Bombs In Shiregreen Area

Hello

I have recently been looking at a bomb map of sheffield and was wondering if anyone has any info about a bomb that appears on the map at the corner of Windmill lane and Marigold close.I know a land mine landed on Heather road and another on Daffodil road.Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this other bomb?Also if anyone has any knowledge of other bombs in the general area I would be greatful!

Cheers for any info

Ron

Hello

I have recently been looking at a bomb map of sheffield and was wondering if anyone has any info about a bomb that appears on the map at the corner of Windmill lane and Marigold close.I know a land mine landed on Heather road and another on Daffodil road.Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this other bomb?Also if anyone has any knowledge of other bombs in the general area I would be greatful!

Cheers for any info

Ron

Hi Ron

The following letter appeared in the Sheffield Star dated 29 January 2010

I'VE been reading with interest the current editions of your Retro supplement in Saturday's Star and notice references to the Sheffield Blitz of December 112 and 15, 1940, which claimed 602 lives, seriously injured another 513 people and a further 1,058 suffered slight injuries.

This is covered year on year, thus giving the impression that this was the only time the Luftwaffe paid a visit to Sheffield when, as the following information shows, this was not the case.

Although these other 15 incidents were admittedly not as

major an event as December 1940, nevertheless injuries and fatalities did result. Yet I can thus far find no further information about them so I was wondering if any readers could shed any additional light.

Air raids: August 18, 1940 - Blackbrook Road, near Cottage Homes (no injuries), August 20, 1940 - Standon Road; Wincobank (no injuries), August 29, 1940 - Sheaf Street; Finlay Street; St. Phillips District (four dead, 17 seriiously hurt, 61 slight injuries), August 31, 1940 - Cooks Wood Road; Rutland Road (three seriously injured, 20 slight injuries), September 11, 1940 - Brett Street; Worthing Road (one dead, two seriious injuries, one slight injury), September 26, 1940 - Carbrook; Tinsley district(three dead, 11 serioiusly injured, 11 slight injuries), October 15, 1940 - Concord Park; Woolley Wood Road (no inuries), January 9, 1941 - Dore (one slight injury), January 16, 1941 - Aldine Court; Sheaf Street; Glossop Road (three slight injuries), February 4, 1941 - Slayleigh Avenue (one dead, one seriously hurt, four slight injuries), March 14, 1941 - Southey Hill area (land mines); Northumberland Road (eight killed, 29 seriously hurt, 29 slight injuries), May 9, 1941 - Little London (Stokes Works); Hastings Road; Cemetery Road (two killed, 11 seriously injured, 25 minor injuries), October 12, 1941 - Ellesmere Road; Scott Road; Grimesthorpe Road (eight killed, two seriously hurt, 17 minor injuries), October 20, 1941 - AA Shell in Clarkehouse Road (no bombs) (two killed), July 28, 1942 - incendiaries at Hunter's Bar (no injuries).

The total of deaths from air raids over Sheffield was 631 with another 589 seriously injured and 1,228 sustaining slight injuries.

Michael Parker, Robertshaw Crescent, Deepcar

The mine that exploded on Southey Hill on 14 March 1941killed two families

Redfern Anthony 2 yrs 14 Mar 1943 43 Southey Hill

Redfern Ellen 43 yrs 14 Mar 1943 43 Southey Hill

Redfern Joyce 15 yrs 14 Mar 1943 43 Southey Hill

Redfern Kathleen 20 yrs 14 Mar 1943 43 Southey Hill

Redfern William 42 yrs 14 Mar 1943 43 Southey Hill

who are buried together in Sheffield's City Road Cemetery -

REDFEARN (Killed in air raid, age 42).

Died at Southey Hill; Buried on March 19, 1941 in General Portion ground; Grave Number 7462, Section J of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.

Makin Betty 17 yrs 14 Mar 1941 41 Southey Hill

Makin Doris 43 yrs 14 Mar 1941 41 Southey Hill

Makin Jean 9 yrs 14 Mar 1941 41 Southey Hill

Makin Peter 45 yrs 14 Mar 1941 41 Southey Hill

Makin Roy 14 yrs 14 Mar 1941 41 Southey Hill

There are photographs of the aftermath of the explosion - the properties were more or less demolished

More information on the tragedy can be found on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/34/a3594134.shtml

A raid had started and we were in the shelter. Dad was out fire watching in the area, Harry Rainsford from next door was on duty at the A.R.P. post at Southey Green School so we were in their shelter keeping his wife and mother-in-law company. There was a tremendous bang and we heard some thing hit the house wall, I was sitting at the far end of the shelter on a bunk when what appeared to be a tongue of flame licked through the entrance and I was lifted up and banged against the shelter wall. It was the blast from one of the land mines that were dropped by parachute. It landed at the top of Southey Hill opposite St Bernard's Church which was only a prefab type building and it was flattened. The houses across were completely destroyed and the families wiped out. One of the large families was the Redfern's - I knew the lads because they were at my school and one was in my class. We found out what the bang on the wall was. Dad was just coming back to see we were alright when the mine exploded and it was his steel helmet that had blown off.

Contributed by

Jane_Hyatt

People in story: Don Hibberd - Interviewed by Sarah Hyatt

Location of story : Sheffield

Background to story: Civilian

Article ID: A3594134

Contributed on: 30 January 2005

Hope it helps

On 11/05/2010 at 08:26, ceegee said:

Hi Ron

The following letter appeared in the Sheffield Star dated 29 January 2010

I'VE been reading with interest the current editions of your Retro supplement in Saturday's Star and notice references to the Sheffield Blitz of December 112 and 15, 1940, which claimed 602 lives, seriously injured another 513 people and a further 1,058 suffered slight injuries.

