathroom scales, as well as taking your weight also passes a small electric current through your feet up one leg and down the other

(So small a current, from a small watch battery, that you can't feel a thing)

The measurements allow it to tell you

Weight

BMI as a % Body Fat

% Water

% Muscle tissue

Basal Rate Metabolism (How much energy your body is using while at rest.)

To enable it to do this you have to tell it

Your Height

Your Age

Quite clever really, and I like it because it tells me my BMI is less than the calculated value, bringing it down to a more acceptable level.