Sipelia Works - Cadman Street

vox

Recently visited Adam Engineering which is based in Sipelia Works.

The building underwent renovation in 2007 and is partly converted into some sort of community home.

"Sipelia Works on Cadman Street is closely tied to the history of steel making and the cutlery trade of the 19th and 20th centuries. Built for Eyre, Ward & Co between 1850 and 1855 it represents not only the industrialisation of Sheffield , but also the development of a city, the growth of the nations in North and South America and the movement from rural to urban life."

Source: Emmaus website

Sipelia-Works-Cadman St (5).JPG Sipelia-Works-Cadman St (2).JPG Sipelia-Works-Cadman St (3).JPG

Any more history ?

I'm interested in this area at the moment. The Emmaus site says the building dates from 1850-55 and the Ordnance Survey maps of 1855, 1863, and 1873 all show a smaller building than exists now. Inside Emmaus the yard has an arch dated 1873 which I suspect is the enlargement (or one of them) of the buildings. Anyone know anything...?

The works was part of the Sheaf Works complex.  A search of this site brings up some interesting threads.

1338713613_SheafWorks1889.png.a65f678852a75776a4257a49aaee7a5d.png

In 1931 Benno Sippel and Julius Sippel arrived from Germany to install heavy-duty presses and then started in the spoon and fork trade. The firm was liquidated in 1970.

• Like 1

On 15/03/2022 at 10:37, History dude said:

The links on this thread just return you to this page.

Thanks for the report, link now fixed

On 14/03/2022 at 19:09, Calvin72 said:

I'm interested in this area at the moment. The Emmaus site says the building dates from 1850-55 and the Ordnance Survey maps of 1855, 1863, and 1873 all show a smaller building than exists now. Inside Emmaus the yard has an arch dated 1873 which I suspect is the enlargement (or one of them) of the buildings. Anyone know anything...?

Hi Calvin, there are some good photos on PICTURE SHEFFIELD of the works, they might be of interest to you.