This is covered year on year, thus giving the impression that this was the only time the Luftwaffe paid a visit to Sheffield when, as the following information shows, this was not the case.

Although these other 15 incidents were admittedly not as

major an event as December 1940, nevertheless injuries and fatalities did result. Yet I can thus far find no further information about them so I was wondering if any readers could shed any additional light.

Air raids: August 18, 1940 - Blackbrook Road, near Cottage Homes (no injuries), August 20, 1940 - Standon Road; Wincobank (no injuries), August 29, 1940 - Sheaf Street; Finlay Street; St. Phillips District (four dead, 17 seriiously hurt, 61 slight injuries), August 31, 1940 - Cooks Wood Road; Rutland Road (three seriously injured, 20 slight injuries), September 11, 1940 - Brett Street; Worthing Road (one dead, two seriious injuries, one slight injury), September 26, 1940 - Carbrook; Tinsley district(three dead, 11 serioiusly injured, 11 slight injuries), October 15, 1940 - Concord Park; Woolley Wood Road (no inuries), January 9, 1941 - Dore (one slight injury), January 16, 1941 - Aldine Court; Sheaf Street; Glossop Road (three slight injuries), February 4, 1941 - Slayleigh Avenue (one dead, one seriously hurt, four slight injuries), March 14, 1941 - Southey Hill area (land mines); Northumberland Road (eight killed, 29 seriously hurt, 29 slight injuries), May 9, 1941 - Little London (Stokes Works); Hastings Road; Cemetery Road (two killed, 11 seriously injured, 25 minor injuries), October 12, 1941 - Ellesmere Road; Scott Road; Grimesthorpe Road (eight killed, two seriously hurt, 17 minor injuries), October 20, 1941 - AA Shell in Clarkehouse Road (no bombs) (two killed), July 28, 1942 - incendiaries at Hunter's Bar (no injuries).

The total of deaths from air raids over Sheffield was 631 with another 589 seriously injured and 1,228 sustaining slight injuries.

Michael Parker, Robertshaw Crescent, Deepcar

The mine that exploded on Southey Hill on 14 March 1941killed two families

Redfern Anthony 2 yrs 14 Mar 1943 43 Southey Hill

Redfern Ellen 43 yrs 14 Mar 1943 43 Southey Hill

Redfern Joyce 15 yrs 14 Mar 1943 43 Southey Hill

Redfern Kathleen 20 yrs 14 Mar 1943 43 Southey Hill

Redfern William 42 yrs 14 Mar 1943 43 Southey Hill

who are buried together in Sheffield's City Road Cemetery -

REDFEARN (Killed in air raid, age 42).

Died at Southey Hill; Buried on March 19, 1941 in General Portion ground; Grave Number 7462, Section J of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.

Makin Betty 17 yrs 14 Mar 1941 41 Southey Hill

Makin Doris 43 yrs 14 Mar 1941 41 Southey Hill

Makin Jean 9 yrs 14 Mar 1941 41 Southey Hill

Makin Peter 45 yrs 14 Mar 1941 41 Southey Hill

Makin Roy 14 yrs 14 Mar 1941 41 Southey Hill

There are photographs of the aftermath of the explosion - the properties were more or less demolished

More information on the tragedy can be found on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/34/a3594134.shtml

A raid had started and we were in the shelter. Dad was out fire watching in the area, Harry Rainsford from next door was on duty at the A.R.P. post at Southey Green School so we were in their shelter keeping his wife and mother-in-law company. There was a tremendous bang and we heard some thing hit the house wall, I was sitting at the far end of the shelter on a bunk when what appeared to be a tongue of flame licked through the entrance and I was lifted up and banged against the shelter wall. It was the blast from one of the land mines that were dropped by parachute. It landed at the top of Southey Hill opposite St Bernard's Church which was only a prefab type building and it was flattened. The houses across were completely destroyed and the families wiped out. One of the large families was the Redfern's - I knew the lads because they were at my school and one was in my class. We found out what the bang on the wall was. Dad was just coming back to see we were alright when the mine exploded and it was his steel helmet that had blown off.

Contributed by

Jane_Hyatt

People in story: Don Hibberd - Interviewed by Sarah Hyatt

Location of story : Sheffield

Background to story: Civilian

Article ID: A3594134

Contributed on: 30 January 2005

Hope it helps

Hello

I was very interested in reading about the other raids on Sheffield other than Dec 1940. I lived on Shiregreen for a few years about 15 years ago I walked my dogs in Concord park from Concord rd, and I noticed there were numerous craters as you walk into the woods and I often thought if they were bomb craters, could possibly be as the rd parallel to the woods was hit in 1941.

Hi, have stumbled across your post. My mum lived in Daffodil Rd in the war years and often spoke of the air raid shelter in their garden which they used but disliked. Said they were bombed because of the gasometer at the end of their street....

Cheers

Carol

I know Daffodil Road and I reckon the nearest gasholders would be some distance away on Upwell Street / Brightside Lane and  Tyler Street/ Lower Wincobank.....but ,no doubt, someone will find a map showing their actual position.

The Luftwaffe used a beam system to identify targets... but  early night time bombing, by both sides, was often inaccurate.... A few years into the War and the RAF investigated the results of its bombing and found only a small percentage of the bombs dropped fell within 5 miles of the intended target....so they went in for area bombing!